marlin 45 colt loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
txpete
Departed Friend

marlin 45 colt loads

Post by txpete »

picked up a marlin in 45 colt today.can the marlin 94 action handle 45 ruger only loads??.I have heard yes and no ???
thanks
pete
DAV life member.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Re: marlin 45 colt loads

Post by Buffboy »

Yes. If you stay with "Ruger only" loads or less from your manual the gun will be fine.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes it can. However stay to the book level Ruger - T/C loads. Some of those on the 'net are ... how to say ummmm ridiculous.

Check and double check with tested data and you'll be fine.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Yes. Google John Linebaugh.45 Colt) for a great tutorial. Stick with his loads for "Stock rugers" (not his conversions) and ya will absolutely be fine. I've run boatloads of em through my Marlins with ZERO issues.

For a treat, 21.5 grains H110 and a 250gr XTP is nice, or the same charge with a 300gr Lee GC bullet cast hard.
Certified gun nut
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Many manuals feature .45 Colt rifle loads. Often times they will use a Win.94 or Marlin 94 as the test rifle. These will be fine. I can not comment on the Contender loads as I have no experience with that arm. Regards, 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

yes they will.
I have a Puma 92 in 45 colt and can easily exchange Ruger type handloads from the Blackhawk to the rifle with ease.

I hope you enjoy that Marlin...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

1886 wrote:Many manuals feature .45 Colt rifle loads. Often times they will use a Win.94 or Marlin 94 as the test rifle. These will fine. I can not comment on the Contender loads as I have no experience with that arm. Regards, 1886.
The Contender will handle the Ruger level loads. These are very like the .44 Mag in pressures and breech thrust. HOWEVER, every gun is different and it is very important that you work up. My .44 mag barrel can seat heavy bullets waaaay out due to the long throat but still has to back off the top loads by .5 gr.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

txpete wrote:Image

That's a little bulldog isn't it? :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I guess we will find out hobbie :lol: .I got asked yesterday if I was going to shoot it :lol: :lol: :lol: the brass is in the tumbler :D .
pete
DAV life member.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

21 Grns, W296 and 300 Gr. XTP or Cast performance WNFP gas check was a tack driver out of the one I had.

I sold mine recently. Great little carbine!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

2ndovc wrote:21 Grns, W296 and 300 Gr. XTP or Cast performance WNFP gas check was a tack driver out of the one I had.

I sold mine recently. Great little carbine!!

jb 8)
we need to talk :D .do you still have your notes???.
pete
DAV life member.
alukban
Levergunner

Post by alukban »

Hey txpete, I just got the exact same gun and am picking it up tomorrow :)

From what I've been reading, you can easily get between 30% to 40% more velocity from the 16" barrel compared to a Ruger revolver.

I plan on using RCBS 45-270-SAA on top of 25 gr of H110 as my hunting load (should be doing about 1800 fps) and the same bullet on top of 10 gr of Unique for playing. I also plan on trying 250 gr RNFP Laser-Cast on top of 5 gr of Unique (guessing about 680 fps) for squirrels... :)

I have only 4 modifications that I plan to make, in this order:
1) grind of red band from the cross bolt safety
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_no ... tes.htm/52

2) proactively radius the sharp edge from the lever which contacts the lifter at its high point
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html

3) sight in with the factory rear leaf for @25y and then add a rear tang peep sight (I'm partial to Lyman for some reason - already have one on my 39A - plus I am in Connecticut, after all) using the rear blade as the intial guide

4) after the tang peep sight in, replace the factory rear leaf with a folding Lyman #16 leaf - this time using the peep to guide the folding leaf

I'll share pics tomorrow! This thread here may also be of interest to you:
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts ... 20097&PN=1

Sincerely,
Andrew :)
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I wonder if there's not a danger of getting such a heavy bullet as a 250 stuck, moving at such low speed (500fps) thru a rifle barrel ? Why would you use a 250 on a squirrel anyway? Seems like a much lighter one would be more appropriate. Some of the CAS stuff is down to 160grs in .45 I hear. Wouldn't one of those or a little heavier work better? Just curious, jd45
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

i can and I have used 200s at 500 or so in the SHORT .45 cases out of a RIFLE.

I have also used 120gr hollow base bullets in .45 (think overgrown airgun pellet) at not over 600 fps from a rifle, with accuracy enough to put em all in one hole at 25 yards (squirrel range).
see cowboy45special.com

the issue with LONG colt is too much case capacity. A modest load of Bullseye with a filler wad to reduce that capacity can SAFELY slow down even a 250 to around 500 fps, but ya don't need that much lead.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I must humbly be contrary .... The issue is people making the .45 Colt into something it's not.
It's not a gamester cartridge.
It's not a mouse phart cartridge.
It's not a light recoiling pip squeek cartridge.

It IS a darn good standard pressure service / delf defense / hunting cartridge, and in certain guns it shines when boosted to modern performance levels.

Those who insist on downloading it to ridiculously light levels so they can compete with it are the problem.

With all due respect to adirondakjack who found his own solution to the situation.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Way to put things in perspective Joe! Thanx, jd45
alukban
Levergunner

Post by alukban »

Hey txpete, I thought for sure that you had seen this from leverguns.com itself but I posted it here for you anyway.

Taffin article:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/1894trapper.htm

Paco's article (he uses a Marlin 1894S):
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm
alukban
Levergunner

Post by alukban »

Here's mine that I picked up today - Marlin 1894-OHIO #32 out of 250 :mrgreen:

The load is my standard Ruger load of Laser-Cast 250 gr RNFP on top of 9.6 gr of Unique. This is 5 shots, standing-offhand, indoors at the max of only 50 ft. I only shot 30 rounds and these are the last 5 after sighting in. Let's see, take the best 4 out of 5 shots and then subtracting the caliber gives us about 1" at 50 ft with the factory folding leaf sight. That's kinda about 4 MOA so it's good enough for me...

PS. This thing has really great wood!
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I wonder why nobody has mentioned Paco's article yet: http://leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

Let me add that the Marlin is capable of as much or more power than you would ever need. And with those loads, when you pull the trigger there will be no question in your mind if it went off or not.