Suggested loads for 38 special or .357 in Wichester rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rm.unsworth
Levergunner

Suggested loads for 38 special or .357 in Wichester rifle

Post by rm.unsworth »

I'm a shooter in the UK who is about to take part in a lever action rifle competition. At the moment only use jacketed bullets but in this instance we are only allowed to use lead heads.
Any suggestions of a good reliable load would be appreciated. Maximum range in this instance would be 100 yds.
Thanks in advance
Derek :?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Suggested loads for 38 special or .357 in Wichester rifle

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't have any load data handy (there are reloading forums like reloadersnest and ammoguide) but it might help folks to suggest useful loads if you post what kinds of powder(s) you either have or can easily get...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a Rossi .357 carbine that is smooth with both rounds, just watch what you try to feed it. Mine will take the semi-wadcutters in both rounds, some won't. Any of the pistol loads will due for what you want I think. A lead round bullet like what SASS shooters use would due fine also. There are a bunch of loaders here that can give you more help.
By the way welcome to a great levergun forum, we have a few shooters from England, Nath and GameKeeper the most active posters.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

If you can get Unique over there try about 6 gr behind either a 125 gr or a 158 gr lead bullet, I use 6.2 behind both.
ADI AP70N I use 7.5 gr behind the 125 gr and I've just loaded some at 5.5 behind a 158 but haven't tried them yet.
I use a teflon coated bullet so YMMV.
Other than those two check a reloading manual and you will find half a dozen other suitable powders, just remember to keep the speed down, most people will tell you that 1600 FPS is max with lead but some start leading much lower than that.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Derek,

1st of all; Welcome to the Forum.

2nd, what distance is your competition to be at?

Is it paper punching, steel dinging, or knockdowns?

What Winchester lever action are you using? An mdl 94, 1892, '73, or '66?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I don't know what powders you have available to you over there but here is what works well in my Wincester 94 .357. I use either a roundnose 158 gr lead or round nosed flat point 158 gr lead bullets. I load to 1150 fps which is just under the speed of sound, same as standard velocity .22's and the trajectory is the same. Accuracy runs 2-3 moa @ 100 yds. I use 5.0 grs of Unique, 4.2 grs of Bullseye or 4.9 grs of win 231. All are very accurate with the edge going to Unique. If these powders are not available to you something in the same burn range should work similarly. Hope this helps.