Why do I want a 30-30??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Why do I want a 30-30??

Post by FOTIS »

About the most useless rifle I can possibly get for my type of hunting!!!
Still want one!
Stigmas.................

Not as accurate as bolt guns.....
Low bc bullets can only be safely employed...
Limited power....

(again all of the aforementioned are not in fact general hindrances, but inapplicable to my available hunting)

Usage factor .....1

Cool factor..........10 :mrgreen:

Can anyone relate?
Last edited by FOTIS on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why do I want a 30-30??

Post by Tycer »

What IS your type of hunting? 150+ yards? Moose?

If your shots are mostly less than 150 yards and animal elk and down and you can shoot, then the 30WCF will suit you perfectly.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

I live in Wyoming. Most of my shots are over 200 yards. Very rarely do I get an opportunity to hunt the timber and if I do it is always for elk.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Can I relate? I have a safe full of high powered rifles, two 30/30s included and havent seriously hunted in years! If all of us owned only what we use or really need and absolutely had nothing else there would be no econemy.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

No I can't relate. I have 3 .30-30s (one of which is a SINGLE-SHOT! :shock: ). Wouldn't willingly part with any of them. Don't know what you hunt or where you hunt that makes them useless. Don't know why you'd post that here except to fire up some controversy. :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Fotis, you are stressed over this. Better leave the 30-30 to those who bring home the pay load every yearwith one of them, and go get you a big magnum or some such powerful shooter. Life's too short perplexin' over a 30-30.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sounds like you need to plant some trees. :D
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

brucew44guns wrote:Fotis, you are stressed over this. Better leave the 30-30 to those who bring home the pay load every yearwith one of them, and go get you a big magnum or some such powerful shooter. Life's too short perplexin' over a 30-30.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Same reason that those of us who hunt semi-rural whitetail in the woods want a 7mm Remington Magnum...

... just LOOK at the ballistics - why, with a 140 grain bullet, it's over FOUR INCHES flatter than the stupid old .270 at 500 yards :o .

I need one NOW...!

The longest range I can target shoot at conveniently is 100 yards, and that's about as far away as I could get a shot at a whitetail even if 7mm Remington Mag were a legal deer cartridge here. It is legal for coyotes, but I'm still not likely to see one much past 200 yards.

... and besides, if I shot a a coyote with my 6mm Remington (which I also need), it might not put it down as definitively as that 7mm would - it's got 2200 vs. 1700 foot pounds at that range, and coyotes can get pretty big... :lol:

As my wife says the difference between men and boys is how much money they waste on their toys... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

+1 tycer. I think that you may be surprised at the ranges you actually are shooting at. I tried a range finder a friend had and was surprised at how far off I was but then I'm not much of a hunter any longer.Also the 30/30 seems to be under appreciated as far as what it will do.But like you said The rifles are cool! Just my.02-and about what it's worth.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Taking game at long range with a with any gun is gratifying....
But getting as close as you can....without the prey knowing your there...
and knocking em down with a 30-30 or smaller caliber, with open sites,
a muzzy or a bow.....is a lot more gratifying to me anyway!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I GOT IT!!!

You want a 30-30 so you can learn to be a better hunter.

Cool! What do I win?
Kind regards,
Tycer
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:wink:
Kind regards,
Tycer
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I don't recond I really need a 30/30. It's kinda funny, when I think about it, but I have owned a 30/30 in some form, just about all of my life, at least since I was about 14 or 15, I am 51 now.

And Last count I think I own 5 of them. Two pre-64's, two comeratives, and a Marlin straight grip, pre-safety. But ironically, I have taken a lot more game with other calibers, but I could have taken a good portion of that game with an iron sighted 30/30. I recond if I had to hunt exclusively with a 30/30 from now on, it would be a small hinderance, at times, and quite suitable the rest of the time.

It's not the caliber that draws me to the 30/30, as much as the wounderful pre-64 model 94's that keep me holding on to several 30/30's. But the 30/30 can stand on it's own merit.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, no, actually a good caliber for medium/short range hunting for American game short of large bear.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

At the end of the day it's all about the shooter. I only have 2 guns. (scoped) 243W and (peep) 30-30. If I can't do the job with these, then the job aint worth doing. But I shoot in some open country and some scrub so my choice is for me. Choose whatever suits you.

You probably don't need a 30-30, but geez I love mine.

Waz
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Not as accurate as bolt guns.....
I believe this is a practical myth. The peculiarities of an individual barrel are FAR more importnat than how the bolt gets to the chamber.

The other differences that matter are the sights chosen and THE SHOOTER.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

The 30-30 of Legend still slays ...http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=6167 :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Hobie wrote:No I can't relate. I have 3 .30-30s (one of which is a SINGLE-SHOT! :shock: ). Wouldn't willingly part with any of them. Don't know what you hunt or where you hunt that makes them useless. Don't know why you'd post that here except to fire up some controversy. :roll:
Absolutely not my intention at all!

I am a lever gun nut and my post was meant to be facetious. As in "I am going to buy a gun that will probably not get a lot of use in the hunting field but I gotta have it be cause it is a lever."

Got a Marlin 45-70, got a Win 94 356 might as well get a Marlin 30-30 huh? :mrgreen:
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

FOTIS wrote:
Hobie wrote:No I can't relate. I have 3 .30-30s (one of which is a SINGLE-SHOT! :shock: ). Wouldn't willingly part with any of them. Don't know what you hunt or where you hunt that makes them useless. Don't know why you'd post that here except to fire up some controversy. :roll:

I am a lever gun nut and my post was meant to be facetious. As in "I am going to buy a gun that will probably not get a lot of use in the hunting field but I gotta have it be cause it is a lever."

Got a Marlin 45-70, got a Win 94 356 might as well get a Marlin 30-30 huh? :mrgreen:
read the following....
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3030varmint.htm
then let us know if you buy a Marlin or Winchester...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Very interesting reading indeed. I have been using Unique and light slugs in my levers fr years with results that mirror the author's. 300 gr cast for the 450 and 45-70 Marlins light 180 gr bullets in teh 444 and 110 plinkers in the 30-30. What fun!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Fotis, I like to hunt with a variety of old Winchester leverguns. I've taken a few Whitetail deer with the 45-70, but this year I hunted with the 30-30, using a tiny little 150 grain bullet. As far as the 30-30's ability to bring home the venison, I got two Whitetail Bucks each about 200 pounds live weight. Only one shot was required for each one. You can read the report and see the photos here http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... lit=report . The little 30-30 carbine I have (named Old Savage) is also my wilderness packing rifle when I take my family into the remote wilderness. It is light, fast and compact, and is plenty of medicine for any problem Black Bear or Cougar we may run into.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FOTIS wrote:

Well, you'll never get an argument from me about getting more guns. That's a no brainer. Get all you can while you can (ammo, too).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i had a marlin 336 in 30-30 years ago and the doggone things recoil led me to get rid of it...i guess i'm just a 'wimp'...perhaps a 30-30 in a BA or single shot might be ok it it had more 'heft' than the light weight 336 after all, the 30-30 cartridge is an all time great.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

30/30 bullets don't fall out the air at 200yds :roll:
If you hunt the prong horn at 200 my trapper model (16" barrel) was 6-7" down. I'd go for it.
Never did it but the dear size rocks I would shoot at at that distance made some convincing sounds!

Don't worry about penertration, the bullet ain't beating it self up as bad as the faster one's.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Listen, pilgrim - if it's good enough for the Duke, then it's good enough for me!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Didn't The Duke use 92s?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Savage wrote:Didn't The Duke use 92s?
Actually, yes - but let's keep that a secret. Shhhhh... Factory .38-40 and .44-40 rounds are not very plentiful or cheap, and I don't want to buy another set of dies!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am sure he wanted to use a 94. :D

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

FOTIS wrote:I live in Wyoming. Most of my shots are over 200 yards. Very rarely do I get an opportunity to hunt the timber and if I do it is always for elk.
I live in Wyoming. ALL of my shots are well within 200 yards. I hunt deer, elk & antelope, plus the occasional coyote.

I hunt with a '92 .44 Mag.; a '73 .45 Colt & an '86 in .45-70.

I try to get as close as I can. Then I get closer...

PS: I DO have a .223 for 'yotes & prairie dogs :oops:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Old savage you should be proud when someone names their gun after you!
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Old Savage wrote:Didn't The Duke use 92s?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

look what sgt. york did with a stock 03 springfield and a mil-spec .45 acp 1911. no 14x rangefinder scope. no super premium bullets. no $4000 tricked out .45acp. if limited to a 30wcf. ,we would all become better shots and more sucessfull hunters. money and technology can't replace practice and time in the field. just my 2 cent's worth.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well you know Bogus I am. No finer fellow than that KirkD. And I am excited about his accomplishment with that 30-30 but it is a little new for him, 54' - OK though, his birth year.

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Because - every rifleman - particularly levergunner - should have at least one -

IMNSHO -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Because you are a good American :D
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

OJ that is one classy rifle!!!!
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Bullet Bob wrote:Because you are a good American :D
Actually I am !!!!!!!!

DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have a .35 Remington and a .32WS, but the 30/30 is THE most fun cartridge to reload that exist, IMO. I have one that I only shoot cast out of and another that I shoot mostly jacketed out of. I load them with everything from 115 grain cast to 190 grain cast and everything in between. I am now working up a load for the 150 grain Barnes TripleX Flatpoint for my son. I understand it is quite the deer killer!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

FOTIS wrote:OJ that is one classy rifle!!!!
Thanks - it shoots as good as it looks, too. Have owned it 40 years now and it always gets noticed at the range.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

A 30-30 loaded with a good hard cast bullet like this (happens to be a gas checked 170 grain Laser cast...)

With enough powder to drive it around 1900 fps will do just fine on elk in the timber. Seriously - complete penetration.

There are plenty of members here that do just that every year - ask em!

Now, just picture yourself sitting behind a nice elk that you just brought down holding a Winchester or Marlin 30-30 and flashing a big cheese eatin grin. :D

That's why you want a 30-30.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I have 6 in 30.30 lever action. I got them " Just Cause " .........Mutt
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Mutt +1, but I only got 3 :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Well I will have one for sure....just cause
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FOTIS wrote:Well I will have one for sure....just cause
You just might end up with more then one before it's all said and done :D

The 30-30 is not my favourite cartridge by any stretch of the imagination !

However I still own on no less then a DOZEN rifles chambered for the cartridge :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Got a collection going huh? Do they breed? :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FOTIS wrote:Got a collection going huh? Do they breed? :lol:
Along with the 70 or so other Marlin's :wink:

Then you can add shotguns , bolt actions , 22's and handguns !

You kinda get the picture :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Well got one from the wife as a X-mas present!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

O.S.O.K. , That bullet of yor`n is the spittin image of the Lyman 311041 that does so well in my .30-30`s
Can`t have too many .30-30`s.
50yd target.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I just wrote about my 94 on the williams foolproof thread. Here again, my first centerfire rifle was this 94 I bought new at about 15 years old in 1956. I soon added the pad and foolproof. I have NEVER had to resight it. One nice buck at 225 yards. While I dont really hunt much anymore, I used to quite a bit. Through the years I have acquired a safe full of high powered bolts, scopes etc. Winchester 70s, ruger M-77, Browning safari, Bar, remington etc.
For years I would throw the model 94 in the truck as a backup to my "exspendsive" bolts. I sometimes would really hunt with the 94 when I got tired carrying my 8+ pound 300 H&H win 70 and scope. Several times driveing to or from hunting I spotted a deer and grabbed the 94 instead of a bolt because it was faster to get into action, and collected!
The old winnie has always been spot on, I know where it hits, it is fastest to get in action, it is the lightest and easyest of all to carry, and in MOST situations will do the job. If I ever had to be on the run in a battle senerio, the 94 wouldnt be my worst fast choice out of my safe. Follow up shots are faster with the lever than a bolt. I trust my williams sight more than a scope over time, and you can find 30/30 ammo easier anywhere.