Your camping woods sidearm question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Your camping woods sidearm question.

Post by 336A »

Ok I know that I posted a similiar thread on Leverguns before on this subject. But here is a twist, what do you use and have you ever had to use it to defend yourself, your camp, or others with you from certain vermin.Things such as coyotes and such.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

You might say so.

Last deer season I defended the camp from a 63 inch rattlesnake with a Colt SAA in .45 Colt.

We hunt hard against the Mexican border and I generally have a sixgun on when I am awake and it is under my pillow when I sleep.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Things such as coyotes and such.]

Depends on how many legs the "coyote" has - Scott's got the right idea. :twisted: :P 8)
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

For general woods bumming and camping I usually pack a 6" S&W 44 Mag. If not that one, it's a 6" 357. Never had to use it for self preservation, unless you count putting meat on the fire. :)
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

+2 on ScottT's motion.

I like to muzzleloader squirrel hunt with a 32 Crockett Rifle. After a near attack from a bulldog I now pack a 44 SBH. That dog disappeared soon after my incident, and I suspect he threatened a well-armed deer hunter.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

If I'm in the woods, or even the possibility there of, I pack a sidearm. I pack either my Colt SAA 4 5/8" bbl. in 45 Colt or a Freedom Arms 7.5" bbl. in 454 Casull. In Washington (State) the legislation saw fit a couple years ago to over ride common sense and we can't as a general rule hunt cougar with dogs (they're now coming to there senses and are allowing limited draws in high cat areas). That being said it's almost impossible to hunt them so there has been a population explosion. Plus, with griz being hunted to almost extinction there's the moratorium on hunting them and they're now populating the high Cascades. Then, there's the alway's present apex predator, humans.

I pack a piece every day for work and deal with the last category. I make more enemies than friends. I've been 200 plus miles away from home and ran into one of those a**hats when I was with family. I pack 24/7.

My brother who lived and worked in Alaska, Soldotna and the Northslope, said always pack a handgun on your side. You'll set your rifle down and get to doing something, hear a noise, turn around to see the bear sitting on your rifle. God bless his soul.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My son-in-law carries a 1911 Government model of some sort (I've yet to see it :?: :!: ). I generally carry something what will do the opposite of the long gun I carry such as a .22 LR when I've got a deer rifle or a .45 Colt when I've got the squirrel rifle.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

When I'm in the brown bear woods I carry a redhawk .44 mag. When I'm anywhere else I carry a 2" or 4" smith and wesson .357 mag. Both ride cross draw fashion when they're not hiding out.

Grizz
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When out in the boonies, I carry my Ruger BH .45 Colt. I've not had to use it yet, but it should get the job done with anything short of a big foot.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Ruger .41 mag Blackhawk 4 5/8" shooting 215gr cast at about 1145fps. The only thing that I had to defend myself against has been a 50# Alligator snapping turtle. He was mean, lemme tell ya.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My carry choice varies with the situation. I'm legal to pack a Colt Combat Commander and usually do so, in either .38 Super or .45 ACP. Often, when out and about, I wear a Colt SAA in .44-40.

Never had occasion to use either on a "varmint". Sticks work well for rattlers, and a rifle does the job on coyotes.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I carry either my 4 5/8" Ruger SBH .44Mag with 240gr XTP's at around 1400fps. Or my Glock 20 10mm with 200gr WFNGC at around 1300fps.

I also carry full time, S&W 442 with Hydroshocks and a Glock 27 40S&W with Golddots.

Glocks are ugly plastic pistols and I have sold a few off, but don't ever plan on parting with the two above :D
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Camp guns are a 38spc Model 15 with keith 173gr and unique on the hip.
Hi-point carbine 147gr 9mm.
Or what ever is unchambered leaned up agnist the tree inbetween hunting times.
Last edited by WCF3030 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I carry my new S&W M10-14 that I bought in February. My carry load for the woods is the Lyman Keith #35429 over 5gr of Unique. I haven't had to use mine for self presevation to date. As I am posting this I am waiting to get my beloved M10 back from S&W. I had to send it in for warranty work due to irregular rifling at the crown of the muzzle. :x I could only get 3"-4" groups with it at 10yds using lead SWC. To say that I was a little upset about this matter would be an under statement for sure. At first I thought that I was getting such large groups due to the knuckle head shooting the gun. That is until I shot a friends M10 with the same ammo, and made a nice little clover leaf group at the same distance.
I'm hoping to have the gun back in the next week or so with the problem corrected.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

The advantage of the sidearm is that you wear it rather than carry it. You are unlikely to lean it against a tree. It will be handy should you need it.

That plus helps counter the negative of lesser available power.
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

A round butt S&W model 13 ,3inch,357. with a combo load, first two 125 gr Federals and the last four 158gr semiwadcutter gc on top of a heavy dose of 2400, and I have used it defend my camp from various vermin,no legs, two legs and four . Doug
a armed man is his own master
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I don't think I've ever been without a sidearm in the woods be it camping, hunting or offroading. The one I choose depends on which lever I'm packing in the jeep. But it's either a 357blackhawk, 44mag (either Vaquero or SBH) or a 22lr Single Six.

Never had to use for any defensive reasons and hope I never have to.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Around town I carry a model 60 S&W .38, but I like something bigger for camp gun. I carry a 4 3/4" .45 Colt SAA around camp or out hunting. It just sits right, and I'm not concerned with concealed carry as I am around town. Never had to use it for anything but fun so far.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Woods gun is a Colt .45 SAA 5 1/2 inch, 255cast and some Unique

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I usually carry either an Old Model Single Six, a custom 4 5/8" Bisley .44Mag or a custom Ruger flat-top .44Spl. Although I'm becoming more and more fond of the Cimarron 1872 Open Top .44Colt I got late last year. Never had to defend myself against anything meaner than a big coon, which is usually plenty.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

These days it is almost always a Glock 23. I remember walking through a gun show many years ago, and handling the first mid-size Glock I had seen. I decided it was perfect for camping- sizewise and weightwise. Other things I like about it are that it has good capacity and one spare magazine provides all the spare ammo I could imagine needing, it is easy to load/unload depending on what states we might be driving through, and I can count on it to resist the elements well.

I very seldom go anywhere that large animals would be a problem. If I did, I would carry something more appropriate for that.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Depends.

If I have no rifle, then it is my .357 SP101.

If I have a long arm it can vary significantly.

But for general hiking, (where it's planned and I'm not already packing the G27) the SP101 and a couple of different types of ammo on Bianchi strips is what's in the fanny pack.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Camp "gun"? How can you have only one camp gun? :-) Of course, it depends on where camp IS. If camping out of a vehicle (our usual scenario) then when in the US of A I've usually got a wide variety with me. Everything from a Model Of The 1911 A1 45acp to an Old Model Single Six 22 with either/or 22 lr or mag cylinder installed. Each one serves a purpose and is nice to have around. Last time north the Taurus Model 431 44 spl and the Model 10 38 spl were the most frequent "camp guns" - that is, the ones that were not in a gun case but close at hand. In the past the Norinco 45 did the honors as did the Ruger Old Army a few times.

Now, if I were back packing then I'd probably opt for the Taurus 44 and the Single Six, or the Vaquero 45 Colt and the Single Six - depending on if I were in bruin territory or not.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

For me it's my short-barreled Blackhawk in .45 or my Springfield .45ACP. There is a lot of comfort in those two pistols!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Usually a 4" Smith .357 or .44 Special for handigun when we are truly in the woods with wild critters around. For rifle, either a short Lever, or a tanker Garand.

Only times I've shot animals, in defense of people, have been dogs biting kids right here in town. I like dogs, but not when they're doing that.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Ha...

Now that I have something with morepunch than my little Ruger Bearcat in .22, I'll carry the 6 1/2" BH in .357. That should take care of those coyotes and bobcats.

Have gun, will travel!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Dang, now I need a "Camp Gun".

Used to carry a Smith 3" 44 Spl with, if my memory serves right,
something like a Sierra/Speer hollow cavity light bullet over Unique
in a warm handload.

Right now I have a 22 revolver I haven't shot yet (had it a few months
too), pretty much new 1946 model but I need to rework the cylinder
chambers to get ammo to drop in (tools comming to iron out the burrs).
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

If I am camping, yes I usually have one, but what I carry varys. It used to always be a 44mag of some kind, often a 4 inch model 29 or Ruger super blackhawk. But I don't usually take one into the woods when leaving camp to hunt with my rifle, because I don't like the pack the extra weight, and I never let myself get seperated from my rifle in the woods, anyway.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I carry a 6" S&W mod 27 in .357magnum in a cross draw holster. I've had to shoot a wild dog once.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

bsaride, your user name reminds me of mine & my brothers' association with a '61 & then a '65 Lightning rocket, many, many moons ago. When I went into the service in '67, he took the '65, put a 57 tooth overlay sprocket & a fat tire on the rear wheel, & went drag racing with it. Surprised many a trailered drag car, I can tell you! I couldn't believe the power of that "little" 650 when the cams came in at 6 grand! darn near tore your hands off the grips!. The only problem we had was the clutch hub keys breaking. I had the idea of putting three on the shaft, 120 degrees apart, don't know if it woulda extended the life, as we didn't have the money to do the machining. jd45
P.S......hated those Whitworth fasteners!
Levergunner

Post by 9422 »

Not quite old enough to buy a pitsol or pistol ammo yet. Still got 2 years to go.

So my choices are pretty limited. Ussually I bum my dads .22 ruger bisley. Otherwise its a 9422 or savage premier for just a woods partner.

Only had to a gun once for defense in the woods. I fell asleep in my tent an forgot to zip up the door. Found a Pizzed Off coon on too of my sleepin bag. His company was unappriciated
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Ha ha 9422...

That's the perfect opportunity to blast something! Of course, so long as your feet are out of the way, first.

It would stink having to limp out of the woods. :)

From what I see here, Rugers are a very popular choice.
I was actually going to try and find a .44 but saw this and decided it was just right.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

For a number of years my "woods bum'n" sidearm was a Ruger Bisley Single Six in either .22 Long Snapper, or .32 H&R mag.

Last year however a seemingly large black bear ripped open the side of the cabin 4-5 different times. One attempt while we were there. So.. since then it's usually my 500 Linebaugh Bisley or 44 Mountain gun. :D :lol:
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

Alas, if I could carry here in Canada it would be a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag, perfect compliment to the Win 94 44 mag I do pack in the bush.
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

the ranch where I hunt has been know for mountain lions.the chance of running into one are pretty slim.that said I am not the luckest guy :) .
hunting. the smith 44 mountain gun or the ruger sp101 357.

"if" I get the invite to hunt south texas this year it would be my cz 40B.it is getting pretty bad down there now.bandits,druggies,mexican army ect ect ect.not the place to go un-armed.its a darn shame!!.
pete
DAV life member.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

We have bear problems here in florida..too many...
and they love to raid our feeders, the neighbors garbage cans
etc. etc....They haven't been in camp yet with us there...
but....I bet its just a matter of time....They usually haul butt
when they see us coming...Anyway, my side arm is a S&W 44 mag, 6"
with 2 round of snake shot.....lots of rattlers, moccasins, and
copperheads, 2 light loads with semi wad cutters....and 2 heavy
loads with hollow points that could flip over a truck...
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

For me, it's generally one of my single action .44 revolvers in a western rig. I like this set-up for general woods bumming. With an assortment of different loads, it works quite nicely.

I am also quite fond of just sticking my .45 Colt 1911 in my waistband. This works well around camp and on so forth where I feel the need to be armed without the need of a holster.

Hank
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
dawei

Post by dawei »

When in the woods (on my hip or in my hand): S&W 686 4 inch barrel 357Mag; stoked w/Federal® 180gr CastCore™ bullets. I'm never w/o a handgun, ever.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

My Ruger Vaq 7.5" in .45 colt loaded with 250's @ about 1100fps sits in my gun belt (western style rig)when I go out and about. Haven't had to use it but better safe then sorry.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Wood's Pistol

Post by HEAD0001 »

It would have to be my Titanium S&W 44 magnum. It has faithly protected me from ground hog's, Rabbit's, Opossum's, Squirrel's, Grouse, Raccoon's, and two pretty stupid turkey's. Tom.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Variious 1911s ( 45 snd 10mm), Ruger BH 45 Colt, S&W Model 21/ 44Spl. S&W model 29. Ruger SBH. 44mag. S&W model 17 / 22lr. Colt Match Target. Colt Official Police 38spl.

Depends alot on what long gun(s) I'm taking along.

Have had to "uncover" my side arm twice in the woods One two legged varmint that thought he could intimidate me with yelling and screaming until he saw the 1911 on my hip.
the second time was a VERY aggressive
St. Bernard that charged me and the kids while walking the dogs near my cabin.. When the dogs owner saw me reaching for my 44 spl. he fianally called him off. I thought for sure he was going to rip my lab's head off.

Told the dog's owner that was very "Un-cool".
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Smith & Wesson .41 mag. 4 inch
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Well if I have a large caliber rifle with me it gets paired with an old H&R Sportsman in .22 LR.
If I'm carrying a .22 rifle or no rifle at all I carry either the Blackhawk in .41 mag or a Model P in .45 Colt both with 4 3/4 in. bbls.
The .45 is just a smidgen lighter and the Kirkpatrick rig it rides in is the most comfortable of them all so it gets the job most often.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

It varys, If I am deer hunting and have a rifle It is almost always the O.M. single six. When I am berry picking It is a mod. 14 loaded with one snake shot flowed by five 158 swc. But when trout fishing or anywhere that there may be marijauna fields I carry a glock 23 with 155 win silvertips or speer G.D.
Break on through to the other side!!!
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I'm surprised to see this thread resurface.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

S&W 629 Classic 44 mag 6" barrel...
Just snakes....water mocassins and rattlers
CCI snake shot work pretty good on the smaller snakes...
It takes a couple shots on the large snakes
Last edited by RIHMFIRE on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

These days I only have 3 choices since I have narrowed down my pistol collection. I have a S&W 19 .357, a Springfield 1911, or my 1860 Colt Replica to choose from.
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Ruger SP101 , 3 1/16 barrel,357,CrinsonTrace grips.It goes with me every were I go. Doug
a armed man is his own master
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I generaly carry my buckmark loaded with stingers when in the woods..there ain't no animals gonna be much of a problem in texas..cept the ocasional snake..I use a dan wesson 44 magnum with a 4in barrel when camping..sometimes I carry my 10mm delta elite with norma or buffalo bore ammo.....
Last edited by Savage99 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Camp gun

Post by rjohns94 »

My 637 .38+P j-frame. Its always near me. Other choices have been my Colt .44 special, My Reeder Ruger .44mag, my Sig 220 .45, and now I have a Kahr MK 9 in 9 mm. The .38 just dispatched a deer that was found mortally crippled.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot