Ruger Re-Introduces Some Dis-continued Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger Re-Introduces Some Dis-continued Rifles

Post by Pete44ru »

Ruger has re-listed the recently-discontinued bolt action Model 77/17, 77/22, 77/357, & 77/44 rifles.

http://www.ruger.com/products/77Series/overview.html

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Re-Introduces Some Dis-continued Rifles

Post by jdad »

$1000 for a Ruger? I'll pass.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'd like to have a blued walnut 77/44 but with MSRP at $999.99 that makes me think dealer cost at about $725ish .

But I'll buy one of the hopefully soon to be released CZ-527 blued walnut 6.5 Grendels for about $100 less dealer cost before I spend the money on the 77/44 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wish they'd bring back the Model 96 in some of the more useful smaller
center fire calibers at a reasonable price! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Meh. If it isn't the "96" series of Levers, I don't really care...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They have always been ridiculously expensive.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Oh, IDK about that, Fred - once upon a time (a little over 10 years ago), I paid $350 for my 77/22RM (.22 Mag w/rings only - no iron sights).

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think I paid $375 for my 77/44 a decade ago. Worth that and then some. We'll see what REAL retail prices are this time around.

I'd sure like a 96/45 Colt or a 96/32-20 though....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:56 pm I think I paid $375 for my 77/44 a decade ago. Worth that and then some. We'll see what REAL retail prices are this time around.

I'd sure like a 96/45 Colt or a 96/32-20 though....
Yesterday (6/18) Bud's had the 77/44 for 699.00, (out of stock today)
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Either the 77 or 96 in 375 Bain-Davis would be fun too.

I wonder if they could handle 480 Ruger, or 475 Linebaugh, or similar rounds.....I'm assuming not the 454 Casull, although that would be pretty cool too....
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like you fellows got a good price before I saw them out here, $844 I recall here the last 5 years or so.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I got a 77/22R shortly after it was introduced. I was a teenager in the mid eighties. The rifle listed for $275 then. That's what their American 22 lists for now. That's why fine traditional bolts are going up or being phased out. Bolt guns have been simplified to make cheaply and everyone makes them pretty much the same now, especially centerfires.

That's the only rimfire rifle I have owned since. It's a nice design, it's accurate, can use 10-22 mags. My only real complaints are a heavy trigger and a light muzzle. I put a Dayton Traister trigger in for $40 and it's wonderful. One day I may put a suppressor on and fix the balance. The heavy barrel ones balance wonderfully. Probably even better if you lop a few inches off.

I'd love to have a 77/44
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

44shooter wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:23 am I'd love to have a 77/44

Please check your PM's.

There's a 77/44 for sale, over on the Ruger forum...... :mrgreen:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 1&t=256395

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CDNN Sports lists the 77/44's and 77/22WRM'S now, too. If'n I didn't have a 96/22WRM already I'd be after a 77/22WRM.

jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

We have been selling the heck out of the Ruger 77/17WSM guns. I have been telling people that they discontinued making the 77/ series actions. Not they are going to think I am a liar. I am glad they brought back that rifle in the 17WSM again. The other offering from Savage is a hunk of junk in my opinion. Whomever designed the Bmag action should be taken out and flogged.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jengel wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:32 pm We have been selling the heck out of the Ruger 77/17WSM guns. I have been telling people that they discontinued making the 77/ series actions. Not they are going to think I am a liar. I am glad they brought back that rifle in the 17WSM again. The other offering from Savage is a hunk of junk in my opinion. Whomever designed the Bmag action should be taken out and flogged.
Wow, I knew about the 17 HMR ones but not the 17 WSM's....although I prefer the 17 Hornet (reloadable, higher velocity), that is interesting...!

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks for posting Pete. I've been wanting a .357 for a while now.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rusty wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:30 am Thanks for posting Pete. I've been wanting a .357 for a while now.
You're welcome - Go Get It ! :mrgreen:

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have wanted a 22 hornet version for years. Probably need to bite the bullet and buy it now.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'd LOVE a 44 mag Deerfield Carbine. What's not to like about a Garand chambered in 44 magnum? The 4 round rotary box magazine a big improvement over the tube magazine of the original 44 mag carbine.

Original 44 mag Carbine on top, newer design Deerfield on bottom
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
navajo
Levergunner

Post by navajo »

I never understood the following the 17's have...but to each his own.
I'm sure the 77 is a great rifle. I had a couple over the years.
Not sure why anyone would want to pay that much for a 22Mag.
And for me, if I was going to but a 44Magnum, it would be a
lever-action. I don't figure there's much if anything to be gained
by a 44 in a bolt.
But I'm from Texas and I'm pretty opinionated.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:59 am I'd LOVE a 44 mag Deerfield Carbine. What's not to like about a Garand chambered in 44 magnum? The 4 round rotary box magazine a big improvement over the tube magazine of the original 44 mag carbine.

I'm with you on that one!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:20 pm
jengel wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:32 pm We have been selling the heck out of the Ruger 77/17WSM guns. I have been telling people that they discontinued making the 77/ series actions. Not they are going to think I am a liar. I am glad they brought back that rifle in the 17WSM again. The other offering from Savage is a hunk of junk in my opinion. Whomever designed the Bmag action should be taken out and flogged.
Wow, I knew about the 17 HMR ones but not the 17 WSM's....although I prefer the 17 Hornet (reloadable, higher velocity), that is interesting...!
I have one of the Savage BMag rifles in 17 WSM. Wal Mart in Waxahachie had clearanced it at $69.00, and i considered it to be worth that price. The accuracy is good and it has no kick. Savage redesigned them and made them a heavy barrel only. It is an odd design, and it cocks on closing. Because I paid less than seventy five dollars after taxes on it, I am not going to complain. The heavy barrel ones are probably much easier to use from a standing unsupported position, but a cheap gun that goes bang every time and is accurate just isn't worth complaining about. I find that the 17 HMR and the 17 WSM are the same price for a box of 50 rounds, so cost of ammunition is no difference. The 17 HMR has a good reputation for accuracy, and my 17 WSM has been printing dime sized 8 shot groups at 100 yards once it was broken in. The first 48 shots were embarrassing. Since then, they have been worth mentioning.
If Ruger would bring that caliber out in a 96 with a rotary magazine, it would interest me a lot. For things 40 pounds and below, the 17 WSM has done well for me. It has taken a couple of coyotes. Sort ot a bang-huh-what was thaaat?-flop-twitch-dead sequence. The first one had me worried that I had either missed or failed to use enough gun. The coyote acted as if it didn't know what to do and suddenly it was dead before it figured out that it should have taken off running like it normally would have done. Not a dramatic kill, but certainly a memorable one. Every other coyote I have ever shot was either dead right there or it took off in high gear with overdrive already engaged and the motor redlined. In my limited experience, coyotes go from standing still to forty miles per hour in about 2 steps if you shoot them and it is not an immediately killing shot. They might keel over dead in a short time, but not before a heck of a good attempt to put distance between themselves and you. The 2 times with the 17 WSM have been different. They act confused as to what to do and unsure what just happened. I like the 25 grain bullets in that caliber, but the coyotes don't. For longer shots, I am sure that a centerfire 17 caliber would be better, and a .222, .223, .22-250, .25-06 or other high speed caliber with a 55 grain or heavier bullet would be much better. At the price I paid for my Savage BMag, I am happy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:39 am
Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:59 am I'd LOVE a 44 mag Deerfield Carbine. What's not to like about a Garand chambered in 44 magnum? The 4 round rotary box magazine a big improvement over the tube magazine of the original 44 mag carbine.

I'm with you on that one!

jb 8)
I bought one of the ones on top from CRS a few years ago. It is wonderfully accurate and it works perfectly. I took a wild pig with it about a year and a half back. It was a head shot at about 30 yards. Not a long shot, nor a difficult one. The carbine has a peep sight and is short enough to be really handy in the brush. Ruger really should consider bringing them back, even if only for a limited run. The .44 Mag is plenty for most North American game at 100 yards, and out of a carbine like that one, it is even better. I am not a good enough shot to take head shots with it on moving game at 100 yards, but the gun certainly is capable of the accuracy for it. It may not really have any advantages over a model 92 other than being shorter than most model 92s, but it is a lot of fun to shoot and it is really handy. If I ever get grandkids, they will get the opportunity to learn on it.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've had three of the 44R Ruger Carbines and at the moment I have my maternal grandfathers . Over the last forty or so years I've killed a veritable PILE of deer with these little autoloaders . I'm thinking "if" I could get a 77-44 in the Philippines that would be perfect . I could load and cast for it . The "club ranges" they have are more for the handgun tacticool shotgun crowd . So a 44 MAG rifle would fit this better then a 444 . And if my brudder in law can get us into so feral/wild piggies 🤔
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

One of my favourite deer guns is my Ruger no 3 in 44mag.I put one of the bullseye rear sights on it and it is a deadly set up
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 17 HMR has a good reputation for accuracy, and my 17 WSM has been printing dime sized 8 shot groups at 100 yards once it was broken in. The first 48 shots were embarrassing. Since then, they have been worth mentioning.
If Ruger would bring that caliber out in a 96 with a rotary magazine, it would interest me a lot.
They DID make them in 17 HMR, but I missed out.

However, I grabbed a second 96 in 22 WMR, and 5 minutes and a hex-wrench after receiving a $95.00 Green Mountain barrel in 17 HMR in the mail, I had me a sweet little 17 HMR Ruger lever-gun.....!

My best wish is for one in 17 Hornet, which unlike the 17 WSM, is RELOADABLE, as well as way better velocity. I have a 22 Hornet Ruger 77, so have to decide whether to convert to "K-Hornet vs 17 Hornet' I guess.....

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Finding a Ruger 96 in this area is sort of difficult.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Finding a Ruger 96 in this area is sort of difficult.
D. Brian Casady
C Lee Nickel
Levergunner

Post by C Lee Nickel »

I'd like to see the Ruger 96 again. I don't own any Ruger rifles but I'm a Ruger handgun fan. Got a few. My dad was a Ruger collector starting in the 1970's so I was raised around them.

My big gun regret of the last 15 years was not figuring out how to make the deal on a Ruger 96/22 I'd stumbled on for $175 (NEW!) at a shop up in Durango, Colorado. They were doing their background checks by phone back then and the fellow said the delay could be up to 3 hours or longer. My wife and I had to get back to Farmington (a good hour/hour and 15 minute drive) because my first-grader (at the time) son was going to be getting off the school bus, so I passed.

Of course, hind sight tells me I should done the deal and gone back to get the rifle the next day..but who knew? Either way, it's not likely I'll see one for $175 again any time soon.
navajo
Levergunner

Post by navajo »

wouldn't mind me one of them carbines.