Snake in the hen house

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Snake in the hen house

Post by crs »

Recent heavy rains have brought all sorts of varmints up from low areas.
This morning my wife found a snake curled up in a chicken nest with a dummy ceramic egg showing in its belly.
So, I strapped on my M19 .357 with snake shot loads and went to the chicken yard. My grandson used a hoe to lift one sick-at-its-stomach 4 foot snake out onto the grass where I dispatched it with snake shot to the head - DRT.

As a kid, we had chickens, cats, and dogs and therefore considered all snakes to be varmints and the rattlers and moccasins were just more dangerous varmints to be done with for the benefit of humans and livestock. Back then I used my Daisy pump BB gun to kill them and it is long gone so I use one of my fave revolvers. Man, the 6 inch M19 does feel good on my hip. :)
I may take it with me to Whittington Center next week.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Snake in the hen house

Post by J Miller »

Snakes:
> Out in the wild I leave them alone. That's their place.
> Up close to the house or in the livestock area, they are terminated with extreme prejudice. That's my place.

I have a friend that eats them. I'm not that hard core.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Some of my deer hunting buddies ate rattlesnakes, but I have so far not tried it.

I grew up in rattlesnake country and there were moccasins anywhere there was water, so as a young hunter, I terminated every poisonous snake that I came across rather than leave it to strike me or someone else at a later date. I still do.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The Jewish part of me won't eat snakes, but the Texan in me might just enjoy that... :wink:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Charles, I have been impressed with the CCI .22 LR shot load. I killed a three-footer from about six feet with one shot and it didn't quiver. Can imagine the .357 is even more effective. Hope to give the .45 ACP version a try if they are ever back in stock.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

crs wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:29 am Recent heavy rains have brought all sorts of varmints up from low areas.
This morning my wife found a snake curled up in a chicken nest with a dummy ceramic egg showing in its belly.
So, I strapped on my M19 .357 with snake shot loads and went to the chicken yard. My grandson used a hoe to lift one sick-at-its-stomach 4 foot snake out onto the grass where I dispatched it with snake shot to the head - DRT.

As a kid, we had chickens, cats, and dogs and therefore considered all snakes to be varmints and the rattlers and moccasins were just more dangerous varmints to be done with for the benefit of humans and livestock. Back then I used my Daisy pump BB gun to kill them and it is long gone so I use one of my fave revolvers. Man, the 6 inch M19 does feel good on my hip. :)
I may take it with me to Whittington Center next week.

I'm curious about the ceramic egg..... :o
Merle from PA
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

crs wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:46 am Some of my deer hunting buddies ate rattlesnakes, but I have so far not tried it.

Tastes just like chicken...... ;) . :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Fried up, rattlesnake is pretty good eating. We used to hunt them for the meat. Now days they tell us that they're endangered and not to kill them. They're still dead if I see them around the house.
Last edited by JB on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had fried rattlesnake at Rustler's Roost near Phoenix a couple years back. Wasn't bad, but I like alligator better (if we're sticking to reptiles)! :D
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

A friend wo kept chickens used fake eggs to lure the hens into laying real ones.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

junkbug wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:00 pm A friend wo kept chickens used fake eggs to lure the hens into laying real ones.
OK, thanks - never saw that one before.... :?
Merle from PA
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

@crs: What kind of snake was it?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Years ago I kept snakes, red tail boa, rainbow boa(2), Burmese Python, King snake( nicest one of the lot), Kenya sand boa.
At one point even tried to tame a Bull Snake- meanest *** ever!
I'd hunt rattlers with a 1/2 " breaker bar. Just ease up and whack em behind the head. I'd shoot a Bull though!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Kashi,
It was an egg eating, grandma scaring snake! Not tolerated around here.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:40 am Years ago I kept snakes, red tail boa, rainbow boa(2), Burmese Python, King snake( nicest one of the lot), Kenya sand boa.
At one point even tried to tame a Bull Snake- meanest *** ever!
I'd hunt rattlers with a 1/2 " breaker bar. Just ease up and whack em behind the head. I'd shoot a Bull though!
Bull snakes are born with an attitude, but I leave them alone when out in the wild. They eat rattlesnakes and are immune to the venom. I have been close to bull snakes when they vibrate their tail against dry leaves or something similar. It sounds a whole lot like a rattlesnake. Talk about a dose of adrenalin and going to pucker factor 10 in about half of a heartbeat. You see the bull snake and hear what sounds like a rattler that you don't see.
PillHer was in the yard a few years ago and a rat snake dropped out of the pear tree onto her shoulders. I was at work, and when she screamed a neighbor came out with a pistol. He killed the snake. When the police showed up, PillHer told the officer what happened. She was still shaking. He gave the neighbor a verbal warning about discharging a firearm within the city limits.
A young co-worker who lives out in the country has a younger sister who was bitten by a rat snake. The younger sister was walking into the house, and a rat snake was in the hedge beside the cement walkway. It reached up and bit her on the butt as she walked past. She screamed and my co-worker was home at the time. She came out with her Henry .22lr lever action and killed the snake. I gave the co-worker that Henry. Her Mom was very angry with me for a while, but she has forgiven me since that incident. The co-worker was 20 when I gave it to her. She is now in nursing school and is looking at guns for concealed carry. She plans on getting her license soon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Actually there are quite a few different snakes that try using the tail rattle as a warning. One of which are the hog nose snakes. Stepped out the door at a buddies and all of a sudden we heard the buzzing. We stopped on his stoop and looked, took us a few minutes to find the snake, it was a new born western hog nose, no bigger then about 4" long. That little thing stopped us cold!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Been 'bit' by lots of rat snakes and milk snakes, but their teeth are more like coarse sandpaper than real teeth, and mostly an annoyance.

I wouldn't kill a non-venomous snake any more than I'd kill a chickadee or butterfly; they aren't going to do me any harm. If one is in the hen house I'll walk it back in the woods 3-400 yards and turn it loose; it won't get back to the henhouse.

A venomous one I'd also leave alone but just relocate, especially now that we don't have young kids toddling around.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That would of scared my wife to death, we don`t have any dangerous snakes here but I still don`t like them.
A garden snake had a toad in his mouth head first one day, the toad puffs himself up so it`s not so easy to swallow him.
I held the snake with a stick and freed the toad boy did that make that snake mad, he coiled up like a rattler and acted like he was going to attack me.
Shortly after that he lost his head from a quick blow from a machete :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.