1873 winchester question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

1873 winchester question

Post by Little Doc »

shot a cas match with a guy who was shooting a uberti 73 in 357. he was shooting 38's. this gun was throwing all brass (fired cases) forward and he was loosing all his brass as it went in front of the firing line. most i have seen throw the brass up or up and back. usually have your hat brim full of spent cases. has anyone got a fix for this. seems to me it would have something to do with the lifter and extractor timing or angle or whatever. good gunsmith question i guess. i told him his brass was keeping the brass from my marlin company. i will pass on whatever i learn.
thanks
ld
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 1873 winchester question

Post by Griff »

Little Doc wrote:shot a cas match with a guy who was shooting a uberti 73 in 357. he was shooting 38's. this gun was throwing all brass (fired cases) forward and he was loosing all his brass as it went in front of the firing line. most i have seen throw the brass up or up and back. usually have your hat brim full of spent cases. has anyone got a fix for this. seems to me it would have something to do with the lifter and extractor timing or angle or whatever. good gunsmith question i guess. i told him his brass was keeping the brass from my marlin company. i will pass on whatever i learn.
thanks
ld
It seems it should be thrownin' them to the rear if the extractor is holding on to them properly. But... if the extractor is worn, and letting the case slip forward the brass could be thrown all over, and depending on how he holds the gun or works the lever, forward is a distinct possiblity. Just outta curiousity, is it short-stroked? That could somehow affect the arc of the brass, but I don't see much how.

legal diclaimer: I'm no expert and the above is simply a guess! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Little Doc »

howdy griff,
as i recall it had been shortstroked.
ld
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My 73 carbine has a short stroke kit installed and the ejected case come straight up and slightly back. The top extractor on the bolt may be worn and need to be replaced before it breaks. Usually there is no warning when an extractor goes bad. You just get a very bad jam.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30