OT - Ship it or Fly with it.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

OT - Ship it or Fly with it.

Post by jkbrea »

I'm going back to Wyoming again to try to fill my elk tag. I'm flying this time but have never had to take a rifle on a flight. Should I ship it out to my friends ahead of time since I have a month before I leave or am I just being paranoid about airlines? I've travelled with handguns and that was a breeze because no one knows what's in the bag, but a rifle is different. Plus I know now some airlines charge for check-in baggage. Offhand, does anyone know about how much it is to ship a rifle?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Ship it or Fly with it.

Post by TedH »

Is it even legal to ship a rifle out of state to another individual for such purposes?

I flew with a rifle for the first time last month and it was no big deal. Much easier that I had thought before. I wouldn't hesitate to just take it with you. The airline I flew charged $25.00 for an extra checked bag, first one was free.
NRA Life Member
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

TedH wrote:Is it even legal to ship a rifle out of state to another individual for such purposes?

Actually he would be shipping it to him self in care of his friend and that is perfectly legal. If it were me I’d be sure it was fully insured and take it with me.

Dennis.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

TedH wrote:Is it even legal to ship a rifle out of state to another individual for such purposes?...
Unless the recepient address is an FFL/'Smith you have to ship it to yourself.

But shipping a long-arm to yourself, even by US Post, is totally legal.

As for Plane or Shipping? Neither. If the distance is under 24hrs drive time, I'd drive. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd drive, even from VA. Failing that, I'd ship it. Failing that I'd walk.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Really - even with the cost of petrol being what it is:

Calculate the Cost of the Drive: i.e.

Petrol, Hotel, Food, PITA Drivers - X2

If you get an Elk: Cost of Coolers & Ice

Then calculate the cost of Flying:

Cost of Airfare + PITA Drivers to SoCal Airport + PITA TSA Rectal Exam over the rifle (more if your gun case is contaminated with BP residue...) + Cost of Gun Insurance & Extra Baggage Fees - X2

If you get an Elk: Cost of Air Safe Coolers & Ice + $$$$$ Extra Baggage Fees.

Just Drive. Carry your own guns & Meat.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I figured it will be cheaper to fly. Gas alone would run me about 700-800 round trip. Flying is about $530, plus I'll save 30 hours of drive time which gives me an extra day to hunt. The friend I stay with will drive the meat home for me at Xmas when he comes out. (Assuming I get one :wink: ) Just made the drive last week. What surprised me is that diesel was actually more expensive in Wyoming than California. In 15 years of hunting there, this was a first. Was about 3.60 a gallon here and 3.96 there. Now it's 3.27 here. Strange considering I paid 5.19 in Bishop, CA during the summer.
Thanks for the advice.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Considering your time?

Better consider time driving to the airport, finding parking, getting checked in, time to fly, time to get baggage on the other end, find a rental car, and get out of the airport.

That's if the airline doesn't mess up and leave you sitting in the plane for Lord knows how long.

I live one hour's drive from either Orlando or Tampa airports. I can be standing on Hobie's front steps in 11 hours ( about 700 miles) if need be. That's about one good book on tape. Call me chicken but I'd really think long and hard about submitting to the indignities forced upon us by Homeland Security.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

I just recently flew out of, and into LAX with handguns and it went a lot smoother than I ever imagined.

When I got to the counter, I declared the handguns and asked what they wanted me to do. I was expecting a goon squad of tsa personnel to swoop down on me and inspect my weapons.

The person at the counter handed me a form and told me to fill it out, which I did. It basically said I promised that the weapons were unloaded and that I would keep them locked for the entire flight.

I signed it and the counter person asked me to open the case. I did so and they looked at the handguns but did not touch them or confirm that they were unloaded. They then directed me to the x-ray machine and said you are good to go. I took my case to the x-ray machine and stood there until my case had gone through the machine, and then went and had a cold beer to reassure myself that all was well. When I got to NE. I checked and everything was good to go.

I have to say that while I am pretty sure that this is standard procedure, I am in the military and that might have been a factor in transporting the weapons. I don't think so, because I was in civilian clothes and did not readily identify myself as military.

The way back was even smoother and the lady who inspected my case and the weapons even commenteed that she wished she had firearms as nice as these.

John
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rusty wrote:Considering your time?

Better consider time driving to the airport, finding parking, getting checked in, time to fly, time to get baggage on the other end, find a rental car, and get out of the airport.

That's if the airline doesn't mess up and leave you sitting in the plane for Lord knows how long.

I live one hour's drive from either Orlando or Tampa airports. I can be standing on Hobie's front steps in 11 hours ( about 700 miles) if need be. That's about one good book on tape. Call me chicken but I'd really think long and hard about submitting to the indignities forced upon us by Homeland Security.
We don't fly my wife home to FL because after travel to the airport and waiting on connections, etc. it takes us 2 hours longer to get there and costs more PLUS we'd have to rent a car to get around. Far easier to just drive down with all the stuff we want to take or bring back and without being crammed next to people we don't know who won't/can't converse with us. That doesn't take into account that we're defenseless if we fly and not if we drive. I've driven to WY before, I don't like to drive, and I'd still rather drive than fly. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who feels this way.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I quit flying too. I much prefer to drive. Only way I'd fly now is emergency of some kind or if I had my own plane... but it's easy for me, I love road trips. Armed road trips :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jfwlb wrote:I just recently flew out of, and into LAX with handguns and it went a lot smoother than I ever imagined.

When I got to the counter, I declared the handguns and asked what they wanted me to do. I was expecting a goon squad of tsa personnel to swoop down on me and inspect my weapons.

The person at the counter handed me a form and told me to fill it out, which I did. It basically said I promised that the weapons were unloaded and that I would keep them locked for the entire flight.

I signed it and the counter person asked me to open the case. I did so and they looked at the handguns but did not touch them or confirm that they were unloaded. They then directed me to the x-ray machine and said you are good to go. I took my case to the x-ray machine and stood there until my case had gone through the machine, and then went and had a cold beer to reassure myself that all was well. When I got to NE. I checked and everything was good to go.

I have to say that while I am pretty sure that this is standard procedure, I am in the military and that might have been a factor in transporting the weapons. I don't think so, because I was in civilian clothes and did not readily identify myself as military.

The way back was even smoother and the lady who inspected my case and the weapons even commenteed that she wished she had firearms as nice as these.

John
Everyone can tell if you're military or not. Many times I was asked directly as if to confirm a suspicion and everything was smooth from then on. I have been asked to show ID a couple of times, again, smooth sailing after.
Sincerely,

Hobie

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I drove to texas from Pa for the hunt in August. I would drive it again but that is about as far as I would drive. 20-22 hours is enough each way. I would not put my sharps on a plane, but would certainly take the WWG on a plane. The kevlar stocks would be tough to hurt. I drove to Texas because I did not want the Sharps to be shipped or handled via the gorillas at USPS, any Airlines, Fedex. The sharps is a two year wait or more to replace so that is why it gets a little special consideration. Besides, I like my company a lot more than I do a plane full of people. :D Having my brother along on the trip was an added bonus.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I would just check it with you on the plane. I suggest getting a hard golf club case and then packing your rifle in that. Put your ammo in a plastic case or just use the factory box and put that in your luggage. Check with the airline ahead of time for their particular requirements. Just declare the firearm as you check in - just like your handgun.

I've traveled with mine like that and it worked out great - and the golf club case is actually better protection than most gun cases.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

I'm a million-miler flier and it is a piece of cake if you simply follow the TSA guidelines. Time is valuable to me so I try to fly whenever possible -- except around Thanksgiving and Christmas when airports should be avoided as much as possible. Another method of carrying a long gun is to put your hardside gun case inside a large snowboard bag. The snowboard bag is padded and that helps to keep your hardside case from getting scuffed up.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

You know Hobie, you are probably right.

I try to keep a low profile when I fly, but on that particular trip I used a military style gun case and very military type locks(my first LAX flight with firearms).

My haircut and military bearing probably didn't help much.

It is funny as I was very concerned with the LAX policies and had a friend of mine who is with the LAX PD on speed dial just in case. I was very happy that I did not have to call him.

John
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

FWIW anyone traveling on I-77 through Virginia I have a tip for you. At exit 14 in Hillsville, Va there is a Comfort Inn. I stayed there recently and I have to say it was one of the nicest motels I've stayed in ( in that price range) ever. There is a nice young lady on the front desk named Stephanie who is an angel. When I was on my return trip she booked me direct at a very special rate. The beds are like feather beds, and the towels in the rooms are soft. In fact they were softer than the way my wife does them here at home. I couldn't believe it. I'll be sure to make that my half way point any time I'm near there.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

A friend and I were discussing that recently about homeland security and what they did to a rifle case and luggage of a hunter.The owner opened his rifle case for inspection when he was booking in & gave them a key to check his rifle case but instead of using the key they broke off the hinges to open the case & confiscated his ammo because it wasn't in a factory logoed pkg then they forced open his luggage checking all of his personal clothing items and threw them in it & closed it up.My friend said insure & send everything thru FedEx or UPS.We've shipped clothing via UPS rather than put it in with our luggage.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I was just getting my head wrapped aropund the idea of flying with guns when a friend sent me pictures of his original wheelock rifle and flint pistol after arriving back East on a trip. He had a really nice aluminum gun case that you could lay across two chairs and stand on, and still not bend it or damage it.
Somehow the gorillas at the airlines figured out how to bend the case in a 90 degree shape towards one end! And somehow my friend must live right, as when the case was opened, the bend was right between the muzzle of the rifle, and the butt of the pistol! Neither gun had even a scratch, but he had to buy a new case for the trip home!
After that, I don't think I'll ever fly with any gun I can't bear to lose!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/