Meet UGLY DUCK

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Meet UGLY DUCK

Post by rjohns94 »

Was cruising a new store today, taking good advantage of new 4day work week which leaves Mondays free of an hour commute each way, and I fell in love with an UGLY rifle that had to come home with me. No one else would surely buy such a rifle. Thought it would work as my new "truck rifle" as I don't really want to carry my WWG 45-70 in my truck all the time. This rifle has no safety, is in 30-30, serial number is in the 2,829,XXX range (1965?), and has a steel serrated butt plate. Wood is nicely refinished, no cracks or checks. Bore is pristine. And all the metal is treated to a military anti-rust treatment in green. This was done by an armorer for a specops team I used to be associated with. Its not a parkerized look but a teflon coated process that bonds the finish with the metal. This is very KEWL. Its green, making it rather ugly but rather appealing to me. Sling swivels were treated too and the williams sight came with it, the front post has a nice visible white bead on it. Went to the range on the way back to the house and it shoots factory ammo very well at 50 and 100 yards. It is my only 30-30, and the 2-3inch groups at 100 yards today made me a believer. So here is my new "truck gun":

Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Meet UGLY DUCK

Post by J Miller »

Hey Mike, there ain't nuthin wrong with that old 94. Just don't stand it up against a tree in the shadows and walk away from it .... you'll never find it again :)

joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Thats is pretty cool. Are you going to bring it to Texas with you?
Ricky

DWWC
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Commando Carbine!!

Cool!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I just may bring it. I was going to bring my sharps in 45-70, my Wild West Guns .457mag/45-70, and my double rifle in 30-06. What's one more. VBG.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - Thet white line spacer on the rear swivel stud's really ugly, and oughta go, fer sure !
The rest's a keeper, though. :wink: :P
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Oh, yeah, horribly disfigured. Just drop it by here on your way to (or from) Texas... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pete-driver
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pete-driver »

I love it. Now just strip the stock and refinish with an oil finish, something a bit dull and it will be perfect.John
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, saving the public from having to look at that "Ugly Duckling" in the store makes you a hero... of sorts! :twisted: Single shade camo... what'll the forward thinkers think of next! :lol: Solid ol' .30-30... at least it ain't a pre-64 someone treated! :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hobie, my travels will take us right through your stomping grounds on the 6th and 12th. I used to own property in Staunton Killed the number three black bear in virginia there too. You wanna hitch a ride down to texas?
Mike Johnson,

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Sounds to me like your Ugly Duck is in the process of shooting itself into being a Swan.

Congrats on the find.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I think a black synthetic stock would really go well with that metal finish. :) EBLAR! :twisted:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Is that grey-geen parkerize? If so - sand that verathane off the wood and give it a flat oil finish...

I thought I was going to be the first and only guy to own a parked lever w/oil rubbed wood. You go man - I think it ROCKS!
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike -

Nice of you to give it a second chance in life!!! :D
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

My personal preference would have been for a dark charcoal colored finish, but what the heck! A great gun made even better by better rust resistance!

Glad it found a loving home... :)

Tristan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ugly, my butt....it's wonderful!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

I think its fantastic, as a matter of fact I have one very similar in a dark silver robar finish. :D
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I think it's perfect! But then all lever guns are perfect to me. Some just need a little more elbow power than others.........................................MUTT
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Now That's my kinda' gun!!! 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Too kewl...name it HULK! :D

LeverBob
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

This old battleaxe also has a parkerized finish, but a beautifully re-done stock (including a very slim forend), but it's one that always hits what you shoot at, so 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...!'
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rjohns94 wrote:Hobie, my travels will take us right through your stomping grounds on the 6th and 12th. I used to own property in Staunton Killed the number three black bear in virginia there too. You wanna hitch a ride down to texas?
Can't go Mike. The familial responsibilities are still #1. Sure wish I could!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson