New Winchesters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

New Winchesters

Post by oldmax »

Short barrel lever Mdl92 357 and 44 mag, Wrangler style . Made in Japan.... Looked good though, decent quality...The lever action had a shotgun style safety.. There was also larger Lever that I did not look too close at ,I think it was also a Mdl 92. Are these the Browning models rebadged.

Also a Short barrel, 16" ,falling block in 45/70 30/40 and (38-55, if I remember right )
And also some long barrel single shots with the same action.
The single shot short barrel was well " SHORT " , I bet hot 45/70's would really get your attention.

Rep said Levers will not be available until spring...

There was a TON of import cowboy guns, some very fancy ones,,, But they just did not hold my interest. Guess I'm still a Made in Usa traditionalist...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Winchesters

Post by marlinman93 »

Was this at the SHOT Show, or what?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Gotta linkie?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

oldmax wrote:Short barrel lever Mdl92 357 and 44 mag, Wrangler style . Made in Japan.... Looked good though, decent quality...The lever action had a shotgun style safety.. There was also larger Lever that I did not look too close at ,I think it was also a Mdl 92. Are these the Browning models rebadged.

Also a Short barrel, 16" ,falling block in 45/70 30/40 and (38-55, if I remember right )
And also some long barrel single shots with the same action.
The single shot short barrel was well " SHORT " , I bet hot 45/70's would really get your attention.

Rep said Levers will not be available until spring...

There was a TON of import cowboy guns, some very fancy ones,,, But they just did not hold my interest. Guess I'm still a Made in Usa traditionalist...
The problem is, American made guns are moving farther and farther away from traditional. And as you mentioned, the lever actions you did see are Japanese made. How does that equate to "Made in Usa traditionalist...."?
The foreign, make that Italian made lever guns are more American traditional than what's made here. That's why they keep selling and Brownchester just makes short runs of the Miroku made guns.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yep, he's talking about SHOTSHOW '08 allright. I can't believe I had forgot about it being early this year! I like the Ruger Bisley New Vaquero, the Win 1895 Safari Centenial in blued custom grade, the Cimmeron external hammer shotguns and want to know more about the new Dillon 50 BMG progressive press!

Check out Gunblast.com for Jeff's reports!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Sorry, Yes the shot show,Someone got me a pass....

I lasted 6 hours, Back gave out from standing/walking.. Old Age..
Should have said " Made in USA " I enjoy the old guns ( History ).
Please, I'm not knocking the others. Probable better to buy a new Import than shooting.
up an old original.

The Japan made guns seemed to have very good quality, A lot more than my' Repeating Arms'
Winchesters., but than Browning Quality appeared better in General...

The sliding safety seems out of place ( for me )on a Hammer gun, . I did have a Mdl 99 with
a Sliding saftey, seemed more appropriate , no hammer...

I did like the Single shot. I've enjoyed hunting with My Ruger no3 and mt T/C. Although
the few days I got to hunt this year I did carry my 45 colt Trapper while on Drive...
NEAT GUN,!!! I'm surprised Winchester did not offer the 92 in that caliber...

As for the Show: BIG, like going to Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabellas, and all the rest in 1 Day.!
What I found disappointing: The " China " Made cloths and boots , Really saddens me,
More so, That " Made in China " is so accepted in the US.... But again I'm Old ( and probably stupid
, OK , I'll save the replies " I'm STUPID ")... I'll still pay more for " Made in USA " Boots....

Trying to remember more, Will post if I can...
TH'TH''TH' at's All folk's
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

oldmax,

Do not put yourself down for being old, we'll all get there eventually, or preferring American made guns, clothing, boots and other products. I'm right there with you. I'm still wearing 12 year old American made boots I bought at Wal Mart when they still cared about the U.S.. Been rehealed several times and resoled twice.
I do not own anything Chinese made that I can find made here. That is unless the prices are so far out of my budget I can't afford them.

As for firearms, I flat out refuse to purchase any made in China. The Japanese made Brownings are wonderful. I've handled them, but never had the funds to purchase one.
The Miroku Brownchesters are of good quality, but I just won't buy one due to the rebounding hammers and safeties. I just wont.

I'm sorry to hear your back gave out on you. Again, I'm in the same boat. Not sure I would have lasted 6 hours. But it would have been wonderful to be there.

Take care and keep reporting if you can.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just in case you're interested... here's a link that contains downloads of Winchester catalogs from 2001 - 2009. Lots of detailed info for you owners of newer Winchester guns.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!