1886 Winne, yea or nay

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

1886 Winne, yea or nay

Post by Thunder50 »

Local gun show has an 1886 in 38-56 in sad shape. Bore is worthless, like a sewer pipe, buttstock has been cut-off (or broken) and a 3" long piece spliced in. Forearm also is broken. Action rusty inside, but appears mechanically very good. Barrel is heavy, about as big or a bit bigger in diameter than my Remington Varmint bolt gun. Like instead of grinding flats the factory left it as it was.

they want $850 for it. Is it worth it? Could get it rebored I guess, to 40-65 or 45-70 (can I turn it into a 50-110?). figure probably would be at least $600 or so to get it in decent shape.

Opinions?
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1886 Winne, yea or nay

Post by Pete44ru »

It might be worth it, for turning into a .45-70 and/or a .50-110 - but, as always, it depends upon how bad you'd like a project for the coming Winter.

I'd think hard about having the barrel re-lined to the original chambering, though. (keeping the original barrel markings)

It's be nice to find out from the Cody Museum if the barrel was a Special Order, too.

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
I would buy it for $600.
If you want to go to a 50-100 be prepared to have to modify every aspect of the feed / loading system. We turned a 45-70 into a 50 Alaskan and it does require a lot of work. Not impossible but just be prepared to discover all sorts of minor issues to work through.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

You must time and $ on your hands.
Why not buy a used Miroku 1886 45-70 or 45-90 and shoot without having to rebuild it?
Just asking.

No, my 1886 .45-90 is not for sale.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

crs--good point. Time, yes, but the money part is something else entirely.

don't think I have seen an 1886 with this large in diameter barrel
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

$850 purchase + $600 fix up = $1450 for a decent original Winchester 1886? Not a bad deal!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You can't have my 1886 45-90 for that price either. I'd try to get it for six or so and it sounds as though that may be a special barrel contour. A Cody letter will tell you more about it. I too would probably think re-line in original caliber to save barrel markings and feed parts. Brass and dies are available from Bufallo Arms usually.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I would be sorely tempted to purchase it and send it off to Hunter Restorations for a complete rebuild, including CC and Octagon barrel in the caliber of choice, and extra fancy wood. Mind you, this would not be done for free, but the end result would be gorgeous. I had a beater rebuilt by Mike several years ago and it was jaw-dropping lovely.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/ ... ght-86.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/ ... -40-82.jpg
Last edited by KirkD on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

KirkD wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:30 pm I would be sorely tempted to purchase it and send it off to Hunter Restorations for a complete rebuild, including CC and Octagon barrel in the caliber of choice, and extra fancy wood. Mind you, this would not be done for free, but the end result would be gorgeous. I had a beater rebuilt by Mike several years ago and it was jaw-dropping lovely.
That sounds like you owe yerself a birthday present, Kirk - Happy B-Day !

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am very much trying to straighten out finances prior to retirement in 7years ....and I would jump all over that! As a matter of fact if you decide it is not for you please pm me his contact information. Thanks. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Question: are you going to do the needed work on the rifle yourself or "farm it out?"

I think if you farm it out, your US$600.00 might not be enough. If you reline to the same or another calibre, that is about $300.00. Stock wood, fitting, and finishing -- another$ 200-250.00? Then add in color case or re-blueing. Plus you have no idea if the internal parts are for a 38-56 or just put in to make the rifle "sellable."

And if you turn it into another calibre or keep it a .38-56, factor in the cost of dies, brass, and a bullet mould if you do not already have them.

If you could get a factory letter that would tell what its original configuration and calibre and give a better idea of what it is worth . Who knows if it originally was a .38-56 or if it was re- barreled or altered in some other way over the years.

My initial reaction is that it is a money pit for $850.00. Even at $600.00 I would need to think about what it could and will cost to get it in shape.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

You buy junk it stays junk.

Think of the money and time you need to put into it so that it becomes a shooter. If you just spent that amount of money up front you could have an original condition shooter.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

fordwannabe--if I can get it for you, I will do so.

Otherwise, I have enough "projects" to last me for years. I would probably do the work myself if I got it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If....if........the metal is sound with no unsightly rust gouges...in other words, "clean", it is well worth it..6-8. Early 1886's were heavy barreled as standard....around .700 or a tad less at the muzzle. You have to go around .850-.900 at the muzzle in order for it to be special order and then they made another one that was heavier than that. I have one 1886 in 40-65 that is standard in all respects and weighs 10 pounds.

Replacement wood is easy to come by.....beat it up some to match the metal, rub in some dirty grease and give it an oil finish.

Reline it to 40-65,45-70, or 90. Keep away from the 50-110 or 50-100 unless the Smith knows exactly what he is doing and if you do decide on the 50, have the Smith install a liner with the faster twist so you can load the 450 grain bullets.

Replace any buggered up screws or fix them. I can't see your project costing more than 5.

Ive never been a fan of any old Winchester with a lot of high condition...unless it's original.....but that's your call on the refinish-----6.
Model A Uzi’s