American Pioneer Powder?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

American Pioneer Powder?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hi Fellas -

Does anyone here have experience with American Pioneer Powder?

Normally I prefer to stick with true black powder. However, with a nearby Gander Mountain going out of business, and all their blackpowder-related items at 50% off, this is awfully tempting.

I used Pyrodex years ago - more because it was the only powder I could find to feed my front-stuffers. When I found a source of Goex, I immediately switched.

Just curious if anyone has ever used this particular type of black powder substitute?

Thanks!

YK
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: American Pioneer Powder?

Post by 2ndovc »

I used it with a .58 Cal Musketoon with good effect. Very accurate from that rifle and easy cleaning. There are some others here that didn't care for it but not sure about why. I sold that carbine and really wish I hadn't. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used it. It worked just fine for me. I like the cleanup and that it does not cause rust. I have heard that it is not as consistent in velocity as some other powders, but at the range, accuracy was as good as triple 7 out of my CVA rifle. The smoke is whiter and a lot less than most powders. I never did get a chronograph to work with a muzzleloader using sabots, so I have no proof of anything other than the good groups on a target. I used 100 grains in mine. I found that charge to give good consistent groups. My rifle is rated for up to 150 grains.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

However, with a nearby Gander Mountain going out of business
I'm not sure I'd make the trek across Lake Norman and all that traffic to get to that Gander Mountain! :D
The Lord Bless You

Terry