Wyoming prairie dog plague

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Wyoming prairie dog plague

Post by jnyork »

For any of you thinking of heading to Wyoming for a PD shoot, might want to consider other options. Not only is plague a health threat, it totally wipes out the PD population for hundreds of square miles. About 10 years ago or so, it killed them all in an area encompassing most of Central and Southwest Wyoming. Might no be any to shoot when you get there.

Plague infection was recently confirmed in a northeastern Wyoming prairie dog (Converse County of the Thunder Basin National Grassland), but don’t be too alarmed no human cases have been identified.

Trying to avoid the “prairie dog” plague? Here are some recommended precautions:
•Avoid unnecessary exposure to rodents
•Avoid contact with rodent carcasses
•Avoid areas with unexplained rodent die-offs
•Use insect repellent on boots and pants when in areas that might have fleas
•Use flea control products for pets, and properly dispose of rodents pets may bring home

The plague is rare but always be vigilant when out and about around rodent infested areas.

Concerned you already have the plague? Check for these symptoms:

-Fever
-Swollen and Tender lymph glands
-Extreme exhaustion
-Headache
-Chills

-Coughing
-Difficulty breathing
-Abdominal pain
-Vomiting
-Diarrhea
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wyoming prairie dog plague

Post by GunnyMack »

You forgot 1 symptom- voting Dumbocrate!

When I lived in SE CO every spring/ summer the warnings went out, didn't stop us from blasting those pasture poodles! Boy I miss those days...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I knew folks that ran p-dog "safaris" and I always laughed at pics of them (the hunters) holding up p-dogs they had shot at some ridiculous range. The range part was fine, I was laughing at the holding part. I wouldn't handle one with a pitch fork. The Pink Mist folks quit coming to the Glenrock area when the plague came through that jn speaks of but the dogs are coming back with a vengeance. I had hundreds across the road (sorry they can't be shot at) and was hoping they wouldn't look over the road and infest me again. No such luck. They're tearing the heck out of my shop yard already. I'm 1300 miles away for a family funeral but when I get back there will be some serious killing going on. I finally have grass back at my shop since they died out and don't want to go back to barren dirt.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There's a PD town across the street from the Riverton Middle School... with 2 or 3 per week squashed while trying to get home after eating RMS TruGreen ChemLawn.

It will be interesting at the Hospital when the Middle School comes down with Plague.

Ring around the rosies....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Like most everything 'environmental', there is a CYCLE, and the population will come and go, whether due to plague, or shooters, or whatever.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you live in the area, it would be a good idea to get vaccinated.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost