Yreka Chili Cook-off etc today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Yreka Chili Cook-off etc today

Post by JohndeFresno »

Shasta, Earl and others in the area,

I couldn't get to my cellphone due to family biz up here, but today in Yreka (Old Town) there is a Gold Miner's Day bazaar with some type of entertainment, Chili Cook-off, Staged Shootout, other stuff under awnings all on the main Street.

I hear that there is some kind of gold mining event for the kids.

I would attend the Cook-off, at least, if it were not for pressing responsibilities. No, not with an iron...
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Yreka Chili Cook-off etc today

Post by Shasta »

Sounds like fun, Yreka is a neat town. But I spent the day shooting Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club near Burney, CA. :D :D

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Shasta wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:57 pm ...I spent the day shooting Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club near Burney, CA. :D :D

Shasta
Good on you! Wish I could have broken free to watch. Moving very elderly widowed oldest brother back down to Central Coast from God's Country in State of Jefferson to be with family.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yreka is a neat town, sounds like a fun event, (for those that like crowds)... :P But, it's more important to take care of those family responsibilities.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Yup.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Shasta, how often does the Hat Creek club hold BPCR silhouette?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Bill,
We usually shoot BPCR monthly from April to September. Our matches are NRA Approved 40 shots. You can see our event schedule by clicking on the link below my signature. The next BPCR match is Saturday July 22 at 11:00am. The following Sunday is NRA High Power in the morning and Vintage Military Sniper Rifle in the afternoon. That's three different disciplines in one weekend!

There is room for dry camping at the range, or motels in Burney or Fall River Mills. Come on down, it would be great to meet you!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Shasta, we are moving back to the Rogue Valley the middle of July -- to Ashland. I was just thinking it's not that far to your rifle range. I need to work up loads for the .40-70 Ballard No. 1 1/2 I got from our friend Marlin Man.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I always get Yreka, Eureka, and Ukiah mixed up probably because I've never been to any of them. I've never thought of chili and California together in the same sentence either. I need enlightening. :lol:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 am I always get Yreka, Eureka, and Ukiah mixed up probably because I've never been to any of them. I've never thought of chili and California together in the same sentence either. I need enlightening. :lol:
Ji, remember that our southern border is Mexico; we have an extensive history of Mexican settlers, governance and influence; dozens (hundreds? I think most) of our cities are Spanish names like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Los Gatos, Los Banos, Fresno, Madera, geography like Sierra Nevada range, Hispanic culture and history like the "Zorro" books and movies and 39% Hispanic population.

And then, I don't know how many Native American tribes inhabited this state, originally. Yreka still has a sizable contingent of them, even though it is right next to the Oregon border. Yosemite National Park was named after the Yosemite Indians. Yang-Na Indians first settled into the L.A. area, per my early history as a Los Angeles youth.

According to one website,
"The fame of chili con carne began to spread and the dish soon became a major tourist attraction. It was featured at the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893 at the San Antonio Chili Stand. By the 20th century chili joints had made their debut in Texas and became familiar all over the west by the roaring '20s."

Chili cook-offs certainly occur all over California, including my area - Central California (the San Joaquin Valley, another Spanish title).

Most people - including Californians - do not know that the name "California" was a Utopian island of the Amazons described in Las Sergas de Esplandián, a 16th-century Spanish novel.

I took on the name "John de Fresno" in my former employment as an inside joke, and it stuck. I was a very "white" non-Hispanic who spoke Spanish as a second language and used that to my advantage in undercover work, frequently listening in and acting "dumb." Here in my state as well as others, Hispanic gang members commonly mark their territory with graffiti by using a first name or nickname combined with their town, such as "Juan de Malaga," or "Payaso de Fresno" ([the] Clown of Fresno). So I adopted an obviously Anglo first name (as a prank) and combined it with the city I primarily worked in.

(EDITED FOR TYPOS)
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Yes, the Hispanics have been around in California longer than the Anglos though many Anglos think of Hispanics as more recent arrivals. True all the way to Texas all of which was a part of Mexico before 1848. I just think of chili as being a Tex-Mex cuisine but I guess it's not that specific to a region but specific to the culture. Does that sound correct?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Texas is a b-i-g state and so it certainly has a lot of room for chili festivals, and so many Texans act as if they are the only chili aficionados. But California cuisine has a very heavy influence of Mexican cuisine. You find Mexican restaurants in (I believe) every California city of any size.

If my memory serves, because I have not checked this lately, salsa (Mexican hot sauce) has surpassed ketchup and other condiments in sales in my state. Being that we are leaders in the export of many agricultural products worldwide, we have a very large population of Mexican workers who bring food to the table, and have assimilated themselves into many other industries, which keeps the demand for Mexican cuisine quite steady throughout our state.

The first mass market Mexican food franchise, Taco Bell, was started in Irvine, California.

Me, I eat jalapenos with almost every meal and have withdrawals if I don't have spicy Mexican food on a regular basis. In my small town in Central California, Mexican eateries outnumber any other type of cuisine.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Like chilli , CA. will also give you the trots!!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

How right you are!