Rem 14 in 25 Rem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Rem 14 in 25 Rem

Post by 3leggedturtle »

How are they valued, compared to one in 35Rem. Been looking at various gun buying places and prices are all over the board. Haven't seen it yet, but sposed to be n average shape, :| used but not abused, carried alot shot little. Hopefully get to fondle it late next week. I have lots of 75 and 87gr .25 cal bullets, so am kinda hot for this! Todd /3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Rem 14 in 25 Rem

Post by Lefty Dude »

A rare piece indeed! Keep us posted. The most valuable of the 14/141 series. The 14 1/2 carbine in 44WCF, now that's the most valuable of all! I think they may have made it in 38WCF also.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rare or not, IMO the chambering puts it's value about 25%-30% lower than a .35 Remington in the same condition.

william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

This is probably right. Still, .25 Remington is easy to make. Cartridge is great with 100-grain bullets. You can start and stop your powder search with IMR 4320.
Slim
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:14 am .
Rare or not, IMO the chambering puts it's value about 25%-30% lower than a .35 Remington in the same condition. .
Maybe for you personally Pete, but in the real world a 25 Remington model 14 will bring significantly more $ than a 35 Remington in equal condition. I have tried and failed a couple of times to acquire a 25 Rem with a decent bore: both my acquisitions have bores that look like somebody forgot to clean 'em after using corrosive primers. But they shoot fairly decent with jacketed bullets.

And Todd, I don't know if you have noted some posts I have done on the subject but just for your information -- the dang 14's and 141's (at least all the ones in my posession) will not allow the use of spitzer bullets. That vaunted spiral flute in the tubular magazine that generations of gun writers have assured us was designed for the sole purpose of allowing the use of pointy bullets, well that spiral flute is so effective at canting the cartridge enough to prevent contact with the primer of the round ahead that it forces the point of the spitzer to jam between the follower and the magazine wall. Oooops!

So you are good with round-nose bullets and flat nosed bullets and if you hold your mouth right you can load the Sierra 90 grain hollow point bullet because it has a wide nosed hollow point. But forget about those cool pointy 75 and 87 grain spitzers and hollow points that zoom so nice out of a 250 Savage.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Earl, have noticed that in searching about this after you noted it a few days ago. That's a drag about my bullets but, maybe I'll get lucky with it. Can only wait and see what happens. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

earlmck wrote:
Maybe for you personally Pete, but in the real world a 25 Remington model 14 will bring significantly more $ than a 35 Remington in equal condition.

That's what makes a horserace, Earl - and can also make auctions interesting...... :mrgreen:

Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

If you buy it and need brass let me know. I have new 30rem brass
I am one gun away from happy
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

earlmck wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:10 am
Pete44ru wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:14 am .
Rare or not, IMO the chambering puts it's value about 25%-30% lower than a .35 Remington in the same condition. .
That vaunted spiral flute in the tubular magazine that generations of gun writers have assured us was designed for the sole purpose of allowing the use of pointy bullets, well that spiral flute is so effective at canting the cartridge enough to prevent contact with the primer of the round ahead that it forces the point of the spitzer to jam between the follower and the magazine wall. Oooops!
If the only cartridge that jams is the one contacting the follower, there would be two solutions for thatL

a) Load the first one with a blunt-nose bullet, but the rest with your spitzers, and plan on the magazine having 'one less capacity'.
b) Modify the follower somehow; either:
> fill the tube better with it (but that may require it to twist which could be a problem), or
> make it with a 'cup' tip to confine or contain the tip centrally.
Even the latter modification could be done without altering the collectability, if you retain the original follower to swap back for sale.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I'd pay a premium for a 14 in 25 Remington with a good barrel. Nice handling rifles in a very useful bopping around cartridge. Of course I'm biased being severely smitten with the 25-35.

Eric
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Make sure it has a good bore. I had one that would not shoot because the bore was that bad. Anything over 1200 FPS would keyhole. I sold it to some one who collected them and did not care if the bore was bad.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Make sure it has a good bore. I had one that would not shoot because the bore was that bad. Anything over 1200 FPS would keyhole. I sold it to some one who collected them and did not care if the bore was bad.
I hope this one has a good bore. Good Luck!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 pm
earlmck wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:10 am That vaunted spiral flute in the tubular magazine that generations of gun writers have assured us was designed for the sole purpose of allowing the use of pointy bullets, well that spiral flute is so effective at canting the cartridge enough to prevent contact with the primer of the round ahead that it forces the point of the spitzer to jam between the follower and the magazine wall. Oooops!
If the only cartridge that jams is the one contacting the follower, there would be two solutions for thatL

a) Load the first one with a blunt-nose bullet, but the rest with your spitzers, and plan on the magazine having 'one less capacity'.
b) Modify the follower somehow; either:
> fill the tube better with it (but that may require it to twist which could be a problem), or
> make it with a 'cup' tip to confine or contain the tip centrally.
Even the latter modification could be done without altering the collectability, if you retain the original follower to swap back for sale.
I like the way you think, AJ. The problem is that the pointy bullets are even harder to load when pushing against a cartridge than when pushing against the follower. For example with my 25's I can load the 90 grain Sierra h.p. as a three shot by putting one in the chamber, the first one loads against the follower and then you allow it to "suck back" in the "ready" position which lets you get one more loaded against the follower. At that point I can't load any more in my rifles. It'll be interesting to see if Todd has any different experience. That 90 grain Sierra is the pointy-est bullet I have been able to kinda' load and my rifles don't really like it particularly (though I haven't given it a lot of work since the 117 grain R.N. seems to shoot well and I stopped there).

When you get to loading these Todd, the shell holder for .357 works for 25 Rem (as well as shell-plate if you use a progressive). And after an exciting experience wherein I pressure-proofed my Rem 14 (and gave myself a lot of confidence in the strength of the action) I make sure to trim the cases after forming from 30 Rem.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Compare the price of a Model 14 Carbine in 25 to any other Model 14 at an auction and you will see how much the 25 brings...
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

yooper2 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:49 pm I'd pay a premium for a 14 in 25 Remington with a good barrel. Nice handling rifles in a very useful bopping around cartridge. Of course I'm biased being severely smitten with the 25-35.

Eric
My Model 8 is marked 25-35rem
I am one gun away from happy
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Hairtrigger,

I've seen ammo so marked, as well as "30-30 Remington" for the 30 Remington rimless but never knew any rifles were marked that way. Always something new in this game!

Eric
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

AND the 14's marked 25-35 and 30-30 will bring xtra $ from collectors at all other conditions equal...as to the 38-40e and 44/40s.those are models 14 1/2,so it's a basic thruth that the 25's will get you the most $ compared to other 14's. scarcity counts, and the 25 was dropped when the 141 was intro'ed...Nate
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Guess he ain't coming back! Had my hopes up but I have 1st chance if he brings it to shop inthe future. Todd/3leg

t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My Aunt Lillian (1914 to 2004) hunted deer for several decades within the steep mountains of central Pennsylvania. Approx 50 deer were downed during this time with her Remington pump rifle in 25 caliber. None got away that anyone can recall. My cousin's son now has this rifle and shot a big doe with it last year. He makes his brass by turning off the rim of 30-30 cartridges and necking down the case to 25 caliber. A creative method to build 25 Remington cases!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!