Not OT - Maxwell House Coffee

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Not OT - Maxwell House Coffee

Post by oldmax »

I reload for 2 leverguns, So I think I'm on topic :mrgreen:

Maxwell House Coffee has improved my life considerably !!!!!!

I use to drink Folgers coffee,
But having discovered the Square Plastic Coffee Containers that Maxwell House ships in....
I am now a " Maxwell House " drinker........

Square is better for storing brass, &
lay the containers on there side ; remove cases, run through the press, into next container....
Really speeds up the single stage reloading process....

I am accumulating quite a stock of empties, can't get enough.
Just keep buying more coffee, drinking more coffee, up late
reloading more bullets, shooting more .....
( and shaking more, Hmmm, maybe a correlation here )

( Wife thinks I'm Nuts, Keep asking here if we need more Coffee )

Maxwell House, Good to the last Reload! :mrgreen:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Not OT - Maxwell House Coffee

Post by RIHMFIRE »

me too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I use the Folgers round plastic jugs myself but when I found walmart had their plastic pencil boxes on clearance for 50 cents a peice, I bought a large number and put all of my brass into them - my brass stash is now much more organized and I can find what I'm looking for.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I just use zip-lock baggies with brass sorted by headstamp (and caliber, of course). Easy to throw them in a box, they don't roll away, and will lay on the side opened.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And here I am, getting fat & fatter 'cause I store mine in ice cream empties!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ditto the Folgers round plastic tubs!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

The wife and I love Columbian coffee. Years ago we were drinking the Maxwell House brand and felt they changed the roasting procedure so we went to Folgers and feel they have done the same. Now we drink Eight o' Clock Columbian and love it. Get the whole bean variety and grind it until it's pulverized. What a taste any time of day!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The wife got me a Keurig maker last year. Single cup maker, uses little plastic premeasured cups that look like giant size creamer cups you see in resturants. There must be danred near 100 different coffees and teas available. It's fast too, heats from stone cold to brew in about 3 minutes, and reheat time between cups is less than a minute. Kinda neat for entertaining as everyone can get what they want. Almost a buck a cup, but it's better and cheaper than starbucks or what have you. The little cups aren't useful for anything, but what the heck, the coffee is good.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:And here I am, getting fat & fatter 'cause I store mine in ice cream empties!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
((Guffawing)) :P :lol: :P :lol: :lol:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

don't mean to introduce a radical concept, but what about using the ammo boxes they came in originally?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

El Chivo wrote:don't mean to introduce a radical concept, but what about using the ammo boxes they came in originally?
When you buy your brass by the bag instead of in factory ammo boxes there ARE no boxes to put them in and the bags aren't as handy for storing either. Me? Empty brass gets put in some kind of coffee can or similar until processes (sized and cleaned) then it goes in another one until it's loaded. After loaded it gets put in MTM or Berry's ammo boxes until it gets shot - then the cycle begins again. Now, that's for up in the US. Down here? Empties get put back in their factory box and stored in an icecream box (heavy cardboard, it had a heavy plastic bag inside to hold the original contents) hoping that someday I'll be able to get components and reload them.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

How 'bout cashews, peanut butter, chocolate almond clusters, or animal crackers?
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Now, on a different note - but related to the topic of coffee drinking - check out "Don Pablo" brand coffee if you have a Costco near you. We know one of the guys who works for the company. They don't sell it down here (Colombia actually gets mostly the dregs since they export most of the high quality stuff) but it's available through Costco and perhaps eventually via Sam's Club (haven't heard if they got the contract or not). Anyway, it's good stuff - at least the sample bag he gave us was. You won't get a nifty cartridge box out of it but you will get some pretty decent coffee. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

El Chivo wrote:don't mean to introduce a radical concept, but what about using the ammo boxes they came in originally?
You're not a brass shagger are you? :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

The Maxwell House can tip is a good one, so are the cashew bottles, but they only work if you have a weak collection of brass.

I find that the "Homer Buckets" from Home Depot work best for storing and separating brass. They are five gallon buckets that can at least store what I'd call the beginnings of a brass collection. And the good thing about them is, because they are hard plastic, you can stack them from floor to ceiling. I find that I can stack the brass for one cartridge in one column (about six high with six different brands of brass or loadings) and then start another column for another cartridge. You can usually get a dozen columns along one side of the garage wall if you have brass for multiple cartridges.

So if your wrists are a bit limp and your loafers a tad light, go with the coffee cans, but if you're a truly dedicated levergunner, go with the "Homer Buckets."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

you can also drag off those shipping containers that come in from the Orient. Because we import so much and export so little, there are hundreds of them stacked up around the docks in LA.

There is a company making cheap pre-fab homes out of them, but there should be some left for dedicated levergunners. I think tree surgeons also take them to their sites for limb disposal.

Each one is the size of a semi trailer and holds about 80,000,000 pieces of 38 special brass.

Yes, they are stackable.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

El Chivo wrote:you can also drag off those shipping containers that come in from the Orient. Because we import so much and export so little, there are hundreds of them stacked up around the docks in LA.

There is a company making cheap pre-fab homes out of them, but there should be some left for dedicated levergunners. I think tree surgeons also take them to their sites for limb disposal.

Each one is the size of a semi trailer and holds about 80,000,000 pieces of 38 special brass.

Yes, they are stackable.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

oldmax wrote:
( Wife thinks I'm Nuts, Keep asking here if we need more Coffee )

Probably thinks you're Chock Full o' Nuts . . . :wink:

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

El Chivo wrote:you can also drag off those shipping containers that come in from the Orient. Because we import so much and export so little, there are hundreds of them stacked up around the docks in LA.

Yes, they are stackable.
How much are one of those CONEXs now? I just need to get a good forklift (I know where there's an operator... ) to move them when needed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Just don't give that forklift driver a copy of Gun Digest, right?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I have most of my brass in beef jerky/stick containers I had a service station owner save for me. He sold a lot of jerky. After about a month, I stopped in and he said "they're in the broom closet". You remember the old cartoons? I didn't think it was really possible to get stuff in a closet like that. It is. He got a good chuckle over it.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

John,
You thought I was kiddin'?

and there's about 5 more added since then!

Jeepnik,
One of my very best friends has one of those, and you're right... convenient, good tasting and cheaper than Starbucks (who has crummy coffee BTW - but then I WAS in the Navy!)

O.S.O.K.,
You say that like it might be some form of ridicule... careful now, I shag brass. One day in CA, about 10 guys came to the range with .30-30s and proceeded to shoot them for about ½ a day... as they packed up, I noticed they didn't make any effort to pick up their brass. I asked, "hey, you guys gonna keep all that brass?" They said no, AND proceeded to pick it ALL up and put it back in the Remington boxes they brought it in... about 25 boxes worth of pristine once-fired .30-30 brass! Ah, the sun shone that day!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Heck Navy coffee, some cream and sugar and your ready to go. Grew up on that stuff.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I once worked with a guy who asked me nearly every day for 3 months, "How could you have spent 5 years in the Navy and never learned to drink coffee?" I told him every time, "I can't get past the stench!"

I hated standing the engineroom messenger watch. Messenger watch had to make the coffee. The strange part is, the coffee-drinkers generally liked it when I made it.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

El Chivo the U S A must be just like Australia, thanks to the politicians we elected to run our countries look after them and protect them, our number one export is empty shipping containers.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:I once worked with a guy who asked me nearly every day for 3 months, "How could you have spent 5 years in the Navy and never learned to drink coffee?" I told him every time, "I can't get past the stench!"

I hated standing the engineroom messenger watch. Messenger watch had to make the coffee. The strange part is, the coffee-drinkers generally liked it when I made it.
One of my uncles did the full 20 year stretch (or more, I don't recall) in the Navy, retiring as chief warrant officer as I recall. In all that time he never did learn to drink coffee. He's a tea drinker to this day. Me? I grew up on coffee. Was told "it'll stunt your growth!". Made it to a full 6' tall, wonder what I'd have measured up to if I'd never drunk the stuff...
Paul - in Pereira

JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

AmBraCol wrote:Made it to a full 6' tall, wonder what I'd have measured up to if I'd never drunk the stuff...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alexis de Tocqueville