Shooting show on History Channel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Shooting show on History Channel

Post by Mike S. »

For anyone interested, the History Channel is running a show right now called Extreme Marksmen. There is another espisode on at nine (central time), then I think they are showing both of them again later tonight.

Looks like a pretty good show so far.

Mike
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Shooting show on History Channel

Post by Hillbilly »

Trick shooters amaze me... I try to catch those shows on History Channel whenever they run.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

It was nice to see someone shooting an 1860 Henry for a change! I only caught part of it but enjoyed it.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I saw it.
Some pretty impressive stuff. The one fellow, I forget his name kept praising the Win 92 in 45 & sounded like he thought 45 was an original chambering.
I'm not that up on the old Winchesters but I dont think thats correct. Am I wrong?
I know Colt chambered Revolvers for the early Win rifle calibres but didn't think Winchester chambered any rifles for pistol cartriges until recently.
Still a fun show to watch. :wink:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Leverdude wrote:I saw it.
Some pretty impressive stuff. The one fellow, I forget his name kept praising the Win 92 in 45 & sounded like he thought 45 was an original chambering.
I'm not that up on the old Winchesters but I dont think thats correct. Am I wrong?
I know Colt chambered Revolvers for the early Win rifle calibres but didn't think Winchester chambered any rifles for pistol cartriges until recently.
Still a fun show to watch. :wink:
You're right leverdude....no 45 Colt chambering was ever offered back in the day. But lots of "Pistol" calibers: 44/40, 38/40, 32/20...etc were offered in the 92 early on.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Not to nit pick but the 44-40 and company were rifle rounds that were then chambered in revolvers. And as said, the 45 Colt was a revolver round and not offered in rifles - probably due to the small rim and lack of extractor groove on the original balloon-head cases which made it unsuitable.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Not to nit pick but the 44-40 and company were rifle rounds that were then chambered in revolvers. And as said, the 45 Colt was a revolver round and not offered in rifles - probably due to the small rim and lack of extractor groove on the original balloon-head cases which made it unsuitable.
Hey OSOK, you didn't pick up on my " " in there..... :wink: Just saying that is the way the general gun public thinks of those rounds(and just to be clear, not making fun of anyone here with that either). :)
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

I sure hope Tom Knapp makes it to Indiana this summer as I would really like to see him perform. His touring schedule will be out in Feb IIRC.
http://www.tomknapp.net/

I would have liked to been around to see the likes of Ed Mcgivern, The Fabulous Topperwines(sp?) and Herb Parsons perform as well. I bet Herb Parsons was quite the character. :)
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Thanks guys. I like being right. 8) Theres usually a bunch of mistakes in shows about guns.
Most folks do think of 44/40's & similar rounds as pistol rounds just because they are short I guess & todays rifle calibres are generally long.
Far as I could tell just looking quickly Marlin never made 45's either. Maybe the rifle companies just saw no need since Colt was useing theirs?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Leverdude wrote:Thanks guys. I like being right. 8) Theres usually a bunch of mistakes in shows about guns.
Most folks do think of 44/40's & similar rounds as pistol rounds just because they are short I guess & todays rifle calibres are generally long.
Far as I could tell just looking quickly Marlin never made 45's either. Maybe the rifle companies just saw no need since Colt was useing theirs?

Leverdude.....if it was up to our wives, we'd never be right! :wink: The worst of the gun shows has to be the recent history channel special on the BAR(and Bonnie and Clyde). They way they show it, everyone including Frank Hamer was shooting at Bonnie and Clyde with BAR's when they were killed....rediculous. They nevereven mention Hamer's Rem. Mod. 8 with 20 round clip which was essentially a mini-BAR, or the shotguns and other weapons.

Steve b....would have been nice to see Bill Jordan shoot as well.. They say he was one of the fastest at getting an accurate pistol shot off, period. He could rest a light bulb on the top of his hand held by his side, drop his hand, pull and fire his revolver all before the light bulb had the chance to land in his empty holster.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I sure wasn't impressed with the fellow who shot the O in saloon at 100 FEET. Hey thats 33 yards, any pretty decent shot should have made that one first time out! The Hickock story in various versions runs from 50 yards to 75 yards and that's a whole different ball game. I was most impressed wiht the whip felllow and Byron Fergeson as i know how hard it is to work with unsighted weapons.