The meatcicle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

The meatcicle

Post by bigbore442001 »

I have discovered a method of hunting predators that started with some sportsmen in the state of Maine over the past week . Here in New England it is legal to bait predators in most states including the one I am in. One method that has been very successful is called the meatsicle. Basically you collect meat scraps in a 5 gallon white food bucket, fill it with water and freeze it. You then place it in your hunting location and spread birdseed to attract crows which will attract other predators to your site. You set up a couple of treestands with the wind in favor of your direction and wait for the coyotes and other predators to show up.

Today I cleaned out my freezers of things I will not eat. I still collect deer hearts and livers along with other things and so I put them in a bucket wearing rubber gloves along with turkey skins and a freezer burned trout. I have it hanging under the deck as we're about to get a cold snap. Hopefully I will be able to set it up at my spot Monday or Tuesday. To work best you should let it sit for a week or so before you begin to hunt off of it.

I'll let everyone know how well it works.

I know some will state," Why don't you just call them in? " For some reason calling is a very poor way to hunt coyotes in New England. I suspect that they are so used to human contact that any odd sound like a call makes them more suspicious rather that curious.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The meatcicle

Post by TedH »

I'll be interested to hear how it works.
NRA Life Member
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I hope you don't get a heatwave and a case of CRS!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That is a pretty neat idea. I too would love to hear the results.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I've heard of this technique before, as an avid predator hunter I'm anxious to hear a report on your success. Make sure you take pictures.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I'm not worried about a heat wave right now. I arose to a temperature of three below zero. I will put it out today at the club property at the end of the old rifle range area. I want to set up a treestand to the south of the bait location about fifty yards away with the stand abutting a stream. I want to set up my trail camera and check it in three days. I'll see what happens.