Another Single Shot Project (Stevens 44, 22 LR) - updated

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Another Single Shot Project (Stevens 44, 22 LR) - updated

Post by Old No7 »

Just what I needed... Yet another "old single shot rifle project"...

I've already got Two Rolling Block Projects Underway (click link for older posts) and the case-color and sight work on those are just about done, so I should be getting a large box from my gunsmith (Lee Shaver) any day now.

But I couldn't pass this one up...

Honestly, I went into a LGS only looking for a nipple wrench with a small nose to fit an 1862 Colt Pocket Police replica. But I looked behind the counter where they keep the nicer old rifles like real Marlin's, Savage 99's, High Walls, Low Walls and various other older leverguns or single shots. I could tell right away it was an old Stevens by the profile, but I couldn't see any other details until the clerk handed it over to me -- and he didn't get it back either! :wink:

What I held in my hand was an unmolested, finish-worn, but otherwise pretty decent old Stevens Model 44 in 22 LR that has a heavy 24.25" half-round/octagon barrel (stamped with a "2" under the forearm), with fairly tight lockup and a really decent bore! I almost dislocated my shoulder trying to get my ID and C/Card out fast enough... But luckily, knowing there was some necessary paperwork to do slowed me down just enough to avoid a serious injury.

Here she is...

Stevens 44 - 22 LR 01 (Small).jpg

Stevens 44 - 22 LR 02 (Small).jpg

Turns out the lever droops just a tiny amount, easily less than 1/32" and if I insert one sheet of paper (what's that, .003" or .005"?) between the block and the barrel, it tightens right up.

Stevens 44 - 22 LR 03 (Small).jpg

The good news is, I found this image of a "Lever Droop Adjusting Screw" (or at least that's what I am calling it) on another forum, and mine has the same screw added by the Stevens factory. I haven't adjusted it yet, but it's reportedly supposed to be very easy and effective to adjust the lockup by tweaking the screw that's marked by the red arrow.

Stevens 44 - Lever Droop Screw.jpg

The great news and lucky part was... My price was only $375 plus tax, and I remembering seeing others in similar condition and the same caliber listing (but not necessarily selling...) on GunBroker for $500 to $600, or even more. I think I did really good on the price, and as she's chambered for 22 Long Rifle, if she proves to be a shooter, she just might be a candidate to have the receiver and lever re-casecolored by Lee Shaver's shop, who is doing my rolling blocks for me. The barrel and stocks are in really good shape for their age. Plus, my twin just told me he has an old set of Lyman globe front sight and a #1 tang sight that I can trade for (as he is out of small pistol primers, and I have plenty). This just might turn out to be a successful project after all!

Stevens 44 - 22 LR 04 (Small).jpg

Just in case the twist is too slow to stabilize the Long Rifle ammo (I've not had a chance to check the twist yet...) I also picked up two boxes of CCI "22 Longs" that the shop also had in stock. Those were "not cheap" for sure, but I haven't seen them for sale for a couple of years, and they're handy to have in the ammo cabinet for older 22 rifles like this one.

Oh well, back to all the projects! Too many to do, and just as the fishing & boating season has hit too... Dang!

Tight groups!

Old No7

Edit to add: I just checked, and 1/2 a turn on the Lever Droop Adjustment Screw worked slick! Now it's nice and "snug", but not too tight... Yippee!! :!:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another Single Shot Project (Stevens 44, 22 LR)

Post by Pete44ru »

That's a pretty nice Stevens Ideal No.44 Sporting & Gallery Rifle, for sure ! . :o

You've done well, pilgrim......... :mrgreen:

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I nearly bought a Stevens mod 30 Favourite but the quality was not as good as the older models, I really like that mod 44, looking forward to your range report.. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Good looking Stevens 44! Those old Stevens .22's are very accurate if they have a good bore! Price was good for sure!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What a find! Great price too!
Wish I had the "luck" some of you fellas here have, I NEVER find deals!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Wow, that's nice! :mrgreen: Personally, I wouldn't refinish it, but that's just me.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Congrats on a great find. :mrgreen:
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I just love old single shot rifles. I always think of how much less wounded game there would be if folk learned to use the shot they have.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Definitely not an authority on guns, but the design of that rifle seems that it would be fairly cheap to produce. I wish a gun manufacturer would produce a replica in that style but in a .38 special/.357 magnum.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nice find! Those are slick shooting rifles.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Well, I finally found an old vintage Lyman tang sight with the correct 1.5" hole spacing -- and the screws too -- so I added it to the old girl...

Here she is, all dressed up and ready to go now:

Stevens 44 - 22 Tang 01 (Small).jpg
And I was really pleased how well she shot with standard velocity 22's; so far, she likes the CCI's more than the Wolf Match Target:
(Only 35 yards, but that's a nice start...)

Stevens 44 - 22 Tang 02 (Small).jpg
After I shot that flyer, I stopped shooting into (or "towards"?) that group... :wink:

I do need to do some work on the windage (so I have added a sliver of black electrical tape under the base to shim the sight left) and the elevation (I will file some visible witness marks onto the sight stem). Then I'll need to change out the front blade for a globe or a beaded-post sight -- but it has to be "vintage" looking, and also match the large 7/16" dovetails of the Stevens line.

All in all, I'm really happy with how this 'ol girl shoots!

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another Single Shot Project (Stevens 44, 22 LR) - updated

Post by Old No7 »

claybob86 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:06 pm Wow, that's nice! :mrgreen: Personally, I wouldn't refinish it, but that's just me.
I now think you're right... So I've decided to keep her "as is"...

"Old and vintage looking" -- just like me!!! :wink:

Old No7
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Not that my opinion matters but I agree with the leave her be, mentality. Wife wants me to dye my grey hairs..nope earned every dam one of them and proud to show it, like that rifle, wear the scars with pride.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lucky to find such a nice 44 with decent bore. Most that I see are a mess -- or in .25 Stevens.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Wonderful old rifle. Lucky you!! :D

What the heck is a "C" card and why did you have to show it and fill out paperwork on an antique rifle? Is that rifle not made before 1898?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

horsesoldier03 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:44 am Definitely not an authority on guns, but the design of that rifle seems that it would be fairly cheap to produce. I wish a gun manufacturer would produce a replica in that style but in a .38 special/.357 magnum.
.....or 32-20..... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "