Remove rear sight on Browning 71?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Remove rear sight on Browning 71?

Post by Henry McCann »

I have a Browning 71 and want to remove the rear sight, as I'm adding a Williams FP. I thought the sight slid out to the right as you're looking down the barrel to the front sight. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remove rear sight on Browning 71?

Post by BigSky56 »

Yes , If you mounted the rifle as if to shoot they go in and out on the right side. danny
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Danny,

Thanks much...it just must be a little tighter than I thought.
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

You may have to give it a pretty good whack with a brass punch and hammer. I have a few that were real tight but they eventually let go. Good Luck. 1886.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's sometimes helpful if you squirt a little penetrating oil into the sight dovetail and let it "soak in" for a bit, before tapping the sight out.

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

ED
Yer never too old
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Sounds like a brass punch is needed. I was using a small piece of oak and a hammer, so as to not mar the sight or barrel, but it wasn't strong enough. It broke and I ended up putting a tiny ding in the barrel. Who said I was bright?

Thanks to all who have responded...I will put your good advice to use tonight and let you know.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

As someone else on here advised, a small piece of leather between the sight and the barrel will keep it from scratching as it slides across.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

What size dovetail blank does it take? 3/8 inch?
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Remove rear sight on Browning 71?It's off!

Post by Henry McCann »

Good news! I bought a brass punch and it worked like a charm. The right tool as suggested by your posts worked great.

Last Spike,

I'm not sure what size dovetail blank it needs? I didn't measure the sight when I took it off last night.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The standard 3/8". Some will be a bit snug, others not quite so. File on the blank NOT on the dovetail (sorry, but there are lurkers reading this post who would have tried the other... ).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Thanks Hobie...I will/would have filed on the blank, but then I dimpled my barrel trying to use a piece of oak instead of a brass punch, so who knows? :D
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

PM sent