OT - Need Help Identifying an Imported 22 Short Revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Need Help Identifying an Imported 22 Short Revolver

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I recovered a real piece of junk revolver on the job today. I wouldn't shoot this thing for love nor money. We put it in evidence because a felon was (allegedly) in possession of this "Saturday Night Special." It is labeled "cal 22 short Jones Imports, Columbia S.C.", but I can't find ANY information on the stupid thing. The whole gun fits in the palm of my hand and the frame is made from a shiny metal, but the cylinder and barrel are rusted steel. There is a stamp on the frame of a bird and under it is JI (I assume it stands for Jones Imports). This stamp is repeated on the cylinder, but it was not stamped well at all. The barrel is about three inches long and it and the frame have identical serial numbers stamped on them. It has electrical tape for a grip and the front, white metal sight is broken off.

Does anyone here know anything about this company or the gun?
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nothing about the gun, but how is the reloading going for the Marlin?

You've been gone a while.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I love a good mystery. How about a pic Irish Cop???
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Search Cornell publishing, they help identify things all the time.
not sure if spelling is correct, but when you find them just shoot
off an email.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Rusty, LOL, you have an excellent memory. I am leaning towards purchasing the Lee Loader...the hand loader. I know it is not as convenient, but the ease of portability and the apparent ease of use (except that the manual say it requires a significant amount of force to use) have me pretty much sold on it. A friend of mine swears I need a single stage press. I know NOTHING about handloading/reloading. I am still torn.

Cash, the pistol was entered into evidence before I could take any good pictures. I took a few with my camera/phone (razor phone) but I have not ever used it to upload (or download...whatever...) any pictures.I have several on the phone but no idea how to get them on HERE.

bsaride, I will look at the site you mentioned...but not tonight...thank you.

It realy doesn't affect the case one way or the other if I can further identify the gun, but I was just interested...personally. Like Cash said, I like a mystery and I have never seen this brand/type of gun before.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hey IC,

Tell you what I'll do for ya. Send me an e-mail and I'll lend you a .44 Mag Lee Loader. You can try it out and see if you like it. It won't cost you a thing except return postage. Maybe not that if I can work it out to stop by and pick it up in July when I got to Romney, WV to see my wife's aunt.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Irish_Cop,

I will guess that you are talking about a Rohm/ Rg revolver, like this "B" model:

They were imported from Germany, and sold by several different companies. I believe the "B" is also known as an RG10. They had aluminum alloy frames, with steel barrels & cylinders. Barrel lengths varied, and grip sizes & styles did, too. .22 Short is the caliber of these little guns.

...and, another:

Is the "bird" like this one?:

Here is a folding trigger variation:

Imported by "Hy Hunter":

...and marked "Chicago Cub":

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Hagler, You NAILED IT! The stamp of the bird is exact. The second picture is almost exact except the barrel is rusted steel. With no grip it was even harder to identify.

I knew I could count on the people at this sight.

Rusty, thank you very much for the offer. I would take you up on it but I think I am just going to spend the $20 and buy one. I have the next three days off and hope to find some time to do so. I have been preoccupied with putting up an above ground pool for weeks now. One disaster after another. A storm blew down the side of the pool while I was still filling it and I had to start all over again.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Way to go Hagler!.. Very cool that you solved the mystery...Where did you come up with the pics? Are you collecting Sat Night Specs?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The Bird Stamp is the German proof mark. I think I can remember these revolvers advertised in "Guns&Ammo" back in the sixties.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Nice going Shawn! :)
Last edited by C. Cash on Thu May 15, 2008 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Saturday Night Special??? A term used by the other side as far as I'm concerned. Remember, poor people have second amendment rights as well.

I know when I was a LEO I came by an RG one time that was in pretty bad shape. You had to pull the center pin to remove the cylinder and punch out the empties. The factory center pin was gone. Someone had replaced it with a cut off nail. It was a real piece of junk, but it worked and went bang every time.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Irish_Cop,

You are welcome.

Gents,

I do not collect Saturday Night Specials, but I do like some things that other people shun. I have seen tons of those Rohm/ RG revolvers for sale on the auction sites, and that made me curious. A local gundealer offered to sell me a couple of revolvers, and one of them was an RG10. Before I agreed to the sale, I asked the dealer if a Super Colibri would fit into the ".22 Short" chamber. He handed me a round, and it fit perfectly. I bought the pair: an H&R 732 .32 S&W Long & the RG10. The receipt for the transaction shows the RG10 as costing me $25.00.

The RG actually appears to be fairly well-made. The trigger pull is gawdawful, though. The grip is tiny, and tight, for my big hand. The cylinder does not come out of the gun easily. The base pin is actually the ejector rod: You unscrew it, move it to front of the cylinder, open the loading gate, and push out the empties.

The picture are from current GunBroker auctions. Just search in "Revolvers", and then for "RG", or "Rohm", or "Hy Hunter". You will find them.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Traded a nice pellet rifle for one of those POSs in about '66...aiming carefully, it was shooting about 4' low and a couple feet to the right at 10 feet :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[You had to pull the center pin to remove the cylinder and punch out the empties.]

Just like my new NAA Mini. :roll: