SHOT update (1/20/09)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

SHOT update (1/20/09)

Post by 86er »

So far Winchester has the 1895 TR Commemorative in high grade and collectors grade of course in 405. $1700 Interesting, the sign as well as the brochure distinctly says the "high grade model is drilled and tapped for scope mounting". I failed to see any holes or screws? I will follow up on this statement.

The Davidsons 1886 and 1892 are virtually unchanged but have a 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrel. As far as the low walls - high walls, there is a peculiar short straight stocked, 16 1/2" barrel in 45-70 that weights, well not much. (Who wants to shoot this?) The full size rifle is (at least this sample in my opinion) better than ever with an upgraded piece of wood and meticulous polishing of the metal with a very deep dark black finish.

The new 1886 imported by Legacy and made by Chappias comes in 22" round butt and 26" crescent butt. $1369 Fit and finish if very good. The overall weight is more than original or Japanese clones by about 1 pound. The barrel on the carbine is still an octagon with a full length mag tube on the sample but the catalog shows the 22" barrel to be round.

The Chuck O'Conner Rifleman Commemorative is nifty if you're into collecting. It's the 50th anniversary of the TV Series. It is a 92 with a large loop lever, it has a NON FUNCTIONING set screw to simulate the one Chuck used. THere is a commemorative medallion in the stock with Chuck's image and the dates. Special Edition is engraved on the receiver. Chuck's signature is engraved on the other side. Rifle is in 44-40 (Duh). It comes with a certificate of authenticity, a signed print of the Rifleman, a CD with 2 episodes of the show and a commemorative box. 1000 made. $1299

The 1887 shotgun is available with 22" or 28" barrel and is a faithful reproduction. The fit and finish rivals the originals. $1269

Mossberg has the 422 (.22) and 464 pistol grip (checkered) (30-30) out and they say they have the ejector problem solved.(?) They would not comment on how the problem was solved but it looks the same to me. They did say this year nearly 90% of their emphasis is on tactical with the largest portion of the remaining 10% going to the ATR rifles.

None of the Charter Arms 9mm, 40 or 45 revolvers made it for debut.

Freedom Arms - no new models but some now come ready for scope mounting.

Henry Repeating Arms was conspicuously missing from the show.

The Colt was alright, but their was nothing particularly innovative or updated about it. The wood to metal was very good but I saw a few minor flaws in the metal particularly a slight rippling on the barrel finish. Also, the crown seemed very sharp and rough.

Ithaca Gun Company has been revitalized. The Model 37 is once again available with a one piece machined barrel - the rib, lug, everything is one piece - no soldering. All the stocks are very high grade walnut. The tolerances are extremely tight. The gun comes in 12, 16, 20, 28, 410 for around $900.

My favorite guns of this show were not leverguns, unfortunately. Verona has a 28b SXS that is made on a micro-frame boxlock. The action is a small rectangle that is about 1 1/2" X 1 1/4" and embellished in beautifully executed color case hardening. The sample has a high grade walnut stock and was fit perfectly. The dimensions are very useable and easily bendable. It has a straight stock with hand cut checkering, a slim fore-end and 28" barrels. The only fault - in my opinion- was the single trigger. It weighed 5 lbs. One very sweet bird gun for around $1800!

Second favorite - New Winchester Model 70. I never liked the Model 70. No reason but a totality of this and that not to my taste. The new 70 Made in the USA 100% in the SC Plant has my attention. The wood stocks are superb. BTW- there is once again a Super Grade! The checkering was cut and perfect on all the samples. The Super Grade has wrap around of course. The trigger - they call it the MOA trigger- has Zero Creep, Zero Overtravel and Zero Take-Up. You put pressure on it and 3-4 pounds later it goes off. Period. The action is milled from a solid block (no investment casting here). It has Pre-64 controlled round feed and ejection. The safety is the 3 position of the Pre'64 (bigger, easier to access and push, and less resistance to get off). All the barrels have a target crown, impeccable deep bluing and polishing and are free floated. The action is glass bedded and the recoil lug is an integral part of the barrel. It is also bedded. There is a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee for a 3 shot group at 100 yards! I saw 308, 3006, 7mmRM, 325WSM, 300WM, 338 WM. This was the one gun I saw that I felt was completely re-designed and made good use of modern technology and manufacturing techniques. Around $1000.
Last edited by 86er on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: SHOT update

Post by salvo »

86er, thanks for the update.
How do the Chappias 1886's look, quality wise?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks for the note and I look forward to your report with pictures and opinions.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Did you see the Burgess?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

There is a pic of the Uberti Burgess along with their 1875 mountie carbine on the CAS I876 forum.They are saying ithe Burgess will be out in carbine and rifle version but only in 45 colt to start.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

How about the new Low Wall's. Tom.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

86er is a stronger man that I. I think I would die of dehydration at the SHOT show - would literally drool myself to death! :wink:

Thanks for the report Joe!!! :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I am less than 60 miles from that show and cant get in! :oops: :| grrrrr
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I am less than 60 miles from that show and cant get in! :oops: :| grrrrr
I know what you mean, never have been able to go either when it's here in Las Vegas.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

You say you spoke with Mossberg about the extractor problems on the 464? Were they able to say what caused the problems? I understand they say thay have 'fixed' it, but what did it take to fix? Interested -- have a 464 with a broken extractor right now...
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

If you see any new developments on 1885 High Wall single shots/clones, I would be very interested in hearing about them -- and thanks for sharing!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

How about the new Merwin and Hulberts? They were supposed to have a booth there also and have some samples. Thanks, moodyholler
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

See top post for some more info.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Anything new from Savage? Model 99 maybe?
ED
Yer never too old
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I was at Savage for quite a while with other offerrings. I did not see a Model 99 announced or in person.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SHOT update (1/20/09)

Post by 86er »