Another Knife Project ? ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Another Knife Project ? ?

Post by Pete44ru »

I got lucky today, when I stopped by a consignment shop with my Green-eyed Monster, and found 2 rifleman's-style knives (no sheaths) for the grand total of $3 for the both of them. :mrgreen:

One has a creamy yellow bakelite (?) handle (top, below), and the other a dark piece of stag of some kind (bottom, below).

They're a close blade match to the Rifleman's knife I had obtained 10 years ago from the Crazy Crow Trading Post. (middle, below)

I was contemplating making another re-handling project out of them, but the more I look at & handle them, the more I wanna leave them be - and just make a sheath for them. :roll:

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another Knife Project ? ?

Post by jeepnik »

Noticed the rifleman's knife has a finger guard, whereas the other two don't. Seems the rifleman's knife is designed for slicing and sticking but the two "new" ones are mostly for slicing. Great find no matter what.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

$3?!?

Why can't I ever find those deals?!? :mrgreen:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:58 pm $3?!?

Why can't I ever find those deals?!? :mrgreen:

Seek, and ye shall find.... ;)

They were mixed into a large box that contained all sorts of other knives (mostly kitchen & steak knives), even a few really cheaply-made folders, that I was digging through, out of curiosity.

The OTHER THING I found in that shop, was only a little amazing - a Daisy 1894 lever-action B-B gun in pretty good shape, except that the buttstock was installed upside-down by some goof (I re-installed it correctly), @ $25. :mrgreen:

I gotta dig around my house for some BB's tomorrow, so I can find out if it works.

jeepnik wrote:
Noticed the rifleman's knife has a finger guard, whereas the other two don't. Seems the rifleman's knife is designed for slicing and sticking but the two "new" ones are mostly for slicing.

FWIW, this is a repro of an 18th Century Kentucky Rifleman's knife, so IDK:

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had one of those BB rifles eons ago. Wish I still had it! :D
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

The top one with the yellow handle: I really like the looks & lines of that one just fine, and wouldn't make any changes.

The bottom one with stag handle: if you're of a mind to re-handle, that would be my choice.