Reason long barreled guns produce greater velocity

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Reason long barreled guns produce greater velocity

Post by BAGTIC »

Seems I am forever reading posts about how long barrels produce more velocity because there is more time for the powder to burn.

My rhetorical question is if one has two airguns exactly alike except that one has a 6" barrel and the other a 20" barrel does the longer one produce higher velocities because the compressed air/ CO2 has more time to burn?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

NO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

No, because the compressed air is not burning, rather it is constantly depressurizing in the barrel as the space behind the projectile increases. In a firearm the burning powder is keeping pressure behind the projectile.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There is a point of diminishing returns where more length is of no advantage and will actually slow the bullet down.
Since the air rifle bullet,like the powder driven bullet, starts from a dead stop,it takes time and barrel length to get to full velocity. any barrel length over the point of full velocity just slows the bullet back down some. Each powder has a different point where this happens. :wink:
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

sore shoulder wrote:No, because the compressed air is not burning, rather it is constantly depressurizing in the barrel as the space behind the projectile increases. In a firearm the burning powder is keeping pressure behind the projectile.

In a firearm all the powder that is going to burn so has done so in the first 5-6 inches. After that the pressure drops steadily all along... just like in an air rifle.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

In any firearm the bullet will continue to accelerate so long as the gas pressure exerted against the base of the bullet exceeds the force necessary to overcome friction of the bullet in the bore. This is true no matter how the pressure is derived. There is a balance point, having mostly to do with the expansion ratio of the chamber/bore, after which the bullet will begin to decelerate due to friction with the bore surface. This varies from about 12" for .22 Short, 16" for Long Rifle up to the muzzle for most calibers. Most centerfires would reach the balance point, if an infinite length barrel were possible, somewhare beyond the muzzle. For air or CO2 powered guns the balance point is shorter even than in the 22s, probably in the8-10" area.
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

BAGTIC wrote: In a firearm all the powder that is going to burn so has done so in the first 5-6 inches. After that the pressure drops steadily all along... just like in an air rifle.
That is incorrect!

Take a slow burning powder like RL-21 in a rifle and it burns the length of the barrel. Shorten the barrel and it will continue to burn after it has left the barrel (though NOT helping in velocity) But makes a large muzzle flash as the powder burns.

Now take a fast burning like Bullseye and you are correct it is done burning in a pistol caliber in just several inches.
Don McDowell

Re: Reason long barreled guns produce greater velocity

Post by Don McDowell »

BAGTIC wrote:Seems I am forever reading posts about how long barrels produce more velocity because there is more time for the powder to burn.

My rhetorical question is if one has two airguns exactly alike except that one has a 6" barrel and the other a 20" barrel does the longer one produce higher velocities because the compressed air/ CO2 has more time to burn?
If your logic was right, a contender with a .223 super 14 barrel, and a 223 varminter with a 24 inch barrel would get the same velocity with the same loads. Fact of the matter is they don't.
Depending on the powder being used there is a point at which the difference between a 18 -20 inch barrel and a 24-26 inch barrel isn't anything to get excited about ,but there is a difference..
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Reason long barreled guns produce greater velocity]

[This varies from about 12" for .22 Short, 16" for Long Rifle up to the muzzle for most calibers]

In fact, a 24" barreled .22 L.R. will produce less velocity than an 18" or 19" one will.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've also found the same as Pete.

With the Aguila Super Colibri (primer only)
Out of a 16" 615fps

out of a 20" 590fps

out of a 23" 580fps

The longer the barrel the more the pressure diminishes and friction takes over.

Now when using 2400 / H110 / Lil'gun there is a definite increase in Velocity between shorter and longer barrrels.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Even the compressed air need to escape the barrel.....the velocity stops increasing when the barrel is vented to atmosphear (the bullet leaves).
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

As the bullet moves down the barrel the pressure drops. As long as the force exerted by the pressure is greater than the friction force between the bullet and the bore, the bullet will continue to accelerate.

When the bullet gets far enough down the barrel such that the force exerted by the pressure is less than the friction force between the bullet and the barrel, the bullet will begin to slow down.

Where that point is depends upon the amount of powder, type of bullet, etc. Certainly, no one can deny that most pistol bullets have a higher muzzle velocity out of a 20" rifle barrel than they do out of a 3" pistol barrel.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Mostly true. However, it is not as simple as it sounds. If it were simply pressure = velocity, a load that stretched a gun to near the point of a blowup might wreck the gun, but it would fire a terribly fast bullet.
Does it? Think about it!
Isn't "if" a grand word?
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Longer barreled air guns produce more velocity, usually because they have longer compression chambers/pistons to go along with it.
Slow is just slow.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I have seen instances where 2 guns of the same type (different barrel lengths)were shot at the same time using the same ammo and the shorter of the 2 actually had a higher velocity.

Many factors affect velocity. Chamber dimensions and throating being 2 of them. Some powders produce pretty much the same velocity in an 18" barrel as they do in a 26" barrel.

At any rate long barrels just aren't worth the extra effort/pain. In a lever gun anything over 22" is just because you like it. I personally prefer the 18" barrels.

100fps isn't enough to matter on game.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Swampman wrote:I
At any rate long barrels just aren't worth the extra effort/pain. In a lever gun anything over 22" is just because you like it. I personally prefer the 18" barrels.
I disagree with that statement. I believe that the major benefit to longer barrels is the longer sighting radius.

Ed
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

A rifle needs a scope. Sight radius is a moot point when you use one. Fighting all that muzzle weight is a major problem for me. I think 22"s is perfect.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Black powder years ago needed longer barrels. Probley another thing looked at back then was in levers some people might like the longer magazine tubes on longer barrels. How about some of those old cheap "long tom" shotguns that some people thought they needed!
Kind of the same thinking my dad had in the 50s. We wanted to get into bow hunting. Dad was a very strong athletic 6 ft 5". So he went and found a used 95 pound bow!! He soon bought a new 65 pounder!