Hey, Ruger guys, price check please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Hey, Ruger guys, price check please

Post by jnyork »

Standard Model Ruger 44 Carbine, born in 1963, 95% or so. what's it worth? Thanks.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Hey, Ruger guys, price check please

Post by AJMD429 »

Saw one two or three years ago on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica with a $750 bid on it but it hadn't sold yet - I was looking for a Ruger 44 Mag levergun (96/44) so didn't go back to check what the semiauto went for, since it was the levergun I wanted.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I wanted one, I'd go 500, but I'm a cheapskate....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

I think you can get $750
I would ask $800 plus shipping
I am one gun away from happy
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I've owned (bought/used/sold) about 6 different Ruger .44 Auto Carbines, and also have more than a nodding acquaintance with the .44's owned/used by the other 8 members of my annual Maine deer hunting party, over the past 45-odd years. (We all had the .44 Auto's)

If you're looking to buy it, no matter what you decide to pay, if the front end of the trigger housing can be wriggled ANY amount (in relation to the receiver and/or the stock), it should be a deal-breaker because any movement means that the locating lugs on the front of the un-repairable (and un-available) TG housing are either cracked or missing - making the autoloader an auto-ejecting single shot rifle (IOW, a jammer).

The best clue as to one of the original, tube-feed .44 Auto's having hard use is the condition of the finish on the latch face located in the middle of the lifter, as seen from underneath the rifle.

If the latch's original blued finish has been rubbed off/through, it's an indication of many, many rounds being loaded into the magazine, as most folks loading one of those carbines do so via pressing the nose of a loaded round against the latch whilst pushing the cartridge into the magazine.

The best way to get the best return on it, if you're selling it, would be to place it into an online guns-only auction.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Thanks, Pete, it checks out OK, trigger guard doesn't wiggle, very little if any wear on the latch face, stock has the usual handling marks is all. Thinking I might sell it .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:41 pm Thanks, Pete, it checks out OK, trigger guard doesn't wiggle, very little if any wear on the latch face, stock has the usual handling marks is all. Thinking I might sell it .
I can always remember how fascinated I was with the first magazine ads for those .44s...The one with the Deadly, Man-eating Gorilla. How could one NOT want a rifle that would put down King Kong? Man, heads would explode these days if they saw that one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jnyork wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:41 pm Thanks, Pete, it checks out OK, trigger guard doesn't wiggle, very little if any wear on the latch face, stock has the usual handling marks is all. Thinking I might sell it .

You're welcome ! :mrgreen:

That being the case, I wouldn't take a penny less then $650 for it, in a local FTF sale.

Since market pricing can vary widely, depending upon the buyer's location (which drives the desirability), best prices are difficult to get in most local markets, while online gun auction sites reach thousands of potential buyers.

Yeah, it can be a PITA to pack/ship to the buyer's FFL - so it usually comes down to whether or not it's worth the trouble to you to go that route.

In any event, good luck - it sounds like a very nice rifle. :)

DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

$700 to 800 plus these days. They keep going up....

Dennis.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've seen two recently, one in a store and one online, NOT selling in that price range. Both with the less common full length stock.
Slow is just slow.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

cas wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 11:36 pm I've seen two recently, one in a store and one online, NOT selling in that price range. Both with the less common full length stock.

Yeah, those RSI/International/mannlicher-stocked .44 Auto Carbines have long been bringing a 200% (or more) premium over the standard stock versions - and the very few factory-checkered examples bringing much more than an un-checkered RSI.

Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

I don't post often, so my 2 cents worth is probably worth half that. I had one of those way back, and I thought accuracy was less than stellar, as in maybe hit the end of a five gallon bucket at normal short deer hunting distance with factory ammo. I couldn't send it down the road fast enough. :shock: :lol:

Irv
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Around my area of Florida they sell for about $650. but don't last long on the shelf. This carbine is ideal for deer and wild hogs.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Speaking of what's for sale today, how about this one for $550 ?

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 1&t=255210