Reloading Equipment

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Reloading Equipment

Post by GonnePhishin »

I don't know if this topic has been addressed in the past but being a new member I could use some advice.
Can anyone recommend some good, RELIABLE, loading equipment from experience? It would be used primarily for pistol cartridges, but maybe 233/308 as well. I would be interested in a progressive machine.
I know Dillon has a good following, but does anyone have any experience with Hornady?
Any suggestions would be appreciated :) :)

UncleBuck
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Reloading Equipment

Post by Old Ironsights »

Define "reliable".

Even a Lee 1000 is "reliable" once you have taken the time to learn it.

Almost any Turret Press is "more reliable", but slower, and with a shallower learning curve than a Progressive.

Any Single Stage Press by anybody is "more reliable" but slower, and with a shallower learning curve than a Turret.

A Lee Loader or 310 Tong Tool is "More Reliable" than any of the above, but is slower still.

There are trade offs to everything.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I own and use a Dillon Square Deal B, for pistol/revolver cartridges. As a Progressive/auto indexing machine it continues to reload quality ammo for me with the least amount of breakdowns or problems. I live close by Dillon so if I have a problem, I just un-bolt the machine and take it to them for the No BS guarantee. This has happened once in six years, they completely overhauled the machine and the charge was $0 dollars.
I shoot Cowboy Action and shoot about 10,000 rounds a year for pistol/revolver cartridges. This includes 38/.357, 44-40, 44S&W, 40 S&W & 45ACP.
I am partial to the Blue Machine, If Red is your choice I am sure they work quite well also. :wink:

I use a RCBS RockChucker for all rifle reloading.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Reliable to me means that the equipment is rugged and well made and has a low percentage of "breaking down."
I realize that a single stage reloader is simpler to use then a turret press, and would have less moving parts to "break," but I would like to not have to keep changing from one station to the other.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

First, welcome aboard!

Reliable can be dependent on your budget as well. I know many here who disagree, but i think the best overall value is the stuff from Lee Precision. Not the highest quality, nor the lowest, but among the best priced.

Everyone I know who has a Dillon swears by them - but they aren't cheap.

I agree with OI - for the beginning reloading, I would stay away from a Progressive press, and go with a single-stage unit. Even if you later move up to a turret or a progressive press, you'll keep the single stage - trust me, BTDT!

Good luck!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've been using an RCBS "Rock Chucker" for years and never a problem. It's slow as stated, because it's a single stage. But, they're tough and will do most all pistol and rifle. A Dillon square deal would be my first progressive if I ever actually buy a progressive machine. I've heard so many times about their no BS warranty and long life that I think it would have to be at the top of that list. At least for me.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have equipment by almost every maker of same out there and few that're outta business. None of it is shoddy or sloppy. But... I have my preferences. Dillon for my progressive loader, RCBS for my single stage, MEC for shotshell. Lyman for my casting equipment. Some of it was bought new, some bought used. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, and can personally attest to the veracity of the of Dillon "No BS" guarantee. I've called to get a plastic part I BROKE sent to me; they wouldn't hear of me paying for it; shipped it out the same day. I sent 'em $10 bucks to cover postage... they mailed it back, "no outstanding invoice". Same with RCBS. Can't bad-mouth any brand, just will happily tell you my experience with those two.

I've burned out two case cleaners, both vibratory in function, a Lyman & a Dillon. The Dillon was sent back and returned, completely rebuilt mechanicals, no charge; the Lyman is still in my shop, non-functional... someday I'll get around to ordering a new motor; now, mind ya... I ain't bad-mouthin' Lyman's tumbler... it was 30 years old when it gave up the ghost! I'd bought the Dillon back in '95 'cause I wanted a bigger one than the Lyman, still used the Lyman till about 5 years ago for small batches, or when I had two different case sizes I wanted to clean at the same time.

The biggest thing is learnin' to use the equipment you get and if assembly is required, follow the directions... I can also attest to Dillon's help desk, they'll just about assemble it thru the phone lines if you need that much help.

Enjoy yourself, and welcome to shootin's #2 hobby!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Ysabel Kid wrote:First, welcome aboard!

I agree with OI - for the beginning reloading, I would stay away from a Progressive press, and go with a single-stage unit. Even if you later move up to a turret or a progressive press, you'll keep the single stage - trust me, BTDT!

Good luck!
+1

I started with a RCBS single stage and have been very happy with it. The RockChucker kit has good equipment for a person just starting out. Buy many reloading books and read and re-read them.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Ysabel Kid wrote:First, welcome aboard!

Reliable can be dependent on your budget as well. I know many here who disagree, but i think the best overall value is the stuff from Lee Precision. Not the highest quality, nor the lowest, but among the best priced.

Everyone I know who has a Dillon swears by them - but they aren't cheap.

Good luck!
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

To start, I like the Redding Ultamag and a T-7 presses, RCBS universal hand priming tool, Redding powder measures, RCBS power trimmer, RCBS Case Master case prep center and an RCBS electronic powder dispenser with the RCBS electronic scale, assorted calipers and micrometers. Assorted dies not to be omitted. Great start. 1886
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I strongly recomend a good single stage press for the novice. Progressive presses should be avoided until a person is experenced and has a proven need for a progressive.

Any cast iron single stage press from a known maker will give many decades of trouble free service. My RCBS is an early 50's vintage and is good as new in terms of function.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Another vote for the Rock Chucker here.

Since you asked about Hornady, I haven't used one, but I checked out the Lock 'n load single stage and it seemed to compare favorably to a Rock Chucker. Maybe a little less beefy, but surely adequate.

Most of my experience with progressives is with the Dillon 550. It's a good machine, but it does require some disassembly & cleaning from time to time for smooth operation.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Lee Classic Turret...simple, strong, and inexpensive.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

samsi wrote:Another vote for the Rock Chucker here.
Same here - I run a pair of Rock Chuckers and us an RCBS "RS" press for specialized operations - like ram-priming or universal de-capping.

RCBS stands behind their product 100% and that's from personal experience. That said, there are certainly other companies that do the same, as I've had Lee replace parts for my broken hand-primer.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I use the Dillon 550 for all my pistol rounds and the Rock Chucker for rifle. They sit side by side on the reloading bench, and I wouldn't be without them! I also use a Lee Hand Press if I'm testing loads at the range.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

Start with a Lee anniversary kit. Everything you need, not expensive.

Then in a year's time, give the anniversary kit to a kid and buy what you want, you'll know by then what it is that you want.

Although many people who went this route stuck to the Lee in the end :-)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

+1 on the Lee Classic Turret - convenient, heavy duty and saves space in my apartment.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'm with Retro on this one, the Lee Anniversary is a good starter kit.
I've loaded about 3000 rounds of 357 on mine and the only thing I plan to upgrade at this time is the powder measure to one that accurately meters Unique powder, which Lees Perfect Powder Measure doesn't and they freely admit it doesn't in their manual.
If you start with a basic single stage press you can learn the entire reloading process one step at a time which makes it easier not to make mistakes.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

For a single stage press I recommend the Forster (Bonanza) CO-AX. By design it will produce very concentric rounds. I have used mine since the late '70's and loaded an untold number of rounds so I can vouch for reliability as well. It is more expensive than "O" or "C" presses, but well worth it in my opinion.
Unreconstructed
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I appreciate all of the advice everyone has given me.

I think that I WILL start with a single stage press and thoroughly learn how to reload that way, then go to a progressive.
I know RCBS's Rockchucker is upgradeable to a turret press, and so are a few others.
Once again, many thanks to all :)

UncleBuck

Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I'm just getting into loading my self. I've got the dies and the brass. I need a kit. I'm looking at the Lee single stage kit, and the RCBS Rockchuker kit. I'm alsop going to pick up a lee handloader as well for .45-70. Money is an issue for me right now so I need reliable, tuff, and inexpensive as possible. Good information here. Thanks.

8)
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I think the quality of RCBS is great. I´ve heard great things about Redding dies and Forster seaters!

But I recommend LEE! For a beginner there is no better way!

!!!

There is NO better case trim system in the whole world than Lee´s!

Fool proof!

Really fool proof!

And the priming system ( hand prime ) is just fine, and the concept of primers side-by-side instead of one under the other is simply correct, and the ( Carbide ) Factory Crimp die I don´t want to ever to be without one. In any caliber I load for!

And the dies? I suspect you have to have good rifles ( NOT LA´s, NOT Revolvers, NOT Pistols ) to detect any significant difference to other brands!

Just my .02 ... Hermann
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

tomclink,

Just went to the Forstner web site and their COAX press does appear to be very well made. I have not seen such detailed information on the press itself from any other manufacturers web site. :o
Thanks for the tip

UncleBuck

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Arminius,
Just went to the Lee web site and their case trimmer is definitely different.
Thanks for the info :o

UncleBuck

Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

UncleBuck wrote:Arminius,
Just went to the Lee web site and their case trimmer is definitely different.
Thanks for the info :o

UncleBuck
Thanks!

Do yourself a favour and buy Lee trim lenght gauge and shell holder and the ( Carbide ) factory crimp die in any caliber you load for!

The factory crimp die is especially useful for bullets without cannelure and for those thin walled cases: .44-40, .45-70, ...

No, I do not have stock or any interest in Lee. I only want them to sell their products as long as possible!

Hermann