Gave the Mossberg 464 a work out today -- 52 rounds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Gave the Mossberg 464 a work out today -- 52 rounds

Post by handyrandyrc »

Made a good little pile of brass up today! Guess I should get some more loaded up asap -- this is a fun little rifle!

I used 1.90cc of Trail Boss with a Ranch Dog 30-30 boolit on top. I dip them in Alox, Ranch Dog style, and pushed these through a .309" Lee boolit sizing die. They sound just like a .22 LR -- hit the bank with a thunk, more authority than the .22. However, velocity on these should be around 1000-1100 fps max, so around same velocity as a .22 LR. But it's about 170 grains of .30 caliber boolit hitting the dirt bank.

I had a riot. Danced some plastic bottles around that someone had left behind. Shot a few at 25 yards to see where the sights were as well.

5 out of 7 nearly can touch a quarter. Perfect for me! I'll move it out next time -- this trip was more to test function and make sure the extractor is holding up. I'm much more confident in it now -- I don't believe I'll have any problems. I certainly wasn't ginger with it -- I wanted to make sure it would hold up to rough-n-tumble working of the lever.

Feed function is perfect now. They had replaced the carrier at the repair depot, and I think this corrected my problems big time. I no longer am getting the heavy scratches on the brass that I was before they replaced the carrier.

OJ, you gonna consider taking yours out for a spin? Break an extractor, (if yours is still the 'old' one) they'll send a new one free of charge, and it is a piece of cake to replace. This is my first and only lever, and I was able to get it apart without much trouble, using Junior Doughty's Win 94 disassembly instructions.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Gave the Mossberg 464 a work out today -- 52 rounds

Post by piller »

Glad to see that your .30-30 is working. That makes me not quite so worried about whether a Mossberg is worth buying or not.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Glad to hear it is working well for you. Sounds like you had a good time. Any time spent making empty brass is a good time.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks for the range report and glad the extractor trouble is taken care of. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats,nice post.Keep us posted.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I too hope you'll keep us posted..................Thanks..............Mutt...............
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thanks for posting, interesting to read a report on the Mossberg :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Nice report and glad to see the mossberg shooting
that good...How is the fit and finish on your gun?
I had a chance to handle one at Gander mountain...
and that particular rifle did not impress me at all...
Some of the gaps between wood and metal were
really bad...and the wood was average....
but it handled well
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Glad to hear that - up 'till now, the only positive reports I'd heard were from the "experts" writing for magazines. I did mount an XS ghost ring on mine - guess I'll have to give it another try -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Glad you got 'er runnin'. Look forward to a report on some factory or equivalent ammo... hint... hint! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

You mean some full house stuff? Yup, I'll get it covered. Hornady factory Lever rounds, Winchester factory rounds, and some of my own heavy loads. I want to see how hard these Ranch Dog boolits can be pushed -- some say just around 2000 fps, but I am wondering if they will hold up to that speed in the 1 in 10" twist. We shall see!

Fit and finish is average. I can't really say that wood to steel fit is perfect, there are certainly gaps here and there. I've had it completely apart, and it looks as if these stocks are not hand-fitted. Likely run through a mill and the computer makes them all "close enough".

I must say, the rifle is VERY utilitarian. But that's the way I like mine -- it's going to get carried a lot, get dinged, scratched, etc. Working on it is very easy, it's just like a 94. Not as easy as the Marlins, from what I understand, but still quite workable to me.

More pictures and news coming as I take it out more...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you're castin' 'em outta wheel weights they oughta shine at those speeds. I shoot a gas-checked boolit outta a Lyman mold at around 2190fps and they hold together just fine... no leading and accuracy thats as good as I can shoot with iron sights.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

You running them in a 1 in 10, or 1 in 12" twist barrel?
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Glad to hear the positive report! Now, continue to shoot the heck out of that thing and report back to us from time to time.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

handyrandyrc wrote:You running them in a 1 in 10, or 1 in 12" twist barrel?
Dern technical questions! :P Believe it's 1 in 10" Older Numrich full octagon 26" barrel, but it's been a long time since I looked, and don't have my data here.

And in a Winchester Trapper which has the 1-12".

But, then again, I'm not castin' them of straight wheel weights, I run 6 parts WW to 1 part lino.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

OJ wrote:Glad to hear that - up 'till now, the only positive reports I'd heard were from the "experts" writing for magazines. I did mount an XS ghost ring on mine - guess I'll have to give it another try -:
Any pictures of your setup? I sent an e-mail to XS Sights to see which set would work on a 464. I assume a 94 set would be correct, but am not sure. What did you use, OJ?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The last one I saw at The Gun Shop looked much better than the first. Fit of the stock was much better and it seem to function well.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

handyrandyrc wrote:
OJ wrote:Glad to hear that - up 'till now, the only positive reports I'd heard were from the "experts" writing for magazines. I did mount an XS ghost ring on mine - guess I'll have to give it another try -:
Any pictures of your setup? I sent an e-mail to XS Sights to see which set would work on a 464. I assume a 94 set would be correct, but am not sure. What did you use, OJ?
Uhhh - you caught me with my memory "down" - at age 82, it's not as good as it once was. It takes a little more than just the aperture - using the Weaver base the back is D/T for (can't remember the number) :oops:

The XS is their low mount Ghost Ring Backup Sight -GBU - PART #22-2069A-500-8. That not only required a taller front sight but a "spacer" for the 0.6" Williams white strip sight.

I really like aperture sights and ghost ring sights and this combo works great - as you can see, I had great expectations and went to considerable effort - zeroing only took five shots.

You caught me in a confessing mood - explaining why I was so disappointed in gun parts failing so soon. I'll get the digital camera out, get some shots and post them here.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Glad to hear that it is working for you!

Those Trail Boss loads are a HOOT. Did well in my Marlin .30-30
and the .308MX too.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

OJ wrote:
handyrandyrc wrote:
Uhhh - you caught me with my memory "down" - at age 82, it's not as good as it once was. It takes a little more than just the aperture - using the Weaver base the back is D/T for (can't remember the number) :oops:

The XS is their low mount Ghost Ring Backup Sight -GBU - PART #22-2069A-500-8. That not only required a taller front sight but a "spacer" for the 0.6" Williams white strip sight.

I really like aperture sights and ghost ring sights and this combo works great - as you can see, I had great expectations and went to considerable effort - zeroing only took five shots.

You caught me in a confessing mood - explaining why I was so disappointed in gun parts failing so soon. I'll get the digital camera out, get some shots and post them here.

As luck would have it, I'm better with guns than cameras - well, I started with rifles in 1932 when I got my first 22 single shot for my 6th birthday and, while I was trusted with the rifle, that trust didn't extend to the Kodak - :)

At any rate, I think these shots give a fair idea of what has turned out to satisfy me -

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

Was thinking of getting one for the truck, but read somewhere that it doesn't have the "half cock" safty. That just seems unnatural for a lever.
Still may pick up a cheep, used one some day.
Levergunning & Handloading
Yeah, I roll my own pilgrim
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

444Hal wrote:Was thinking of getting one for the truck, but read somewhere that it doesn't have the "half cock" safty. That just seems unnatural for a lever.
Still may pick up a cheep, used one some day.
I don't think any new ones have the "half cock" any more. This rifle, like most, if not all lever guns today, has the "hammer block" which prevents the hammer hitting the firing pin if your chamber is loaded and you decide not to fire and put it on safety. My Winchester 95 30-06 has that and I've put it to the test at the range and it works just fine.

This bothers some lever gunners but, given a choice, I like that system better than the cross bolt safety. I remember when the auto makers stopped putting the hole in the radiator for the crank because, with the 6 volt electrics used then, that crank came in handy. My current motorcycle is the first on I've ever had without a back-up kick starter and that worried me for a while but it's never been a problem.

Times change - :roll:

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

For anyone wanting to see my 464 with the XS Ghosst Ring Sights - go back to page #1.

My memory came back - the 464 is drilled & tapped for the Weaver 403 base mount.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER