Evacuation thinkin'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Evacuation thinkin'

Post by mikld »

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my guns and reloading supplies because an evacuation order, stage 3, has been issued to an area less 1 mile from my home. The Chetco Bar fire is burning down towards the coast and a huge area is considered unsafe, if conditions get any worse, there's a possibility I'll need to leave. I'm not overly concerned/frightened but I learned a long time ago to be prepared...

I wasn't able to afford nor do I have room for a real gun safe, but I have many of my guns in a steel "gun" cabinet, primers in a plastic container and powders in a steel cabinet away from the guns and primers. My "in case" plan includes a AK74 w/1,000 rounds and a 9mm w/200 rounds along with two backpacks of "Earthquake supplies" and both our vehicles are supplied with "72 hr packs". (I lived in LA for many years and was well supplied with Earthquake Prep stuff and carried on with that line of thought up here in Oregon) I don't believe the fire will reach my house/neighbor hood because of terrain, open areas, etc. but just thinking... :( . I could load my truck with most of my guns and a lot of the ammo I have on hand fairly easily and quickly, but like I said, just thinking for now.

The community is really coming together though. Two restaurants in town have closed to the public and are supplying meals to the fire fighters on the lines. Some motels and even private homes have opened up for housing some evacuees, both the folks and large animals from up river. Many "put your RV or tents in out yard" offers. Several people have offered care for pets and animals and the Humane Society has offered help getting animals to safety. Our neighboring towns to the north and south have posted welcomes to any evacuees needing help or housing. Meals/food has also been offered by local churches. I guess I'm impressed with the way folks here react in an emergency which is the opposite of what would happen in LA...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Evacuation thinkin'

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Think about that because of tornadoes or flood. What do you have for food with! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have always thought if I lived in a place where I had to sweat forest fires, at the first hint of a fire anywhere within 10 or 15 miles I would have my 5th wheel hooked up , cocked and locked with all my really good stuff in it, like papers, family pix, plenty of food, water, clothing. Only takes us about an hour to be completely loaded up. Then, if the order comes, turn on the engine and head out immediately.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have a bunch of MREs and lots of canned goods (I like Spam!). Freeze dried stuff (soups, ramin, casseroles, etc.) I rotate the caned stuff more than the MREs and keep at least 2 cases of bottled water on hand (when in LA I had 2 weeks worth of food in my shed ans another 2 weeks on my 30' sailboat). And don't forget toilet paper... :mrgreen:
Mike
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

jnyork wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 pm I have always thought if I lived in a place where I had to sweat forest fires, at the first hint of a fire anywhere within 10 or 15 miles I would have my 5th wheel hooked up , cocked and locked with all my really good stuff in it, like papers, family pix, plenty of food, water, clothing. Only takes us about an hour to be completely loaded up. Then, if the order comes, turn on the engine and head out immediately.
Yep. Excellent thinkin'...
Mike
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The blue paper towels at the gas pump are awesome for all types of cleaning ! I grab 5-10 every time I stop,,, 8) the brown type ain't that good. I love spam too, especially the jalapeño, bacon and cheese flavored ones.... :mrgreen: Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Twice in my life my family's been told to leave, both times because of fire. Once when I was 4, mom took me into town to a friend's house and she went back to fight fire around the house while my step dad cut fire lines on the cat. Last year it happened again. I'm 34 now and told them I wasn't leaving, went back to filling my sprayer and continued to do that for the next two days. 300 gallons doesn't at all keep up with a fire truck but it's not in me to run. Just cant do it. Kept the fire away and it never even reached our green/defensive belt though our neighbor lost some cow sheds.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Earthquake is the thing here. But once the quake happens it's pretty much over except for after shocks. That is except for one issue and that is tsunami. I'm real close to the ocean, and although I'm up a bit I suspect it might not be enough. But you do get some warning about a tsunami.

Important papers are kept in a nice Pelican case. I've been digitizing photos and storing them with a relative in another area. Firearms are kept in the safe, but I have hard cases for all of them and it wouldn't take all that long to case them up. I'll leave the other mementos and such to my wife. She seems to have a plan. Really the biggest thing I'm make sure I have these days is my prescription meds.

The things I can't take in a hurry and I'd really miss are my tools. Fifty years of accumulated hand and power tools, some I don't even know I have until I go looking for them, would be difficult and costly to replace.

I can get that stuff plus the actual needfuls into my Jeep pretty quick. I'm not even thinking about trying to get out of my area. I'd need to cross a lot of low ground that is bound to be clogged with all sorts of folks. I can get to an area that is over 800' in less that 5 minutes normally. And if the road is clogged, well I don't drive a jeep for nothing. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Ray wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:07 pm If what they say in the news is true re. the new gun confiscation law there in oregon, just mentioning an ak-47/74 and 1000 rounds of ammunition in an otherwise meaningful and innocent post can get all of your guns took away without much due process and no warning to you…..
I lied. I have a 10-22... BTW There has to be a complaint or demostic violence incidennt for confisca
tion, suppposeidly....
Mike
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

mikld wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:37 pm
I lied. I have a 10-22... BTW There has to be a complaint or demostic violence incidennt for confisca
tion, suppposeidly....
I read the bill our democlowns passed, mikld -- there does indeed have to be a complaint. But that complaint can come from any close relative, household member, or ex-household member -- uh -- ex-spouse do you suppose? But it is "for your own good" according to one of the sponsors to whom I wrote in opposition. "To keep you disturbed veterans from committing suicide" he said. That part about veteran suicide isn't in the bill, just in the intent I guess. The bill did indeed disturb this old veteran but suicide wasn't the emotion that bubbled up.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I like the idea of layered plans. I read of a guys experience evacuating and rebuilding life after Katrina, he had some good ideas and observations. He now has plans in steps, depending on the time he may have. One thing he did was digitize all his important papers, including banking info, house deed, employment info and resume, service record and such, and all pictures and things in his house to document them. He found that when almost everything in his home area was down and out for a while, he didnt have access to important info and contacts to rebuild his life somewhere else.

To simplify, id suggest taking pictures of all your reloading supplies, guns (serial numbers), ammo, and anything else of value to prove you owned them. Making several copies and keeping it on encrypted flash drives, one on your keyring, another at home, mail one to a trusted friend or family member far enough away to be safe in event of natural disaster etc. Info needs to be updated now and then. but not having it can mean not being able to prove you owned things for insurance, or file theft reports and such. He kept his laptop, keys and basics by the bed at night so he could grab and go, even if in pajamas he wouldnt be without resources or important info. I guess in todays world you can have much of that in a smart phone or tablet, with backup had drives or flash drives for data storage.

Its a bit long, but has some good info.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/

I think the camper idea ready to go at short notice is a great idea. Id also suggest keeping a set of important basics in your primary vehicle also, in case you were caught away from home, or something happened and it wasnt possible to pull the camper (like bridges out, 4wd passable only conditions) and you had to ditch it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I think that with the folks on here you wouldn't have a lack of places to go and wouldn't be short of meals. Come on down well fix you up!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Mike how are things going ?
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Fires scare the bee-gee-us out of me. I could loose my tools and firearms, but the loss of 130 years of family photographs and other memorabilia would be hard to deal with....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

harry wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 pm Mike how are things going ?
Cheto Bar fire now about 100,000 acres. 7 structures lost (blame already starting. Forestry Service taking hits). Actual fire line within 2.5-5 miles of town. Some residents allowed to re enter evacuation area w/permission from Sheriff. High humidity and coastal fog with decreases winds slowing fire down considerably (prayers working. Thank you Jesus). Smoke and ash still problematic for most, and those w/breathing difficulties have free shelter at local medical facility. Stage 3 evacuation notice still in effect for about 75% of the area east of Brookings/Harbor. No lives lost and very few if any domesticated animals (horses, cattle, sheep, etc.) lost. Help pouring in from surrounding cities with offers for free hauling, storage and parking areas posted. Fire fighters staging in the port and community and local businesses are taking good care of them.
Mike
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

m.wun wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:15 pm I think that with the folks on here you wouldn't have a lack of places to go and wouldn't be short of meals. Come on down well fix you up!
Thanks , but I grew up in So. Central LA and lived in the area most of my life (worked for the city of LA 25 years, right downtown) and it would take a total loss of everything I own to get me back down to So. CA... :lol:
Mike
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ray Newman wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:46 pm Fires scare the bee-gee-us out of me. I could loose my tools and firearms, but the loss of 130 years of family photographs and other memorabilia would be hard to deal with....
Do you have copies of the pictures? Thats what digitizing them can do, then you can carry them around in your pocket or keychain, and send copies somewhere else, or in the bank safe deposit box.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I would suggest secure, fire, theft safe storage for any photos, memories, etc, along with important documents, an "off site" secure storage area. Because of legal problems with a meth-head crazy sister, I have no pics or family memorabilia at all. Father and mother's belongings "disappeared" shortly after their death (along with one of my Father's bank accounts). I have my High School Yearbook but nothing beyond 25 years ago.
Mike
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

My home/neighborhood has been upgraded to a Level 1 Evacuation status, meaning pack and get ready (Stage 2 is "Get Set", and 3 is "Go!"). Have bags packed (as if we are going on a week long trip), papers ready and phones/tablets charged. If we get to three, we'll prolly go south. Some motels in Crescent City, CA are offering "Evacuee Rates"...
Mike