Need help reloading .303 Savage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Need help reloading .303 Savage

Post by Win94 »

Fellas i have just aquired a Savage 99 with a 26" octagonal barrell circa 1907. Although, 5 boxes of ammo came with this rifle of the Dominion variety, i would like to know if a fella can firefirm or make brass from common calibers like the .30-.30 and the like. I about making from .220 swift and .30-.40 Krag but was wondering what other more common options might be???
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Need help reloading .303 Savage

Post by airedaleman »

The Krag case is about the only case you can use. See Nonte's recommendations.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
CJM
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CJM »

No really good choices except for factory brass. With the 30-40 Krag you are sizing the body down about .020", which will be difficult at the cartridge head and may prevent the brass from fully entering your rifles chamber.. Ken Howell recommends using 220 Swift brass and headspacing off of the shoulder, but the rim is undersized both in diameter and thickness and may give extraction problems.

Factory brass is listed at Huntingtons, but it's not cheap at $25 for 20 cases. Quality also lists 303 Savage brass, but it's even more expensive at $32 per 20 cases.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

If you don't care about keeping the ammo - sell it -- it will more than cover getting plenty of brass.

As for conversions -- I've heard of lots of people trying and never being real happy about them. From what I remember - the Krag case will work better than the 30-30.

You should search the 24hr campfire savage collectors forum - it is a frequent topic there (and there are a few members that will sell you new brass a little cheaper than you can find it elsewhere).

Chad
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Here's a piece of lore that I read about many years ago.There was a famous old bear hunter that wandered all over Appalachia and the North East. He carried a Sav. 99 which was originally a ,303Sav. Because he couldn't always find ammo wherever he'd pop out of the woods, he had the chamber fresh ed w/a 30-30 reamer and used either ctg as he could find them.
Again, "I read it somewhere."
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.