OT - Faith in tragedy -- F/A-18 crash claims four lives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Faith in tragedy -- F/A-18 crash claims four lives

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Obviously this guy hasn't been in this country long enough to be converted to your standard, couch-potato American, otherwise he'd be suing the heck out of just about everybody.

This is the kind of strength of character that made our country great. What a sad event; what an inspirational response...(copied from the Federalist's "Patriot Post" from last week)

Faith in tragedy -- F/A-18 crash claims four lives

On Monday, an F/A-18D Hornet crashed into a neighborhood near MCAS Miramar in San Diego during training exercises with the USS Abraham Lincoln. The pilot, who ejected shortly before impact, reported that the jet's first engine failed about 100 miles off the coast, then the second engine failed as he was flying toward the Miramar airstrip to land the partially disabled plane. Tragically, the crash claimed the lives of four members of the Yoon family, all immigrants from South Korea: Young Mi Yoon, her 15-month-old daughter Grace and two-month-old daughter Rachel, and her mother who was visiting from South Korea to help with the newborn. The father, Dong Yun Yoon, has displayed remarkable courage and faith. Of the Marine aviator, Yoon stated, "I pray for him not to suffer for this action. I know he's one of our treasures for our country." Pressed about what he had said, Yoon reiterated, "I don't have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could."

Of his lost family members, Yoon expressed confidence in his Christian faith: "I believe my wife and two babies and mother-in-law are in heaven with God." Such a demonstration of God's grace amid tremendous grief and suffering is the most powerful witness any Christian can offer. Our heartfelt prayers are that our Heavenly Father will bless Don Yoon with even greater measures of grace and faith and comfort in his earthly losses.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Faith in tragedy -- F/A-18 crash claims four lives

Post by Rusty »

We had a Korean congregation that used our church building at a church I used to go to. I attended their services once when they were having their anniversary service to celebrate one year of meetings. This particular congregation was Presbyterian but there were Koreans from all different denominations that came to the meeting. I was truly amazed at their faith. One Korean pastor came all the way to Florida from South Carolina to be at the meeting.

It was an honor to be able to help them in their ministry. They are wonderful people.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

when I first heard about this I wondered why the pilot didn't ditch. That's a very populated area out there, I used to live 5 miles away. As the jets land they pass over the freeway close enough to touch almost.

I don't know the circumstances but I still question the decision to take it inland. Those are expensive airplanes, he was probably told to take it in. Too bad.

Remember the book/movie "The Great Santini" with Robert Duvall? Not saying the pilot should have sacrificed his life like the fictional character, but he could have gotten wet.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

I didn't realize the pilot was still feet wet when the first engine quit. That plane NEVER should have been brought feet dry with that engine out. It should have immediately returned to the carrier it was training at and tried to land there, or the pilot should have ejected near it. The military career of whomever decided to bring that plane ashore should be over. They put the cost of that plane ahead of the lives of everyone in it's path.

As for the father's faith, rather than clinging to the idea that his family is resting peacefully with God, he should be calling for the heads of whomever made the decision that crushed and burnt the life out of them.

~Michael
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That man is an example of what America used to be. May the Good Lord help him through his grief, and may we have many, many more like him here in our Country.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Deeply touching and a fine example.
Blessings be poured upon that man please.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

The F-14 can easily fly with one engine. He was probably trying to bring it back to land safely when the other engine went out. When you loose both engines you lose hydraulics. Kinda hard to bring it in that way.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

If losing one engine is fairly routine, the decision to land rather than ditch makes sense. I wonder if there'll be a policy change in the future.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Looks like a spammer snuck in.

But back to the thread. I worked as a crash/rescue guy for a few years. Never met a pilot who would have ejected before making sure his aircraft would do no damage to those on the ground if he could possibly help it. Let's face it. Stuff happens. The one person feeling the worst in this situation is the pilot. Most pilots have families. Armchairing his decisions are going to happen enough by the review board folks. How about a little compassion for everyone touched by this tragedy.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jeepnik wrote: How about a little compassion for everyone touched by this tragedy.
Agreed - and that was the point of my post.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
jeepnik wrote: How about a little compassion for everyone touched by this tragedy.
Agreed - and that was the point of my post.
May the pilot be as blessed in his faith as the father.
May those seeking revenge, well, learn!
Pastordon
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)