"From Where the Sun Now Stands"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

"From Where the Sun Now Stands"

Post by MistWolf »

Just got through reading a novel titled "From Where the Sun Now Stands". It's written from the Nez Perce point of view and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Written by Will Henry, it seems to be well researched. A good read, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't had the pleasure yet. This story would make a terrific movie

I'm thinking of looking up other books Will Henry has written
I am American
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "From Where the Sun Now Stands"

Post by mescalero1 »

Thanks,
I will get it
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

mescalero1 wrote:Thanks,
I will get it
+1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

I read it about a month ago. You're right, it is a good read.
By the way, it has been made into a movie. "I Will Fight No More Forever". Made around 1975.

aussie.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Some great folks right there. It is worth at least a read.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Both of those titles are from a speech by Nez Perce chief Joseph aka Rolling Thunder in the Hills
I found him to be very inspirational, quite a person.
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

mescalero1 wrote:Both of those titles are from a speech by Nez Perce chief Joseph aka Rolling Thunder in the Hills
I found him to be very inspirational, quite a person.
Yes, when he surrendered he said "From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

What I really liked about the novel was how the character would say "that is white man history. Indian history remembers it like this"
I am American
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That was what I was trying to convey in a previous post where a simular topic was discussed, the indian oral history remembers it differently from the written history.
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

It's unfortunate that many historians of the period rejected Indian history because it was oral, not written. Historians didn't bother to record oral histories of peoples throughout the world because it wasn't written and therefore "hearsay". As a result, much has been lost
I am American
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

If you are interested in the history of the American Indian, have a read of "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown. Puts a whole new slant on the way the West was won.

aussie.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

MistWolf wrote:It's unfortunate that many historians of the period rejected Indian history because it was oral, not written. Historians didn't bother to record oral histories of peoples throughout the world because it wasn't written and therefore "hearsay". As a result, much has been lost
So true.

On the other hand, sometimes oral histories can drift a bit in societies with written language. A lot of families have such oral histories of the particular family. Because there is also a written record you can document the "drift". However, it is amazing how much is absolutely right on. It has helped me run down a lot of genealogy when I had no other clues. Also interesting is how TV (NOT radio) has denigrated these stories. The younger generation is more likely to have partial or distorted memory while their parents are pretty accurate.

I didn't mean to add drift to this topic. I always found the Nez Pearce story very compelling.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

What an interesting coincidence. Last night I was teaching a specialty class at school, American Indian History.
I covered the Nez Perce story with the gang and showed them a fairly respectable video which A&E did a while back.
It was that series "The Real West" which ran on the History Channel, hosted by Kenny Rogers.

Sometimes those shows are awful, full of inaccuracies, if not outright falsehoods. This one was amazingly balanced,
and told the story from both sides, with lots of film of the country where The Nez Perce War took place. Joseph got sooooooo close to Canada, but the run ended 40 miles south of the border. Sitting Bull of the Hunkpapa Lakotas was up there, and Joseph hoped that his people could do the same. They (the Indians) used to call Canada "Grandmother's Land" due to Queen Victoria, and her willingness to let American Indian tribes seek refuge there.

You all are right. This is one of the most dramatic and tragic stories of those times. I wish our kids all learned more about those times. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

When you go into the Cowboy Hall of Fame in OK City, there are the names carved in stone of "Great Westerner" and among them are Chief Joseph of the Nez Pierce and Crazy Horse of the Lakota people. Both were remarkable men by any standard you choose to measure men.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When I was just a kid, I read a book about Mangus Colorado (Red Sleeve).
It got me interested in American Indian History,especially the tribes from the South West.
I have forgotten who wrote that book but I never pass a second hand book store without looking for a copy.
I have a great book titled "The People Called Apache" by Thomas E. Mails, the first thing I read in it at the store, was "an Apache never speaks or looks at his mother-in law" I thought I just have to have this book! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

or pregnant women