OT- Texas Cowboy reunion 1940. Pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Texas Cowboy reunion 1940. Pics

Post by rangerider7 »

I picked up this free admit card for the 1940 Texas Cowboy Reunion. I noticed it was signed by Swenson of the giant SMS ranch and it was for Frank and Anna Reeves. Frank was the photojournalist from Fort Worth, Texas. His many photos are in a special collection at Texas Tech, but what is also special is the persons that signed the back of the card. Chief Baldwin Parker and Kenneth Haag the grandson of Bigtree. Baldwin is the son of Chief Quanah Parker of the "Battle of Adobe Walls" fame. Hagg's grandfather Bigtree along with Satank and Santana were the leaders of the Kiowa in the "Salt Creek Massacre". I guess the 1940 reunion was some get together.

"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT- Texas Cowboy reunion 1940. Pics

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rangerider7 wrote: I guess the 1940 reunion was some get together.
I'll say! :shock:
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

That is neat - my mothers side of my family are Reeves (from Grey County) -- I'm guessing I'm related to Frank somehow.

Thanks for the pictures! (any chance you could send me the big version?)

Chad
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Rangerider7,You find some of the neatest stuff! Thanks for sharing the pics. :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like your stuff and the background. Wicked cool.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

This reunion was/is an annual event and continues to this day in Stamford Texas. Not that far from the Swenson, Pitchfork, 6666 and other ranches of note.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Charles, my father-in-law's dad was a old time cowboy that lived in Stamford for a time and attended the reunion often. I have been a few times before the grand-kids were born. Now we have them all down to my place for fireworks on the Fourth of July, so we don't go as often. Thanks!
"That'll Be The Day"
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Rangerider... I lived in Haskell about 20 miles north of Stamford and made the Reunion and Rodeo every year I was there. The Rodeo there is the oldest Rodeo in the United States. Lots of fun for all that enjoy the Cowboy life, both the working and drug store varieties.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

My dad's folks lived in and around Albany for several generations. He was 12 in 1940 so the family may have gone to this event - unfortunately, all those folks are gone now so I can't ask them...
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

fantastic! i certainly hope these will in some way be preserved and made available for fututre generations to enjoy, too.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's fascinating stuff. My great-grandfather, Champion Traylor, ranched at now-vanished Plemmons on the Canadian just a couple of miles from Adobe Walls, and knew Billy Dixon and Quanah Parker. He served at one time as a justice of the peace for Hutchinson County. He and my great-grandma were married in Buffalo Gap in the 1870s. Wouldn't it be something to hear a tape of the conversations and songs at that 1940 reunion?