puma m92 454

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

puma m92 454

Post by bbleverfan »

ok i have been hearing of the m92 begining to show signs of ecessive wear when shot with hot factory ammo with higher pressures.is there any factory ammo that have lower pressures that wont cause premature failure to my gun?i have only had about 2 boxes of shells through this thing.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: puma m92 454

Post by kimwcook »

To begin with handloading works. Next, there are companies that produce moderate loads for the 454 if you don't want to or have the capability to reload. FA has a reduced load themselves, or used to. I'd just go googlin.
Old Law Dawg
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

is there any factory ammo that have lower pressures that wont cause premature failure to my gun?
Yes 454 special (45 Colt) :wink:
Sorry I couldn't resist.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

You are going to go broke buying 454 factory ammo long before the gun wears out. Even the cheapest reloaded 454 bulk from Cabellas is $.80 a round. Some Corbon is over $3.25 each. 454 just about demands reloading and that solves all your problems. Backing down from maximum loads by even 15% would likely at least quadruple the life of your carbine. Personally, my 16" carbine seldom gets full power loads. I've shot them, have some loaded up, and they start being no fun in short order even with the recoil pad. With 325gr GC cast bullets I can easily reach standard 45-70 ballistics at significantly less than full power. In a 6 pound carbine that's enough to kill anything this side of Africa. For me, that's good enough.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith