Wanna NEW WINCHESTER 1892?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Wanna NEW WINCHESTER 1892?

Post by Griff »

1907 Winchester 1892, 25-20; 'bout now I wish I was independently wealthy...

:twisted: BUT... I'll be takin' it right out to the range for accuracy tests!!!!! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wanna NEW WINCHESTER 1892?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Yeah I saw that last night....
and the wallet is empty!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:shock: :shock: :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That, is incredible. Thanks Griff.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Thanks Griff for posting it. I don't think I have ever seen an unfired, in the box, Winchester 92 sporting rifle. It would be hard to take it out and shoot it but how else would you know if it is accurate? :)
"That'll Be The Day"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rangerider7 wrote:Thanks Griff for posting it. I don't think I have ever seen an unfired, in the box, Winchester 92 sporting rifle. It would be hard to take it out and shoot it but how else would you know if it is accurate? :)
Perzactly!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That is beautiful. I'd love to clean the grease out of it then feel the action. Duplicate the springs for a new one. I'd say I'd go shoot it, but what in the world would you shoot with such a small round. Mice, bunnies, cheewawas, cats????? Now if it were a 44WCF ...... Whooo boy I'd be drooling.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

That's really cool but in a way kind of sick; the thought of that rifle sitting there used and untouched for all that time. :o :shock:
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Although the gun is "as new in box", it is not even near 100 yrs old. The barrel markings indicate a post 900,000 serial number and likey a pre-WWII, end of series, model '92. 9 Gs is a stretch, but a collector who "needs" just such an example might very well cough it up. It will be interesting to see. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I use my 25-20s on turkeys and coyotes. It's a ball. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

WOW, I WOULD LIKE THAT ONE! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I certainly don't own any $9K '92s, but do have a couple of 1892 .25-20 carbines and a Remington 25 pump in that caliber. To say that I am a fan of that little number would definitely be an understatement. I have killed everthing from ground squirrels to coyotes with those sweet little shooters and generally have one in the old jeep at all times. This here's couple of 'em, the other's down at the ranch, prob'ly rusting in the jeep as it sits in the garage. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Now that is really NICE :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I sure doubt a guy could find a better std. configuration 1892! Pretty cool!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

WOW.
It really looks untouched!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Wow, that is incredible. Anyone want to loan me 'bout $7500? :wink:
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Holy molly!!! :mrgreen: 8) :D
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Mike D. wrote:...prob'ly rusting in the jeep as it sits in the garage. :D
Got a pic of the Jeep? :D
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

J Miller wrote:I'd say I'd go shoot it, but what in the world would you shoot with such a small round. Mice, bunnies, cheewawas, cats?????
Now, even with a decent bounty, it would take a whole stack of cheewawas to pay for that thing. Maybe even two stacks.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I think that is one of those exceedingly rare rifles that should remain a safe queen.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Nice box, nicer gun.....I'd shoot within two minutes of hold'n it....then I'd feel guilty as heck.

Thanks Griff.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:
Mike D. wrote:...prob'ly rusting in the jeep as it sits in the garage. :D
Got a pic of the Jeep? :D
OK. CJ7, long wheelbase, straight 6. Just a huntin' rig. There's another there, too, a SWB, V8. The darned thing lost the clutch linkage out in the middle of nowhere, down at tre ranch. We had to walk a long way uphill and radio for help.
ImageImage
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Is WOW! too much of an understatement? 1886.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

MikeD,

That is some kind of pretty country, cool Jeep and I see the rifles get a work out! Looks like you got it figured out!

I've got a 07 Rubicon and a 41 Wyllis military, all together and I drive it but someday needs to be restored.

Geoff
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

There's something wrong with that gun. First, the barrel markings are totally wrong for a 1907 model 1892. Second, I suspect that the reciever has been reblued; the screw holes on the left side look dished. Also, I think the lever was color case hardend in 1907 ... at least my 1907 model 1894 SRC has a CC'd lever. This one is blued.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Alright you experts is it real or not? I'm not anywhere near an expert on Winchesters but I'm learning. Is this one a redo or NIB? :?:
"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Just the barrel markings alone disqualify this rifle as a 1907 gun. I'm on the road now and don't have access to my books as to when those markings came out but I do know that it was long after 1907. I have a couple Model 1892's made in 1913 and 1914 and even they have older barrel markings than this gun. A dead givaway is the 'Model 92' on the barrel. This gun is a re-do and you can take that to the bank.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

I see there is only 3 hrs left on this auction.

My 1892 is a 1908 vintage, serial number 452,xxx also in .25-20. Like KirkD says, the markings are different than the one in the auction but mines a round barrel, if that makes a difference regarding the markings.

What is the situation on that rear barrel sight??

Geoff
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It does not make a difference oct or round. My 1914 Model 1892 is oct and it still has the older style markings. Winchester changed it from Model 1892 to Model 92 sometime in the late 1920's as I recall. That barrel is Marked Model 92. There is no way that is a 1907 made barrel. I'm all almost certain the receiver has been re blued as well. I sure feel sorry for anyone who pays a NIB price for that non-original, re-finished rifle.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Without actually handling the gun, it is nigh to impossible to tell if it is a "restoration", or original finish. Like I said in an earlier post, the serial number on that rifle would have to be in the 900,000 plus serial number range to wear those markings. At that late date, everything on the 92 Model was blued, with no parts case hardened. That being said, I seriously doubt that a receiver, bearing a number in the 530,000 range, would be hanging around in the parts bin for 30 yrs. So, either the number is a typo, or there is something fishy going on. Like Kirk says, the buyer is on his own. :|
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Well gang, the auction is over. Some poor fella fell for it, hook, line, and sinker. He "won" that gun at $11,000. OH MY!! I had sent the seller a message stating my concerns over his serial number and the barrel markings, but received no acknowledgement from him. Par for the course on GB. After all, the seller knows best, and the rest of us are ig'nant boneheads. I seriously doubt that the "buyer", if he is a real person, will ever be able to able to get better than a 10% return on his "investment". He just lost around 10Gs with that "NIB" '92 Winchester. :(
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

I see it went for $11,000!!!!! The economic downturn hasn't reached everybody obviously!!! HOLY SMOKE!!!

Is that rear sight on the barrel a factory option???

Geoff
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If that rifle sold for 11 g's, it was a definite act of fraud, assuming of course, there were no typo's involved.

Look at the wood--its too dark-- I personally think it was a factory rebarrel and refinish, then left alone. The box its in could be the shipping box that Winchester used to send the gun back.

I would like to see the stamping on the tang :wink:

Whats that Latin phrase? Caveate Emptor? or something like that.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I e-mailed the seller. He e-mailed me back and said "Thanks............I think." He really didn't know. I only told him this is FYI. and left it at that.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'll wager that under the tang sight the markings will read:
MODEL 1892
WINCHESTER
TRADE MARK REG. IN U.S, PAT. OFF.

Winchester would be in larger letters with serifs and be preceded and followed by 1/4" dashes. This is the 3rd type markings, used on the '92 Model after serial number 500,000.
Sixgun, your suggestion is most likely the correct one. The gun was shipped back, refinished and rebarreled, and returned in that carton. A simple letter request to Cody would certainly
tell a more complete story. The "buyer" will be understandibly upset if he does ask for a letter to add to his 11,000 dollar "investment". :)
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

The guy just e-mailed me back and said ,He will disclosed this info, and asked what is it worth. I said $3000 to $4000 and box $500 to $1000. What do you guys think?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks to all you guys that posted on this... I really don't know much about 1892s and appreciate all expertise you guys have. Not that I could afford to even drool over a piece like this, a rebarrel or not. :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

If the serial number is correct then the rifle has been rebarreled. The Winchester proof mark on the barrel, however, would indicate that the rebarrel was a factory job. Sixgun is also right about the wood being too dark. Other mint Winchesters I've seen for sale have had much lighter wood ...new looking.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have my 1892 32wcf 24inch round barrel rifle made in 1917 in front of me. On the left side of the barrel in front of the action is stamped 32 WCF. The tang is marked as MikeD noted. I hope this is cleared before anyone gets hurt in the deal.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15