One powder for reloading.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

One powder for reloading.

Post by jjames »

I currently don't reload my less expensive ammo (243, 270, 308, 30-06) for various reasons and hopefully won't need to. However, given the current political environment I am preparing for the possibility of said ammo becoming either unavailable or becoming expensive. I would like to buy 8# of powder just in case. I was thinking about either Varget or H4895. Any opinions on a selection would be appreciated. Thanks
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: One powder for reloading.

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I like Varget a lot but in the aplications you mentioned I think either would work just FINE. :D
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I'm using Varget more and more. If for some obscure reason (Obama) I was restricted to one rifle powder Varget would be it.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I keep a range of 7 to 8 types of powder, as I shoot for accuracy. Looking at what I reload for, IMR4064 would be a very versatile powder for me in all of my rifles, from 22-250 upto 45-70. Unique is another powder I would not be without. It works for pistol, rifle, cast and jacket alike.
If I were to have only 1 powder it would be unique.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

There is only one powder that I consider appropriate for rifles, revolvers, and shotguns.

FFg Blackpowder.

If you use smokeless powder, you just can't get away with a single powder for all uses. Sure you can thin things down to one powder for handguns and shotguns, but you will need at least one, and probably two different powders for rifles.

Smokeless powder might be nothing more than a passing fad, but even I admit it can be useful.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would probably use RL-19 - apparently you don't need to optimize the 308. Or IMR 4831 - 4064 would work across the board but not optimize the upper velocities in the 243 and 270. What is most important to you?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

There is only one powder that I consider appropriate for rifles, revolvers, and shotguns.

FFg Blackpowder.

If you use smokeless powder, you just can't get away with a single powder for all uses. Sure you can thin things down to one powder for handguns and shotguns, but you will need at least one, and probably two different powders for rifles.

Smokeless powder might be nothing more than a passing fad, but even I admit it can be useful.
Doc, you are a piece of work, my Friend! I was going to recommend IMR 4198, or 3031 or.....

You just crack me up, but I would have to agree that you are probably right. Just fill the case and go and clean-up afterwards.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I'm of the mind that if it gets that far rediculous it won't matter how much powder you have on hand cuz the first time you turn a roundloose somebody is going to rat you out, and the jackbooted thugs will come mow you down and burn your house.
That said

For the 243,and the 06 a pound of h414 for each will most likely suffice.
For the 270 a lb of 4831 will load over a 100 rounds.
For the 308 a pound of 748 will go alooooonngg ways.
Buying powder in 8lb kegs isn't the best way to go unless you are burning thru 10000's of rounds in a year. Smokeless powder will keep longer better in 1lb cans that are factory sealed.

A couple of pounds of 5744 hanging around so you could shoot cast bullets wouldn't be a bad idea.
And Doc's suggestion of a couple pounds of 2f is a goodun.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I hate to say it but the fun of reloading is finding the perfect bullet/powder/primer match. When I'm stuck with one powder and cant do more than that, its probably time for me to hang it up. But I'm going to fight to the bloody death we don't get to that point. How many criminals handload their own ammo? I think not.... :evil:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

CowboyTutt wrote:...How many criminals handload their own ammo? I think not.... :evil:

-Tutt
The only one I can think of is Paul Kersey in Death Wish 3 (played by Charles Bronson); who handloads a .375 Wildey Magnum Automag type pistol. I guess he's a criminal, but he sweeps the streets clean of the bad guys and doesn't get put in jail. So I guess he's not a criminal, either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhezI2ZUmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQNKt_P2pfs&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuKeUAav ... re=related

Come to think of it, there are others who have committed a lot of crimes, lately, who were not only not prosecuted; they were elected or appointed to office. So I guess Kersey should be called a "senator," not a criminal! :lol:

My loads for .277 through .309 calibers are moderate, for accuracy - none are truly "hot." For .270 Win, .30-30, .30-06 and 7.62x39 Russian, the vast majority use IMR 4895.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Everything I have shoots decently with 2400 or BP

Other powders are necessary for optimal performance.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

Thanks for the input.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

IMR4064 will load all the calibers you mentioned and many others.

TomF
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I must ask why you are limiting yourself to only one powder? You won't find one powder that is optimal for all the cartridges you listed.
NRA Life Member
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

As mentioned I don't presently reload these calibers and don't intend to unless everything goes south. As such I do not have the inclination to develop loads for all these calibers in all the possible variation of bullets powders etc. in order to select different powders. When I hunt with these rifles now I am quite happy with the performance of my Hornady factory light mag and custom ammo. I do reload 45-70, 45-90, 38-55s, 405s, 44 mag, 45 Colt, and 10 ga 2 7/8 in smokeless and BP subs depending upon my mood. That is more than enough reloading fun for me. I will eventually load for my 338-378 as I won't pay $6:00 a round if I live long enough to shoot the 80 new rounds I procured at ~$4.00 a round. My desire is to sock away some powder that will produce satisfactory hunting rounds should the same become difficult or expensive to buy. I figure maybe $400-$500 worth of die and components will provide a satisfactoy cushion. Already bought the die on sale with Cabela bucks. Of course living in the Condor state, I may need to reload something for one of these in lead-free for some pig hunting.