Lets Talk Model 88 Please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Lets Talk Model 88 Please

Post by Bigahh »

Guys I ran into a beauty today. A Winchester Model 88 in .308, post 64,I don't recall it talked about much on here, at least I don't remember anyway. It is in beautiful condition. A bit pricey in my mind for 1,100.00 with a Leupold fixed power on it. Are these quality rifles. Had to put my 12 year old Golden down today, and I am really down in the dumps about it, so the Misses ordered me to get a new gun to help me through it. I agree with her, and was thinking of a BLR until I ran into this one. Help
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lets Talk Model 88 Please

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Bigahh, sorry about your buddy...it is one of the toughest things a man can do. That being said, noth'n wrong with the 88, fine levergun, great lock up, handles power. $1100 sounds a bit steep though, I've found them in the $700 to $900 range lately. I'd say that you should drive down to Fond Du Lac tomorrow and check out the gun show, over four hundred tables I've heard.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I bought a very early one just like it two years ago for a little less than $700. They are a fine rifle, maybe I might have got a deal?
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Sorry to hear about your friend.

The model 88 is a very good rifle. A little complicated to take apart but nowhere near as bad as a BLR. The price seems pretty high even including the Leupold scope. I see them selling on Gunbroker in that $600- 800 range, even the pre64s. They aren't quite as smooth as the BLR but not bad at all. Replacement magazines are hideously high priced but then so are the early BLR (pre 81). I should say "spare" magazines as they are well built and there are few problems with them, something I can't say about the early BLR mags.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Sorry to hear about your buddy.

I picked up a pre-64 88 in 308 (no scope) within the last 3-4 months at a local shop. Metal is excellent, but the wood has spots where the finish appears to have chipped off. I shot an inch and a half group at 100 yards the first 3 shots out of the barrel with open sights, my old eyes, and Federal blue box 150's. They are good rifles.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The Winchester 88 is indeed a very fine rifle. I bought my first (1963) one, about three years ago for $500. I bought my second one about nine months ago (1964) for $450 and it came with a generic Jap scope on it. Both of my rifles are in .308 and both will turn in 1.5 MOA accuracy with good ammo. Shop around, you should be able to beat that price by a considerable degree.
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Fine rifles..have had many,down to several now..That price should get you new in box,with hang tags... Nate
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I thought the price was too high. Glad I have you guys to lean on!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorry to hear about your dog. Gotta suck. Our lab is going to be 15 next month and I know it's comming.

As far as the 88. The other guys are right. $1,100 is way to much. I bought a 308 last year in almost new condition for $385.

Was tack driver but I just didn't care for it and sold it off.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Bigahh wrote:I thought the price was too high. Glad I have you guys to lean on!
Sorry about your dog.

Keep looking for another M88 - they are fine rifles and shoots well. I bought one here in Sweden four years ago for $200, and it is my favorite deer and moose gun. It has been equipped with a William sight and Warne bases, and there are two scopes to alternate with the irons, a Leupold 2-7x33 and a Swarovski 6x42. The latter is way heavy with 1½lb, but it is sharp enough to look through until night falls. However I prefer to carry this guns without a scope, as it is light an handy. It shoots well enough over the irons. With scope it is capable of 1"@100yds.

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great rifles, these two have been used by a friend and his father to take about 80 deer in 30 years. I have not seen any in beautiful condition go at all cheap. I paid $770 for an NIB in 91.

mine is as it was purcashed and 500 rds but has taken nothing

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The 88s are really liked by some, but you might want to be more careful then normal about carrying a loaded round in the chamber when hunting. I have not had this happen to me, but I have read that the 88 has been known to fire, even with the safety on, if jolted or jared, or whatever.

I even read this on this board by someone, in the not to distant past. However, I am sure that many folks have hunted for years with an 88 and never experienced this.

Just a heads up, but it may be nothing.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Lastmohecken wrote:The 88s are really liked by some, but you might want to be more careful then normal about carrying a loaded round in the chamber when hunting. I have not had this happen to me, but I have read that the 88 has been known to fire, even with the safety on, if jolted or jared, or whatever.

I even read this on this board by someone, in the not to distant past. However, I am sure that many folks have hunted for years with an 88 and never experienced this.

Just a heads up, but it may be nothing.
I wrote of this condition. It has happened to me and to others. They are beautiful rifles and tend to be wonderfully accurate but they have a complicated trigger group. Many smiths will not work on an 88 trigger. Winchester was aware of this little little idiosyncrasy. I do not mean to demean anybody rifle just something to keep in mind. If Bernie Morrison of Hereford, AZ. is still in business, he knows his way around an 88 as well as just about anyone. Regards, 1886.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Sorry about your Pal.......... :(

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Thanks Guys! Next bird season will not be the same as it has been for the last 11+ years. Not ready for another one for a little while. I guess I will have to chase Deer around with my Bow more often. Thank You for the valued info also!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

There is nothing better than hunting grouse with a dog. A good dog is hard to replace. Also the model 88 and BLR are to different birds as far as handling and balance.
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

Geeze, I had to put down both of my dogs a few years back, due to sickness, and old age.
I miss them still.
I too went shopping to ease the pain.
I got mine for $600 CDN a few years ago. Been used to take a few deer, and coyotes so far. No luck on the moose hunt for me, but maybe next year.
Those old dogs are still with me, on every hunt.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Very sorry that you lost your friend...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags