1851 Revolvers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

1851 Revolvers

Post by Griff »

Well, I'll try not to turn this into a hug fest... but... yesterday I had the pleasure of having breakfast with Nate Kiowa Jones in Beaumont, TX. In addition to a fine conversation and new stories about his younger days in TX, he delivered my 1851 Colt and ASM copy after affecting repairs necessitated by my poor loading skills. Or maybe, not. :P

In attempting to keep both of them original appearing, I didn't really want to change out nipples to the new harder, more exact versions everyone recommends. Either they're stainless or some other shiney metal, and both guns have blued cylinders... even if my stuff ain't period correct, I like it to look like it is. Anyway, long story short, I loaded 'em up on match with rather hefty charges, much heavier than the normal 17-21 grains of 3F I use.

Can we say "frame stretch"? And in a percussion revolver this is as bad as it is in a cartridge gun. I started getting inconsistent firing... not good in a timed match. I found a LOT of cylinder slop in both guns. So, late last summer I dropped 'em off with Steve and said, fix 'em... take yer time... no rush. Then storms hit and Steve had a bunch of stuff going on.

Well, I called a couple of weeks ago and he said they were done. I think that's about where I asked how much it was going to cost... maybe I shoulda asked up front? Anyway, they're repaired, new Treso nipples and even an extra cylinder fitted that works in both guns! At a reasonable price. Maybe more than reasonable, but I'm not complaining!

Now there ain't nothing spectacular about their looks, in fact, other than the shiney nipples, outwardly they're the same as before. But... I don't know what he did, but even the overtravel on the Colt's hammer and the ASM are significantly reduced... and if he didn't do anything about that... I hope he takes credit for it, as they feel very tight and crisp.

Pleased, :D :D :D is what I am. Now all I need are the other two back from getting the "Manhatten conversion" done in CA, two cross-draw holsters to match the straight hang ones, the new Henry outta hock and my double slung over my shoulder and I'll be ready for any CAS match! (I like those stages where ya gotta have extra pistols!

I tell ya, that Nate can work on more'n '92s and make 'em right! There, I mentioned a coupla leverguns, so it ain't OT! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1851 Revolvers

Post by Old No7 »

Great report...

Those look nice to me Griff. I've got the Treso "shiney nipples" on my Ruger Old Army and they work really well -- and from what my college-age son says, those are getting popular on campus too!

:D

Now go out and make some smoke, and tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, cool, Griff. Keep us informed and updated as to how they throw the lead.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Griff, they look great to me for sure!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Good Looking revolvers. I just got through sanding down the grips on mine and putting stainer on. I got pretty good groups out of my 51, and 1860 while out hunting. Great guns these black powder revolvers.(Love umm)
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Those babies look purty :D As others have said, I too, like the feel of a '51. Wild Bill thought so also. :D
After all, the SA Colt was patterned after it. Can you roll a tomato can like Wild Bill? :D ------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well congrats on your rejuvinated 51's!

I've got a Uberti 51 and it gave me misfires from day one. I ended up stregthening the mainspring and also installing some ss niples as well. It now shoots reliably. Fun caliber. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

They are purdy!!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice! 8)

Oh-oh. Looks like we may have to add Griff to the C. Cash "stalker" list - but for Nate Kiowa Jones versus Gary Sinse! :wink:
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Griff,

As someone who owns a brace of Uberti Squareback '51s (and the "Wild Bill" holsters to go with), I have to ask...how the heck do you fit enough powder in a '51 chamber to stretch the frame? I didn't think it was possible....the chambers just ain't that big! :?:
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wayne Miller wrote:Griff,
As someone who owns a brace of Uberti Squareback '51s (and the "Wild Bill" holsters to go with), I have to ask...how the heck do you fit enough powder in a '51 chamber to stretch the frame? I didn't think it was possible....the chambers just ain't that big! :?:
Well... it wa about 27± grains for an extended period of time. And with age and a LOT of shooting, that's about the only thing that changed from prior to the problem rearin' its' ugly head. Seemed ok the match prior to this they were fine; then swiitched to Remington #10 from CCIs and I had ignition problems. At first I blamed the caps, but the guy I got 'em from is a fellow C&Ber and he wasn't havin' any problems. So, I inspected the guns a little closer and found he cylinder gap. And with wedges as far in as they'd go. Prior to that if I'd have driven the wedges that far in, the cylinder was bound.

If they don't have something for me to do this afternoon or tomorrow, I might try to find a range near W. Memphis & try 'em out. Ain't sure my flask is with me... so may have to wait till I get home. 'Sides, it's chilly here in mideast TN (Jackson), 14ºF and ain't sure it'll watm up any any closer to the "Big Muddy". :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!