Member's Intro

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
terreythompson
Levergunner

Member's Intro

Post by terreythompson »

Hey, I'm Terrey Thompson. I just joined this forum to learn more about gun safety and what kind of firearms I should consider buying. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Member's Intro

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Terry, asking these guys what guns to buy is going to be mighty expensive :shock: :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just get a levergun; that's all you need. Maybe a 44 Mag or 357 Mag since that's a universally useful and available cartridge.

Then a revolver to match so you have a 'pair'.

Then get a 22 LR levergun, so your kids can practice, or you can introduce new people to shooting without the intimidating noise and blast.

Then a 22 revolver to match that (of course).

After that, you'll need a 'rifle-cartridge' levergun, like a 30-30, but of course later on a bigger one like 444 Marlin (not a nasty 45-70 :twisted: :D )

Of course by then, you'll have to get a bolt-action with a scope, and EVERYBODY needs an AR-15.....

.....and a Garand.....

.....and a Springfield 1903.....

.....and........and............and................AND....!!!!!!

:lol: :!: :lol:

WELCOME to the forum...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

AJMD429 is on the right path!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the board, Terry !

If you've never owned or shot a firearm, I would recommend starting with baby steps because .22LR firearms are easy to learn/shoot, before moving up to larger guns.

However, you're on the right track - safety first.

I would heartily recommend you look on your state's website, for it's fish/wildlife/hunting section, to enroll in a (free) Hunter Safety course (usually 10hrs), even if you have no intention of hunting.

Those courses are usually taught by an NRA (National Rifle Assn - which you should be a member of/join) firearms instructor, so you will receive good advice on firearms safety.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Welcome. 8) This bunch of enablers has cost me a ton of money. 8) There's no need to buy too many, 25 or 30 will be sufficient. :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

WELCOME ABOARD!!
As already stated, be prepared to get the "bug" which I do not believe there is a cure for!! But it's a GOOD bug.
When I started buying I was told to pick a caliber, buy it, shoot it and then go up 1 caliber, then down 1 until you have one of everything!
Ya can never go wrong with a .22!! Heck I've got at least a dozen!
Bolts & levers are great but you need to buy another if you want a different caliber as opposed to an AR where you can just change an upper... Then you have multiple uppers( my case was 2 .223's and a .450 Bushmaster) that got to be a pain so I got 2 more lowers!

Then you need shotguns! Over & Unders and doubles and pumps and semi autos. Oh and let's not forget ya gotta get different gauges too!!

Wooohooo you are going to learn a lot and have a bunch o fun while you are at it!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome!

I smell a fresh bank account that needs to be exchanged for a safe full of cool guns! :D
Seriously though, this is a great bunch, with LOTS of knowledge. And, on more than just leverguns....gasp! :o
The guys gave good advise. Try and find a reputable safety course in your area.
If you have friends that shoot, try as many different firearms as you can before you buy. Some shops with a range, or in the boonies, will let you try used stuff before you buy, also.
Most in the shooting community are glad to help a new shooter.

Oh, and if you haven't already, join the NRA asap!
Again, welcome.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you are new to firearms, I would HANDS DOWN recommend a Henry levergun in 22 LR.

It will be a family heritage and even if you don't (which would be strange) wind up loving it, will always maintain great resale value (most leverguns do).

It will be relatively quiet, inexpensive to shoot, easy to put whatever sights (aperture are best) or < gasp > scope on so you can hit your targets well.

Henrys are made in the U.S.A. too...! 8)

The Marlin 39a is a great classic, but I think the Henry is 'handier', and Winchesters are hard to find, even 'reproductions'.

I have a Ruger 96 (actually, a couple), and actually think they are the best 22 LR levergun of all (they use 10/22 magazines and many 10/22 accessories), plus I got an integrally-suppressed barrel for it so it is almost silent (good for helping newbies learn without flinching). The 96's are no longer in production though, and hard to find.

So the HENRY would be my choice.....!!!

The other shootin' iron you might want to get is a quality airgun or 'pellet' rifle. Especially if you don't live where you can shoot real handguns or rifles in your back yard, you may be able to shoot a 17 or 22 caliber pellet rifle 'out back' or in a basement range, safely and quietly and legally. That makes for lots of good training in safe gun handling, accurate shooting, and just plain FUN that is VERY inexpensive. Someone who's shot 5,000 rounds or so of pellets at pop-cans in their back yard is pretty much guaranteed to be a better shot when they get a real rifle in-hand than someone who's never done that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:00 am Welcome to the fire Terry, asking these guys what guns to buy is going to be mighty expensive :shock: :D
+1 on both counts!

GK nailed it; this place is full of enablers!

Heck, not only will they encourage you - many here will sell you things to boot! :wink: