SAKO Finnwolf ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

SAKO Finnwolf ?

Post by t.r. »

This photo was sent to me from a hunter in Australia. He hunts sambar deer and other big game animals with this .308 rifle. This rifle appears to be a pristine SAKO Finnwolf. They were built in the early 1970's but never became widely popular. Sadly, SAKO halted production after a few short years. Correct me if I'm wrong to state that this was the only European lever action to be built (other than current Winchester & Henry copies). The lever action rifle was and is an American focus.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
41bear
Levergunner 2.0

Re: SAKO Finnwolf ?

Post by 41bear »

You got it right That is a SAKO Finnwolf. I believe they were only in two calibers 308 and 243. A great looking gun And yes the only EU Lever.
DEO VINDICE

"if only one man among all of the rest will not break ...then all of them, all those who so despise men that they believe all men can be broken and all men can be bought, all of them have failed and all of them are defeated, because one alone destroys them and one alone can give heart to all other men." - Robert Crichton
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SAKO Finnwolf ?

Post by hfcable »

"Correct me if I'm wrong to state that this was the only European lever action to be built (other than current Winchester & Henry copies)"

actually there were a very few other european lever guns made; in belgium at liege they actually made [ probably illegaly ] excellent copies of the winchester 1876 musket and carbine in the late 1800's [ saw one that was like new at an auction but was outbid]; the Liege makers also made spencer lever guns for a while [winchester bought out spencers machinery when spencer went under and sold it to the makers in belgium] i have one of those spencers and they were centerfires, not rimfires. also here is an early lever rifle :
A very rare 52 bore Atkinson & Needham 1881 gravity feed centre fire repeating rifle, with 24" sighted barrel, under lever operation, butt trap numbered 130, £POA

and here is a lever action Larson-Whitner 16 gauge also from europe:

and there were likely others but you are right they really caught on and were perfected here, and for the longest time a hunting rifle almost always meant a levergun here in the USA.
cable