AR 'Meltdown' Videos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

AR 'Meltdown' Videos

Post by AJMD429 »

The IraqVeteran8888 'meltdown' videos are interesting in that they do show what the various 'weak links' are in various models.

Most of them that I've seen last 500-1500 rounds before catching on fire, and the barrels melt and droop and gas tubes blow out and so on.

Since I never have fired a real full-auto 'AR' more than 50 rounds or so at a time, I wondered if those guys tested a full-auto rated upper, and they did:

https://youtu.be/7Id_soYaAm8

Pretty impressive - I don't think in semi-auto mode I could EVER wear out one of the uppers in the video above...!

They do make a semiauto version of the above - https://pof-usa.com/p415/ price not for the faint-of-heart though.

(Still it would likely outlast 3 or 4 entry-level guns at a third the price)

They also did one on a 22 LR 'AR'. . . https://youtu.be/cjW3uoG_Wn0 . . . . and it did REALLY WELL (better than many semiautos)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Re: AR 'Meltdown' Videos

Post by HawkCreek »

Never saw an M16 melt down but just before my past deployment we had brand new A4's and shot the hell out of them before heading out. I dumped 8 magazines through mine as fast as I could using burst, the aluminum hamdguard were to hot to touch without gloves but that rifle showed no signs of slowing down. Several other guys did the combat load mag dumps twice with only enough break needed to load their mags with stripper clips and likewise had no issues. Those were FN made M16A4's back then, very well made.

I did see a lot of guys get their SAW's too hot though. And I had a hand in burning out a few M240 barrels in my day.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: AR 'Meltdown' Videos

Post by Malamute »

Ive seen some of his vids, they look like fun, but the ones Ive seen were of questionable conclusions. One was an AR meltdown, but with a stainless barrel, which isnt as tough as a GI barrel (true GI spec, not cheapo so-called "mil-spec". His seemed to conclude his results were representative of "an AR' which is not correct. Stainless barrels arent as tough as a chrome lined barrel of proper steel and heat treat. I agree that semi auto isnt likely to wear stuff out anything like full auto and a huge stack of loaded magazines.

Another one was with AKs. His first one was a basic Romanian, which didnt last very long before the barrel was so hot it drooped, and ceased to function. He whacked it on a tree or something to bend the barrel back upwards and it worked again. I think it didnt fit his pre-conceived idea of how tough an AK is, so he repeated it with a heavy barreled version, which of course lasted longer. He then concluded that AKs were as tough as they were purported to be in legend, but by his example, it took a non-standard format to do so.

Meltdowns are fun to watch, but I dont think they are very representative of actual use in the field. Most people have no reason to shoot full auto through all their ammo in a handheld weapon, nor have enough ammo to. Its not very effective past very close range with hand held personal weapons.

if you havenet seen the posts by the guy that owns Battlefield Las Vegas, (think most were on arf.com) he had some interesting information. Aks tend to start cracking receivers at around 100K rounds, ARs seem to go 200K on the receivers. Barrels of course get changed when they fail to make acceptable groups at the close distances they shoot them with their customers. Also not too realistic in that sense, but the overall longevity is interesting. He also said I believe NONE of the piston ARs theyve tried worked well for very long, they eventually gave up on them because of parts breakage failures. I forget how many rounds they go through, but I believe they have about 100K rds a month shipped in of 5.56. Most of their guns are converted to full auto, so most of the shooting life of their guns was shot full auto, but not more than a few mags at a time.

If one hasnt read Pat Rogers piece on Filthy 14, google it, its pretty interesting.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?