Fast Magazine Change

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Fast Magazine Change

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/BJhXpukUV_Y

I can't shoot this fast even without a magazine change...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fast Magazine Change

Post by jeepnik »

Okay standing still in the bright sunlight with nothing else to think about.

Now let's see him do that in an alley, in the rain, at O'dark Thirty, dodging, ducking, swearing and rounds buzzing around his head. He has practiced that drill likely thousands of times. Games are games.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yep. That's going to be the guy who fires one shot at the bad guy, drops a full mag, reloads, fires one shot, drops a full mag, reloads, fires one shot, drops the mag...oh wait I got three shots off and I'm out of mags…
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tycer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:52 pm Yep. That's going to be the guy who fires one shot at the bad guy, drops a full mag, reloads, fires one shot, drops a full mag, reloads, fires one shot, drops the mag...oh wait I got three shots off and I'm out of mags…
:lol: Yeah - I can see doing that - start with a full magazine, but the habit of playing the 'game' is so ingrained, that he'd shoot one round, then drop the almost-full magazine and grab another. That would be dangerous.

.....on the other hand, he does get that second round off almost as fast as my second round would be without a magazine change.... :D

I'm betting he's not including "hitting the target" in his game, though.

Still an amazing speed there.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

That's fast. I looked at YouTube and saw a video of Jerry Mikulek fire 6 rounds from a revolver, reload and fire 6 more on target in 2.99 seconds. That's insane! I'd post it but couldnt get it to copy.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What's the point? When slide racks back when empty I can see, but this. Will someone explain, is this a new competition.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:38 pm Okay standing still in the bright sunlight with nothing else to think about.

Now let's see him do that in an alley, in the rain, at O'dark Thirty, dodging, ducking, swearing and rounds buzzing around his head. He has practiced that drill likely thousands of times. Games are games.
No, he'd probably do just fine there too. If you apply that logic, no two "real world" shooting scenarios are ever alike, and they'll never be the same as any practice. So does that make the practice meaningless?

The best way I've ever heard it described is....

There's two groups of people, those who practice realistic shooting scenarios, that in all likelihood will never happen in their lifetime. And those who practice unrealistic shooting scenarios that happen every weekend.

3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:59 pm What's the point? When slide racks back when empty I can see, but this. Will someone explain, is this a new competition.
Many/most Limted and Open guns don't lock back, even when empty. In that type of shooting, if you've run the gun dry you've screwed up. Reloading is done while moving between target arrays. If you're doing it with targets in front of you, you've wasted time. So you do it before you need to.
(truth is though, blinding fast, non empty, standing reloads like that are only going to make a big difference in Classifiers where reload is required by the stage description. "Shoot A, B, C, perform a mandatory reload, shoot X, Y, Z" )

Some people look at shooting form one single mindset (just like anti gunners... Hmmm..)
But NHRA drag racing is not Sprint Car racing, which is not your morning commute, which is not NASCAR, which is not Rallycross... etc etc.

Shooters are an interesting group. (Interesting, frustrating, annoying, stupid..) ;)

I've never been around a bunch of baseball players and heard one of them say "Oh sure Tiger Woods can hit the ball a long way, but it doesn't count and it's not real because nobody's throwing it at him." :roll:
Slow is just slow.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Tycer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:52 pm Yep. That's going to be the guy who fires one shot at the bad guy, drops a full mag, reloads, fires one shot, drops a full mag, reloads, fires one shot, drops the mag...oh wait I got three shots off and I'm out of mags…
I've heard stories of cops being found dead with empty brass in their pockets. Just like they learned on the range. Granted that was years ago, and with revolvers. I sure hope they teach proper reloading techniques these days.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't take any of the 'shooting games' that seriously, but they are fun to watch, speculate about, and surely DO teach some basic skills that MIGHT come in useful.

Most of us like to take a gun to the bench now and again, and see how small a group we can shoot, but that is rarely what saves a life or puts food on the table - the FIRST shot is typically the ONLY one that counts.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Doc,
Find some video of IPSC competition. I suspect the guy you were watching is one of them. There is a standard set-up of three targets spaced one meter apart at seven meters and shot two rounds on each target, reload and two rounds on each target. Shot from the holster and started by the beep. It's called the Vice Presidente and I've seen it done time after time in under 2.5 seconds. Yeah, that's 12 rounds with a reload and all rounds must be on target.

IDPA is pretty awesome too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS