417 walnut hill

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Discus420
Levergunner

417 walnut hill

Post by Discus420 »

I need to part ways with this gun due to medical bills its got a great bore I will be selling it to a friend but I'm not sure what to ask for it . From everything I have read would 1400$ be a fair market price?

I cant get the photos to work that really makes this hard!!! I will keep trying but for arguments sake lets assume a 80% rifle with a very good bore what's a ballpark figure

it has the correct lyman rear tang that was an option and I have the scope blocks that came with it
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: 417 walnut hill

Post by Shasta »

I checked the completed auctions on Gunbroker and of the two 417 Walnut Hills that actually sold, one went for $1,251 and the other went for $802. A third rifle had an opening bid price of $1,000 and got no bids.
The newest copy of Blue Book of Gun Values rates an 80% 417 Walnut Hill at $440, but in actuality I think that is unrealistically low. My brother-in-law purchased one a few years back that I would rate at 90% and he paid $900 for it.
I would think that your rifle as described would be in the $800-$1,000 range.

Keep in mind that's just my 2 cents worth.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

Thanks Shasta that really helps!!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Those are gorgeous rifles. Never heard of them before. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

I should have mentioned it has a Lyman 438 scope on it as well which was a factory option...... its a pretty pricey item by itself....
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, that scope makes it a $1500 gun, all day long. :)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Lymman 438 scopes are a good entry level scope, but wouldn't add more than $200-$250 over Shasta's value range. And only then if the scope holes are nicely done, and don't go through any lettering. If the holes aren't nicely done, and the correct 7.5" spacing, then it's not factory, and most collectors will spot it quickly. Most Stevens sold with a scope were mounted with a Stevens scope. Stevens didn't offer Lyman scopes as an option, but they did offer Stevens scopes as an option.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 am Lymman 438 scopes are a good entry level scope, but wouldn't add more than $200-$250 over Shasta's value range. And only then if the scope holes are nicely done, and don't go through any lettering. If the holes aren't nicely done, and the correct 7.5" spacing, then it's not factory, and most collectors will spot it quickly. Most Stevens sold with a scope were mounted with a Stevens scope. Stevens didn't offer Lyman scopes as an option, but they did offer Stevens scopes as an option.

The 417 came with holes drilled by Stevens and they absolutely offered the lyman scope for the 417 its in all there ads from the 1930's