O.T. - "Deadman's Hand's" fifth card?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

O.T. - "Deadman's Hand's" fifth card?

Post by Naphtali »

This has bugged me for decades. Wild Bill Hickock was murdered while playing poker. His hand was two pair, aces and eights, the identity of which is known. What was the fifth card?

In motion pictures depicting the event, the card's identification has been picked out of the ether of the screenwriter's imagination.

I have attempted to locate Deadwood newspaper accounts that included the information. Apparently, the fifth card was not noticed. I attempted to locate accounts of the shooting by people who were there -- Bupkes!

Anyone have facts rather than guesses?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: O.T. - "Deadman's Hand's" fifth card?

Post by Buck Elliott »

Hate to tell you, but you know as much about that 5th card as any man living... which is really nothing.

Time to move on and worry about more important stuff...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

How do we even know that he was dealt the last card? Consider, if you will, that the game was interrupted. I suspect that since this was such an important event that even the cards were recorded in history, this is what happened - the fifth card would have been recorded, had there been one. Wikipedia throws out this suggestion, as well -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man's_hand
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I always thought it was a full house...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Purportedly it was a 3 and 2 mix of aces and eights, known as a full house. The full house with aces and eights is known as a dead man's hand as it was supposedly what Mr. Hickock was holding. The trial of his murderer brought out the fact that Mr. Hickock was going blind from glaucoma, as testified to by an Army Surgeon. The murderer's defense that Hickock saw him in a reflection off of a glass and was turning to shoot was soundly defeated, and the verdict was guilty. They supposedly had argued sometime in the past, and the murderer thought he was to be killed. Thanks to the the Army Surgeon, we know the truth. I believe it was author Loren D. Estleman who wrote a very comprehensive book on the subject.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Everyone that I have played poker with for the last 45 years has always referred a full house of 3 aces & 2 eights as the "deadman's hand". I never knew the supposed reason for it until about 10 years after starting to play poker. For some reason in a lot of the late and all night card games I used to play in, aces and eights was a common wild card combination to call. Some of the games i used to play were every bit and more intense than TV and movie poker games.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Boy,
That conjers up an interesting story!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

piller wrote:Purportedly it was a 3 and 2 mix of aces and eights, known as a full house. The full house with aces and eights is known as a dead man's hand as it was supposedly what Mr. Hickock was holding. The trial of his murderer brought out the fact that Mr. Hickock was going blind from glaucoma, as testified to by an Army Surgeon. The murderer's defense that Hickock saw him in a reflection off of a glass and was turning to shoot was soundly defeated, and the verdict was guilty. They supposedly had argued sometime in the past, and the murderer thought he was to be killed. Thanks to the the Army Surgeon, we know the truth. I believe it was author Loren D. Estleman who wrote a very comprehensive book on the subject.
I have a copy of "The Gun Digest Book Of Single Action Revolvers", by Jack Lewis. He says it was John Selman shooting John Wesley Hardin because Selman thought Hardin saw him in the mirror. Lewis also says that the "Deadman's Hand" is: "ace of spades, ace of clubs, two black eights, and the jack of diamonds". The "special fact", if you will, of Hickock's death is that it was the first time he sat with his back to the door of the room.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Which aces, and which eights?

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The fifth card has always been a talking point and we will probably never know what it was. One theory and probably a good one to explain where the full house suggestion came from, is the one that says he had already discarded the fifth and was waiting for an ace or eight to make up the full house. The dead mans hand has always been recognised as two pair, aces and eights in clubs and spades.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

gundownunder wrote:The fifth card has always been a talking point and we will probably never know what it was. One theory and probably a good one to explain where the full house suggestion came from, is the one that says he had already discarded the fifth and was waiting for an ace or eight to make up the full house. The dead mans hand has always been recognised as two pair, aces and eights in clubs and spades.
+1
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

gundownunder wrote:The fifth card has always been a talking point and we will probably never know what it was. One theory and probably a good one to explain where the full house suggestion came from, is the one that says he had already discarded the fifth and was waiting for an ace or eight to make up the full house. The dead mans hand has always been recognised as two pair, aces and eights in clubs and spades.
So... there, in fact, was no "fifth card?"

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

piller wrote:Purportedly it was a 3 and 2 mix of aces and eights, known as a full house. The full house with aces and eights is known as a dead man's hand as it was supposedly what Mr. Hickock was holding. The trial of his murderer brought out the fact that Mr. Hickock was going blind from glaucoma, as testified to by an Army Surgeon. The murderer's defense that Hickock saw him in a reflection off of a glass and was turning to shoot was soundly defeated, and the verdict was guilty. They supposedly had argued sometime in the past, and the murderer thought he was to be killed. Thanks to the the Army Surgeon, we know the truth. I believe it was author Loren D. Estleman who wrote a very comprehensive book on the subject.
I was always under the impression that Hickok was going blind due to syphilis rather than glaucoma.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

the aces and eights were all black. legend has it that he was mucking a single card when he was shot. Aces and Eights is a two pair hand, not a full house. Certainly possible that it has morphed over the years in amateur circles to be aces full of eights, but his hand was all black, aces and eights, not full of eights.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wikipedia has a couple of other versions.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Like I said.................
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Buck, you're still here with the rest of us so... I guess it really wasn't time to move on.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sometimes, I let idle curiosity get the better of me...
Regards

Buck

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah Buck - like the rest of us :) a man after my own heart. Maybe the answers are in the back of the book upstairs.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think the last 5 page version of this topic it was pretty much the same answer (i.e. nobody KNOWS)... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Is there a tactful, non-offensive way to say: This blows?
I'm thinking, perhaps, a seance or two might resolve my question.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson