Hog vital zone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Hog vital zone?

Post by TedH »

I remember seeing a drawing of a hogs vital area some time ago. I think it was something someone posted on the old Leverguns but a quick Google didn't turn up anything. Anybody remember that, or where I can find something similar?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Maybe you can find something that will help here...

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

:)
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

ear canal or neck stands a better chance of being hit than heart/lungs since heart is so low in chest cavity. A lung shot will take them down, but they can go for awhile if the heart isn't hit before giving up since they have more blood volume than you would expect.
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

Try this site and scroll down a bit.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/hog.html

Do not take frontal shots at wild pigs. On a broadside shot put the bullet just above the "elbow" of the front leg when the pig is dead broadside. A hog can survive on one lung, so it's important to get both lungs. I don't suggest a quartering shot unless you can hit far enough forward to catch both lungs, or another vital organ.

Also, keep in mind that a hog only bleeds "like a stuck pig" when you have a low wound, you really need to cause some pretty severe hemmorhage to get a good bloodtrail from a hog. Their thick hide, subcutaneous body fat and remarkably fast clotting times really do prevent much external blood loss by these animals.
Last edited by cjm135 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I saw a diagram of a hog's vitals but can't remember where. The advice was to shoot through the shoulder, not behind it. On a deer the vitals are behind the front shoulder, on a hog the vitals are between the shoulders. This is for a picture perfect broadside shot. If the hog was at an angle you would have to adjust as necessary. Never mind I found the site:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/calhog.html#biology

Scroll down till you see the diagram. Or you can read all the info preceding the diagram. Good source of info.
Oz n bolivia
Levergunner

Post by Oz n bolivia »

Read something a while back that suggested that any boar should be shot behind the ear. Reason being that the build up of mud and hair will be like armor plate on the sides, reducing the amount of penetration, or cause a bullet to bounce off. A 22RF will easily kill a boar if placed in the ear head bone hole. Then again that applies to any game, but can mess up a trophy it it exits. Some of you boar hunters could expound on the truth of what I read.

Oz
Remaining a curious student throughout life renders one’s life interesting and progressive.
Robert Smyth
He stated that the way I feel.
Knowledge is all we do, see, touch, hear, read. What we do with that knowledge shows our wisdom.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thanks all, that's just the kind of stuff I was looking for.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

A good look at the photo will show why so many folks gut shoot hogs. They are not that hard to kill, but shooting them in the guts won't stop them quickly.
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

How do you think 000Buck would do on a hog?
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Holy cow Hobie! Where did you find that pig?

That's got to be some kinda genetic anomily :shock: .
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Andrew wrote:Holy cow Hobie! Where did you find that pig?

That's got to be some kinda genetic anomaly :shock: .
Exoskeleton. :wink:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

WCF3030 wrote:
Andrew wrote:Holy cow Hobie! Where did you find that pig?

That's got to be some kinda genetic anomaly :shock: .
Exoskeleton. :wink:
That hog is an exobitionist... I think I got the image from Ganjiro, certainly he knows hog anatomy...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Hogs

Post by CaptainFinn »

Awesome pic, Hobie ! I'm printing a copy to give to my stepson as a reference.

When I lived down Florida way, I hunted a score of pigs over a two-year period. Just above/behind the 'eblow' is a valid aiming point to clock them in the old ticke, but a head shot soon became my shot of choice. Aim halway betweent he eye and the ear canal. Most of the time I was either using an old style Ruger .44 carbine with 240 gr XTP's, or one of my Rossi .45's with a hard-cast 300-gr SWC-GC. Head shots put them down nice and quick. I had one of the 'heart shots' run about 40 feet, and another one dropped on the spot.

My hunting buddies all had .30-06's except for a pair of CAS shooters, one used a Ruger Blackhawk .45 with 300-gr SWC's, and the other guy had a Marlin 1895 with 400-ish hardcast loads.

The gent with the Blackhawk hit a 280-lb sow with four shots, all in the center-of-mass, and chased the piggie into a canal, where she drowned. A soaking-wet 280-lbs sow is not fun to get out of a 5' deep canal !

The guy with the Marlin nailed his 240-lb hog through the shoulders. The pig flopped on his side, scooted around in a circle like Curly from the Three Stooges and then flopped over on his backside, kicked a few times, and died.

So I guess the moral is, shot placement is the key.

P.S. Hobie, where'd ya get that pic ? Any chance of a similar one for deer ?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have currently shot 99 pigs between feral hogs and boar. Hope to make the 100 mark this year!

I tell customers to aim right in line with the front leg, about 1/3 up the body. Also, if the pig turns its head there will be a distint line formed by the wrinkle. Just behind the line is a great shot.

Personally I have shot them every which way with all kind of guns. If you use enough gun and excellent bullets you can take 'em down with frontal shots, rear end shots, etc. Being familiar with the anatomy first, (and we all are thanks to Hobies picture of the pigs vitals) and knowing your cartridge capability is key.

At our TX place I have often startled a pig out of its bed and caused it to run away from me. On several occassions I have put the sights on the fleeing pig and knocked 'em down. I am always carrying the 45-70 with 405gr Kodiak bullets which walking around the ranch. That combo, as CRS witnessed, easily gets to a pigs vitals with a rear shot. Be prepared and willing to put another fast shot in to keep the pig there if necessary.
So far never had one run from a broadside shoulder or neck shot or a close range frontal or rear shot.

Here's a 405gr Kodiak that went over 3 feet from rear to front in a hog and lodged under the jawbone:

For stand hunting hogs at ranges I know to be 75 yards or less I use a 45Colt 300gr hardcast running around 1400 fps out of my 20" barrel. So far it has passed through pigs up to 200 lbs on broadside shots. I also will take the head or neck shot from a blind with time on my side. With the exception of the head shots the pig usually do run - up to 50 yards sometimes.

Here are some taken with the 45 Colt:

This one recently taken by customer:
jvaldes
Levergunner

hog vitals

Post by jvaldes »

TED

I second Rimrock. The size of the chest is about the same size of the upper neck. Upper neck shot = No tracking, does not molest your meat (ribs, shoulder or backstraps), and virtually any caliber will anchor the hog.

Having said that, I do aim for a heart or lungs when i need to reinforce the blood tracking for my Drahthaars.

just my 2 cents.

JV
[/img]Image
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

So, Joe, you are saying the "Texas Heart Shot" will anchor a Porker :?: :!: :wink:
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Les:

I'm saying that if you know your bullet has the integrity to penetrate enough at a given range it can be done. I've done it a number of times. I am also very willing to shoot again, and again if necessary without regard to damaging the hide or meat.

The feral hogs are considered pests, a nuisance if you will. Personally I have great respect for them and I like having them around. However, they have to been kept to a managable number. If some meat gets ruined I'm not too worried about it, the vultures get whatever we don't butcher so its getting recycled.

With any animal, it is important to know the ability of your equipment and to be at ease with the overall importance of your trophy. If you want a specimen for taxidermy or if you intend on eating every bit there are other options to kill the animal with as little damage as possible.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

the pig picture Hobie provided makes a great target !!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/312841.jpg

Cheers,

Carl