For YK - lots of "perfect pairs"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

For YK - lots of "perfect pairs"

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: For YK - lots of "perfect pairs"

Post by jeepnik »

Way back when ammo resupply was far and few between, the same caliber made some sense. Problem was what you ended up with was an under powered rifle. Of course today you could have the 45/70 in both rifle and revolver. But you end up with an over powered handgun.

If you try to use a modern semi auto handgun and a (let's call the carbines, cuz they ain't rifles) you may have a common magazine, but you still end up with an under powered long gun.

Therefore I have determined that only two perfect pairs exist. In revolver (Blackhawk) and levergun (Marlin GS) it's .45 colt and 45/70. In semi auto handgun and rifle (never liked carbines much, if I'm going to carry a long gun I want long gun performance) it would be .45 acp (1911A1) and 7.62x51 (Springfield Scout/Squad).
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

A heavy-loaded .44 mag., .45 Colt, or .454 can serve admirably in both short and long guns, and are only "underpowered" in someone's imagination..
Throw in S&W's .460 or .500, and the field becomes ever more level..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My same-cartridge pair of choice would be like Buck Elliott said....a 454 Casull or stout 45 Colt. For a 'Scout Rifle' application the 45 in a rifle may be marginal, but for an extended foray into wilderness I'd feel well-armed.

There is the other thought of of a 22 LR pistol and bottleneck high power rifle, or a 22 LR carbine paired with a 45 handgun, and I think either could be practical, since the 22 LR gives you so many portable rounds.

I think I'd like the 45 ACP and 308 pair (ParaOrd doublestack 1911 and M1A) for 'gates of hell' work, though an AR might be more practical if the enemy were 2-legs instead of zombies or tough aliens.

Then there are 'pairs' that just go together due to history, asethics, or nostalgia.

Or....maybe you wanna carry your open-too cap'n-ball 're olver along with a Mini-14, just to be anachronistic... 8) :D
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

44-40 works for me, just as it did for tens of thousands of hunters/cowboys back in the day. Although I can document 45-90/45 Colt for a lot of the guys arrested to end the Wyoming range war. The army officer whose unit caught them documented every weapon confiscated.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

.44 magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk and Ruger semiautomatic carbine are one of my pairs. .480 caliber Super Redhawk and a model 92 in the same caliber. Then, for places where I need a little more concealment---such as an urban environment, Glock 22 and Kel-Tec both in .40 S&W. Or, PillHer's Glock 19 and a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm. The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 gives some extended range and a lot longer sight radius for better long range shooting. It is concealable in a standard briefcase or a mid sized reusable shopping bag with some cardboard in it to break up the outline and prevent metal to metal or hard plastic clunks. With the heavy for caliber factory rounds, you get a couple hundred fps increase for a little more impact. Some used and clean empty cans screwed to a piece of wood make for a nice outline in the bag so that it truly appears to be a shopping bag with some heavy items in it. Appearances can be deceiving.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:29 pm Or....maybe you wanna carry your open-too cap'n-ball 're olver along with a Mini-14, just to be anachronistic... 8) :D
Hey, I resemble that remark, sort of. From time to time I carry a short barreled 1860 Army concealed. It's just too bad no one every made a C&B revolving rifle. The one's I've seen have all be cartridge types.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Colt's made a c&b revolving rifle..
A variation of the 1855 Root patent...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:20 am.....Some used and clean empty cans screwed to a piece of wood make for a nice outline in the bag so that it truly appears to be a shopping bag with some heavy items in it. Appearances can be deceiving.
I like the way you think...!

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

M. M. Wright wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:40 amAlthough I can document 45-90/45 Colt for a lot of the guys arrested to end the Wyoming range war.
jeepnik wrote:In revolver (Blackhawk) and levergun (Marlin GS) it's .45 colt and 45/70.
With the 454 Casual loadings you get into the territory of the old 45 rifle calibers to some degree, but I agree that you would have an unpleasant and over-powered handgun for most purposes. I suppose you could separate loads and 'mostly' use the heavy ones in the long gun.

Now when it comes to 'semiauto' same-chambering pairs that use the same magazines, I would certainly consider a MechTech 'upper' so I could use the same 14 and 20 round magazines I use in my P-14 1911 CCW gun. Not by any means a 'rifle' and the 45 ACP even from a shoulder-fired firearm, would be a decent 'get back home' round, but not as decent for that purpose as an ordinary 223...

20 rounds of 45 ACP from a carbine is nothing to sneeze at, and if it uses the same magazines as your primary CCW, all the better...!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Buck Elliott wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 am Colt's made a c&b revolving rifle..
True. But to the best of my knowledge no one is making them now.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Buck Elliott wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 am Colt's made a c&b revolving rifle..
True. But to the best of my knowledge no one is making them now.
Cimarron as well as Uberti both have an 1858 Remington "carbine" shown on their website... I've been called an enabler before :D

https://www.uberti-usa.com/new-army-and ... -revolvers

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1858-r ... al-18.html
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Perfect pairs:

Marlin 1894 & 1911(A1) in 45 ACP.

Winchester (or in my case, Uberti), 1873 Short Rifle or Sporting Rifle & Colt SAA in 45 Colt.

Browning 1885 & Colt SAA in 45 Colt.

Browning 1886 in .45-70 & Colt SAA in... yep, 45 Colt.

Uberti 1860 in 45 Colt & Colt 1851 Belt Model.

Garand M-1 in .30-06 & 1911A1 in 45 ACP.

AR rifle or carbine in .223/5.56NATO & 1911A1 in 45ACP.

All others are just compromises... or... NOT perfect! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

We still need to revive the "pair posts". Those were a lot of fun - to post and to see! :D
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I have the following pairs:
Ruger Single Six and a Marlin 39 Mountie - .22

Ruger Blackhawk/S&W Model 28 and a Rossi 92 - .38/357

Uberti 1873 SAA and a Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .44 WCF

Ruger Blackhawk Bisley and a Marlin 1894S - .44 Mag.

Ruger Redhawk/Uberti 1873 SAA and Rossi 92 - .45 Colt

You've just gotta be ready for any situation....
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Heritage .22lr and Henry .22lr make a good pair. The heritage may not have good sights, but it is not bad once you know where it hits.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost