Deer hunting success and dissappointment

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Deer hunting success and dissappointment

Post by Slick13 »

This is my fourth year hunting. First two years I didn't shoot a deer, and last year I got a doe with my .25-35. This year I made plans to get a doe tag for the management unit I live in, plus one further south where a friend of mine's father has a farm. Expecting longer range shots there, I picked up a new Savage 114 in .30-06 and split time between it and my Model 94 .30-30.

Spent the first week hunting at home. First day I passed up oppurtunities, and was in the wrong place at the wrong time for deer I would have taken. Last Wednesday I went hunting with friends and had a doe comes running across a field not 60 yards away from us. I let the two women I was with take the shot, and they both missed as it made it into the woods. Saturday I hunting at my friend's dad's farm, and got a nice 140 lb 8 point early in the morning. About 7:15 AM a buck came struggling by the camper (converted to a shooting blind) we were in, obviously hurt in one of the front legs. My friend's dad was hollaring for me to shoot but I couldn't tell if it was legal (need 4 points on one side in our corner of the state), and I didn't want my first buck to be illegal or rotten. He reminded me afterwards that if the meat was ruined the animal would have been disposed of, and if the meat was fine but the buck wasn't legal, he could have put one of his farm tags on it. "Next one that comes by, shoot or get outta the way". About 15 minutes later two deer come out of the woods, one a buck, the other looked like a doe. I got into position, but was hesitating because I wasn't sure it was legal. It started moving and again the father says "Shoot!" The trapshooter in me took over, I slapped the trigger and down it went like a ton of lead. Again he's hollaring "Shoot!" and I look at the doe and see it's really a buck. I say "It's not legal" (and it wasn't), and we let it go. He didn't see me drop the first deer, and assumed I had missed and that the second one was the actually the first one getting away.

Tagged it, gutted it, and took it back the barn to skin. Shot was at about 100 yards with the deer trotting. Found I hit it high and to the left of where I was aiming. Hit both lungs, and completely removed two inches of spine. A couple inches higher, and I'd have missed it. Not happy with the shot I made, but a nice first buck. Was taken with the .30-06, using a 165 gr. Game King. Didn't see any deer the remainder of the day.

Went hunting Monday after work on my sportsman's clubs grounds. A friend was set up and I was going to see if I could push anything into him. Parked at the end of the rifle range, went a little way down the road, and started to turn into the woods. Step into the ditch and not 10 yards from me up jumps a doe. I'm starting to put the .30-30 up and the thought comes to mind "You're too close to the road! Dammit!" Put the gun down and up come two more doe outta the brush. They took off and I couldn't catch them. That friend I was driving for finally got a doe Tuesday night. He shot it through the heart with a .270 loaded with 130 gr. Game Kings. Shot it through the heart from the left side and the bullet lodged in the right front shoulder. Made a massive entry wound where it hit the ribs. Expanded big time,and recovered weight was 86 grains.

Went out last night and filled my doe tag for the local WMU. Was standing in a blind at about 4:45 PM. Watched two doe come across a road to my right and come into the field I was watching. Watched them for about five minutes hoping they'd get closer. Light was running out and I decided I would shoot. Got into a nice steady rest using the edge of the blind. Had the scope at 9 power, and could see the entire deer in my scope. That should have given me warning. Put the crosshairs were I wanted it to hit, and pulled the trigger. Deer jumped, and both ran into the short brush in the field next to the one I'd shot in. Thought I'd hit it, but was starting to have doubts. Topped off the gun and went down to where they'd been standing when I'd shot to look for blood. Didn't measure it off, but the shoot was at least 200 yards, well beyond the furthest I've ever shot. Couldn't find any blood, and I look over into the next field and see the deer in it's death throws. Must have ran about 75 yards after getting hit. Waited for it to settle down and die, then approached it. Then I saw how small it was. :oops: Was a first year fawn, 70 lbs at the most. I cursed myself up and down. It wasn't as broadside to me as I'd thought, the bullet went in right were I was aiming, behind the left front leg but it came out on the back edge of the ribs on the right side through the guts. It was fairly dark when we dressed it, but the buddy with me said I destroyed the left lung and probably just missed the heart. I felt like a real jerk for shooting a deer that small, but he said they taste good, and if it had made it into the woods where he was sitting with his wife, he'd have had her shoot it.

I've still got a doe tag for the WMU where I got the buck, but don't think I'll bother going back there this Saturday. I was so upset with myself after shooting that doe last night, I cleaned the gun up and put it away for the season.

So, to finish, I was pleased with the buck, but dissappointed with the shot I made. I'm ashamed of the doe, but pleased with the shot I made. I've but three shots through the 114 directed at game, and I've helped my buddy finish off his black bear and killed two deer. Guess the gun was a good investment. Don't have any photos of the buck. Will post them when I can.

~Michael
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Deer hunting success and dissappointment

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like a good investment. I haven't made it hunting the last three years and it's good to read someone else's exploits. Makes me feel like I'm there. Thansk for the post.
Old Law Dawg
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Don't fret about shooting a smallish deer, everyone has probably been there at one time or another. The important thing is that you made a good shot and an ethical kill. Nothing will turn your stomach and make you feel rotten like knowing you made a bad shot on an animal and then not being able to recover it. I've done it twice in the 20 years I've been hunting and it's a rotten feeling.

That young deer will be absolutely divine on the palate.

:mrgreen:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Go back out. Don't shoot another little one. Take a little longer on your spotting. I appreciate the fact you care that you made a bad hit. It shows you are a caring man. Go back out. It's OK. It's not like it makes any difference to the next deer you harvest whether you hunt again this season or next. You need to stock that freezer. You might have friends or family that need the meat to suvive this next year.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mancuso
Levergunner

Post by mancuso »

I wish more guys would shoot a small doe for the table and let the small rack bucks go. Around my property we purposely shoot a fawn or two for the table if we can. I like to roast a whole leg on the grill and nothing is more tender or tasty than a 7mo old deer hind quarter. Remember you are not out there to make friends, you went to the woods during deer season and killed a legal deer. That is why you were there. I have never apologized or felt bad for killing any deer.

Good hunting.
Vince.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I don't see where you went wrong friend :D
We all can get stressed hunting sometimes and it robs some of the pleasure, sometimes it can make us do things we would not normally do.
Why not just go out again but refuse to get frustrated. You could come back smiling to your self knowing that you could of taken another but chose not to because , well you just chose not to and that is your privledge.
Chill out friend, you have meat from the work of your own hands :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Tycer wrote:You need to stock that freezer. You might have friends or family that need the meat to suvive this next year.
You make a very good point. Who knows what this year will bring.

I was just PO'd at myself for not recognizing the size of the animal, and shooting one that small. I know there's nothing technically wrong with it, but I'd much rather take an older deer and let the younger one's grow.

Lesson learned when it comes to using a scoped rifle (the 114 is my first scoped firearm). I should have realized when I cranked that scope up to 9 because at 5 they weren't very big, it's because they weren't very big!

~Michael
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I think we have all shot a little deer we thought was bigger or made a shot that didn't do exactly right. Young deer are the best eating and it is just as well to shoot them as any other deer. Don't beat yourself up.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Folks here where I live including me shoot everything with fur on it. Its all meat and we have more deer than one can count. I don't see the problem unless your wanting a trophy.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Heck, man, I shot an almost identical deer on Friday morning. What's more, I did it on purpose. Nothing wrong with small deer. When I shoot small deer, it's due to several reasons:

1. I like to eat them.
2. It's the only one around at the time.
3. My freezer has limited room.

and, most important of all:

4. It was there, and I was there.

Judging the size of deer is definitely a skill that has to be honed over time. At one time, I spray painted yardsticks with hi-viz orange and planted a couple at certain known ranges in my field of fire so I could estimate an animal's height. That worked pretty well. Now, being less industrious, I just pay attention to how long the face is. I think that's the easiest way to discern an older deer. Now, if you get a swayback and a long snout, you know it's a big ol' deer.

You did fine.

Scott
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

You got nothing to be ashamed about with that doe. I've shot a bunch of deer in that size range both on purpose and by accident. The first deer I got this year was a buck of the same vintage. I did, basicly, what you did. I thought it was a big doe standing at 250 yards, it was 200 yards, and a yearling buck. It was a little bigger than yours because it was a mule deer(maybe 100# on the hoof). The only shame I feel is for missing my range estimation and that's not hard to live with because judging range is tough even in perfect conditions. Lord knows I ain't perfect by a long stretch and so do I. I'd have preferred a big doe for my antlerless tag but he sure is good eating and there's been years I didn't even get that.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Dont worry, if you keep hunting, I doubt it will be the last small deer that you kill. LAST year was my bad season. This year has been better, I did take a shot at a nice buck and missed with my bow, but my daughter bagged a nice doe this year. It was her first year hunting!

Best way to judge is to look at their head. The young ones will have a short nose. But if it makes you feel anybetter, those young ones eat really good!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

You need to get back out and take another if you have the tag and the time. Most of us have shot smaller deer on occasion, and made a less than satisfying shot too. It's just that much better when you take the next deer with a good shot on a nice sized deer.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

......no shame in killing a young or small deer. I have been on the other side this. It was a doe
but a big 'ol nasty one that was estimated at 7 1/2 or 8 1/2 years old by the DNR at their check station.
I would trade that deer for a small or young one any day. It took all day long in a crock pot to make that
venison palatable. In retrospect, that venison should have been turned into sausage. :shock:

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
farmer44mag
Levergunner

Post by farmer44mag »

yeah man, where i hunt we shoot whatever we see cuz it might be all we see- and as others have said- the young ones are the best eating.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

What I hate worse then shooting a small doe is shooting a nubin buck, by accident for a doe. It's very easy to do if one doesn't look close. The short nose is often a give away, but it's still happened to me, a few time over the years, usually when I rush to take advantage of a fleeting opportuity.

Don't fret about, even experienced hunters will sometimes do it, by accident, as well as on purpose.
NRA Life Member, Patron