I got laid off three weeks ago tomorrow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

I got laid off three weeks ago tomorrow

Post by pharmseller »

The pharmaceutical industry is very dynamic. Sometimes that's a good thing, as companies expand to meet new needs. Sometimes not, as companies contract due to lower revenues.
On 30 November I got THE phone call. We downsized and, with deep regret, my company had no place for me. Hey, it was a good six years and I was fully vested in my pension plan. I had seen this coming for a few months so I was financially and emotionally prepared.
The package, which they have no legal obligation to give me, is VERY generous. I am grateful.
In addition, I got EXTREMELY lucky and found a job almost immediately. This means I will pocket the severance AND begin a new job. Prior to this I was unfamiliar with the concept of "double-dipping."
I start my new job on 2 January. My salary is not quite as much but I will probably make more money due to a better bonus structure.
All in all, no complaints. God has been very good to me and mine.
The lesson? BE PREPARED. No job is guaranteed. Take care of your finances and your resume. Work hard for your company but do not be blind to the realities of business. Change is inevitable.

Merry Christmas!

Quinn
Last edited by pharmseller on Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Glad to see you landed on your feet! Being prepared is what it is all about. In my career, it seems that sales folk are more prepared than many others.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

sound advice

Post by rjohns94 »

Quinn, I am glad it worked out for you. Your advice is sound. It is a shame that all too often, many get caught unprepared for a layoff. I am glad you were;
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Congrats on the new job. I am leaving my county job of 12 years and am going to be a gun shop manager / gunsmith. I will be taking a month of vacation with the county and working full time for the gun shop. I'll be double dipping for about a month. That will be about $1000 extra that month. It sure is nice to have a little bit of extra income.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well I am glad that you were prepared and got a new job so quickly. Just goes to show you should hope for the best but always plan for the worst.

Merry Cristmass to you as well Sir
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Quinn -

The company I work for has gone through a few of these cycles. Just 2 weeks ago they announced cutting 1,000 jobs and shutting down 5 plant sites. Glad to hear you were prepared, and have landed on your feet. I had this happen to a close friend about a decade ago, and he had a similar situation - got a job relatively quick, and put the severance package into his kid's college fund. Given the size of the package (a year's salary - they don't do that any longer), how young his kids were, and how fast he found a new job, he instantly paid for their education! Sometimes the change ends up being for the best!

Good luck! :D
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Quinn-
What a great post. Really nice to read such positive thoughts, especially this time of the year, I salute you. With an attitude like this no question you will do well and be happy. Nice. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Quinn, great post and am happy you llanded another job right away.. somehow, i believe you are the kind of guy who will always do that! anywaY, CONGRATULATIONS!
cable
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well then, a xmas vacation in effect. I have again this year decided not to fire myself or lay myself off. That makes 30 straight years I have made this decision. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

you're supposed to get laid off before deer season, not after :?

Glad you landed on your feet.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Quinn,
I'm happy that something bad turned out so well for you! Good luck in he new job!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Good for your Quinn...glad you made the transition smoothly.

Such is not the case for people like me. I'm a business owner. 3 in fact.
I lost 3 bids for contracts in this month alone. worth $120,000. This put me and my people is survival mode. Your prayers are solicted.

I wish to all My family a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. G-D Bless.

LeverBob
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Good luck! When this happened to me it was for the better. :wink:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hey, that company name didn't begin with "A" did it? One of my larger customers. The have "released" one way or another, almost 1000 people.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Well, looks like someone has a bigger gun budget :P . Congrats on everthing working out.
Molon Labe
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

let go at work

Post by brucew44guns »

Quinn, I used to live 8 miles from you there in beautiful Oregon, was let go at my job, and wound up moving to Kansas. I'm glad you didn't have to report something like that happening to you! But I'm blessed too as a result, just retired in fair shape after so much turmoil in the late 80's in my life. Things work out, if you work. Good luck. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Such troubles I should have...

Good for you Quinn.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!