June 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

June 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Post by Griff »

This thread is for posting of your pictured targets ONLY! If you want to brag on or cut someone's submission... do it in another topic... (Maybe here: Competition Shoot. You can submit either a picture or a scanned image. Must include a description or photo of your equipment & load in your submission post. See rule #7... if we don't know who you are, you can't win... June 1 - 30.

Starting this month I'm making one change... see Rule #1(a). Participation has fallen off... Maybe this'll help.

BASIC Rules: - let's keep it simple -

1. Repeating Lever-action rifle, center-fire pistol caliber ONLY (.32 to .45 cal).
(a) Repeating Lever-action Rifle, center-fire Rimmed "RIFLE" cartridge. (.25 - .45 cal. with FN bullets appropriate to tube magazines. Need not be tube magazine rifle).
2. Shot in the free standing position. (unsupported)
3. Iron sights or tang sights ONLY - no fancy stuff - scopes etc.
4. B6 target - (link to download and print a copy below).
5. 10 Shots only
6. 50 yards (ish)
7. Image of target and with name and date written on target posted for consideration, Include description of rifle & load.
8. A maximum of 4 targets submitted for each Calendar month. (For both firearms... if submitting under pistol and rifle cartridge categories - NOT 4 each - let's not over-work the judges).
9. Your highest score counts.
10. Winner posted at the beginning of the next Calendar month.
11. Open to all members of the forum as of June 1st, 2017.

Approved target:

http://www.silvercitygunclub.com/PDF/b6.pdf

Scoring: Count 10,9,8 and 7 if you hit the paper. A full cut of a line counts to the next highest value. Where there is a tie the most Xs hit in the 10 ring will be the tie- breaker!

Good luck and get out there and get shooting!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: June 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Post by claybob86 »

Finally got out to shoot today for the first time in about 6 weeks. This was a bit tricky, my left shoulder's acting up and I had to hold the rifle up by resting my upper arm on my ribs and holding the forearm right at the rear at the receiver. Never held a rifle like that before, but I guess it worked OK. Anyway, this looks like 85.

Have you hugged your rifle today?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I got my Lever Challenge target shot yesterday -- a beautiful day to be out with a rifle: about 70 degrees, gentle breeze out of the north, and light overcast. I used my trusty Rossi m92 .357 rifle I have shown previously; 187 grain FNGC bullet from LBT mould and 12 grains of a surplus powder called "H108" which is a little faster than H110.
J357target8591.jpg
And since I was out having fun shooting and testing a new bullet in the 44/40 carbine I went ahead and shot a non-counting target with it. Non-counting because I have a scope hung on the little critter that will get pulled off as soon as I have tested loads to my satisfaction. Being a fellow with a bunch of Scots blood in my veins I used the same target for testing a load in the 357 revolver. In the actual target the .36 diameter holes were easily distinguished from the .43 holes. Not so easy in the picture of the target so I circled the .36 holes in green. I am amazed at the score: I didn't feel like I would be able to break an 80 with needing to hold the head way off the stock to see through the scope. Undoubtedly this score was a fluke but there it is... I make it a 94. I'd better get done with this testing business and outfit this baby with a peep sight for the competition!
J44target8588.jpg
I had hoped to also shoot my lever-rifle target using the model 94 32 Special. This old babe shoots full-power jacketed bullets quite well in spite of a nasty-looking bore. But it hated the cast bullet loads I built for it and there seemed to be no point in trying to shoot a target with it. I'll return with some other lever rifle on some other day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Claybob86, I count your target as a score of 85, 0-X. Those (semi)wadcutters make nice squared edged holes.

Earlmck, I'm scoring your top target as 92, 0-X... that shot @ 7o'clock appears to have just nosed up to the line, barely cutting thru it. A .44 or .45 would have definitely cut it tho'! :P Hard to tell if it just folded over into the line, but, after blowing it up, I'd definitely say a SWC instead of a round nose would have cut thru. Your bottom target is a clear 94, 2-X... take that scope off and let 'er rip!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Thoms124
Levergunner

Post by Thoms124 »

I do not how to use the gun.But i like that.
Thoms124
Levergunner

Post by Thoms124 »

I do not how to use the gun.But i like that.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Been home for two weeks, and able to practice almost every day. I noticed a significant difference between the rifles, the light 24-¼" 45 Colt Uberti '73 moved much more in the light breeze of today, and much more during windier days. The .30-30 was much heavier with its 26" full octagon barrel. So, taking an extra few minutes and setting it down between shots sure eased the pressure. And today's target really showed that. I'm sure the shaded "T" post in my globe front really aids in aiming over the open post on the Uberti '73. I certainly didn't expect this score... I kept looking for shots in the 8 & 7 ring as I went to collect it!
6-25-17 target 45Colt.jpg
6-25-17 target 30WCFjpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Griff, I reckon you just might have a first place target with that 30wcf rifle. That is right down outstanding!!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I couldn't let Griff's lever rifle target go unchallenged so I took three of my best shooters out to see what I could do. First was 336A in 30/30 shooting the 117 grain Ranch Dog bullet pushed by 10 grains of Green Dot.
June173030.jpg
Dang! That 90 is not even close to his 99. So then I broke out the 32 Special that wouldn't shoot my cast bullets when I tried a couple of weeks ago. This time I used the 165 grain Hornady and 28 grains of Rl-7 which it shoots quite well.
June1732Spcl.jpg
Unfortunately it shoots better than I was holding today -- I make it a 92. So it is time to cheat -- I bring out the m92 in 25/20 that usually seems to act laser-guided.
June172520.jpg
Not laser-guided today; I make it an 88. Just not my day to seriously challenge the Griff!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

greetings,

finally made it to the range & shot my Winchester M94 in 30-30.
rifle has been armaloyed - no sling
ammo used was Hornady 150 gr American white tail
score not too impressive - two rounds off paper - total 64
sure proves it's been too long......

Merle from PA
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

2nd try

Marlin M1894 in 44 Mag
ammo WW-USA 240 gr JSP
used sling

NOTE had one split case & one round way low - I wonder if they were connected?
that big JSP really tore up the target frame AND my target
I left some of the splinters (see arrows) for entertainment value when I patched up the target

at least I squeaked out a tiny bit better score the extra round on paper sure helped
Merle from PA
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Earl,

I confirm that you've got a 90, 92-1X, and an 88-1X, for two rifle caliber targets and one pistol target. (Trust me, my 99 was pure dumb luck, I ain't shot that well in a couple of years... ok, maybe a score or more). I can generally get an "X" shot on the first shot, repeats are generally more rare. Setting the rifle down between shots helped me keep that "1st shot" attitude. But then, I've been shooting this load thru this rifle for nearly 26 years!

Merle,

Thank you for joining in. At the beginning of my two-week practice, my targets didn't look all that much different. A twice daily session when I could, was rewarding. Reminding myself of the "basics", and not to tire myself needlessly. Confirming your 64 for the rifle and a 75 for the pistol caliber. (one shot missing on the pistol target, correct)?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Griff wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:08 pm Earl,

I confirm that you've got a 90, 92-1X, and an 88-1X, for two rifle caliber targets and one pistol target. (Trust me, my 99 was pure dumb luck, I ain't shot that well in a couple of years... ok, maybe a score or more). I can generally get an "X" shot on the first shot, repeats are generally more rare. Setting the rifle down between shots helped me keep that "1st shot" attitude. But then, I've been shooting this load thru this rifle for nearly 26 years!

Merle,

Thank you for joining in. At the beginning of my two-week practice, my targets didn't look all that much different. A twice daily session when I could, was rewarding. Reminding myself of the "basics", and not to tire myself needlessly. Confirming your 64 for the rifle and a 75 for the pistol caliber. (one shot missing on the pistol target, correct)?
Yep, missed two on the rifle, but only one on the pistol.
This is the first time I shot since last fall, so I'm not too surprised that I didn't set the world on fire.
That 44 mag sure tore up the frame & my target, but I won't get another chance so "oh well"
Next month I hope to drag out a couple of more old timers in rifle calibers - they are in long term mothballs at my youngest sons home.

I see that I am badly out of practice, but getting to the range has become a challenge since my car died - maybe next month will be better...

I see that the rules call for rimmed but would a 35 Remington fit in?

Thanks for your efforts! :mrgreen:
Merle from PA
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If my review is correct, I show Earlmck as the Winner of the June 2017 Levergun Match for pistol caliber! And humbly declare myself as the lucky winner for the Rifle portion. Earl, that's some really fine shooting with excellent scores in the "Rifle" portion of the match also. As for my shooting, I've always felt just the wee bit guilty using this particular gun... It's .850" across the flats for all 26" of its octagon barrel it weighs a ton, and the home made tang peep, to lightly modified globe front, it has shoot many a ¾" group off a bench @100 yards, won several long range cowboy side matches, killed deer from 40-200+ yards, and generally performed better than its owner! But, to all, July will be your month, as I don't believe I will be home to enter this month... so take advantage of the opportunity! August I'm taking another two weeks off, and hope to make a 100! I'm going to buy a new camera, and video tape this session...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Congratulations, Earl and Griff! :) Fine shooting!
Have you hugged your rifle today?