my .375 winchester and old friend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

my .375 winchester and old friend

Post by shdwlkr »

This is a winchester big bore that I had built up the way they all should have been
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: my .375 winchester and old friend

Post by kimwcook »

Another Ysabel kid's school of photography graduate.

Looks good, the rifle I mean.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Details Dude! Details---close ups!! I am presently redoing a near mint Marlin 375. I striped it off all of it's finsh (wood & metal) and rust bluing it, along with an antique oil finish on the wood.---Is that what you did?------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

shadow walker,

Glad you got the picture posting thing to work.

I said I liked that rifle yesterday, and I think I like it more today. What kind of finish is on it. Looks like a matt blue in the pic.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Joe
it has a brown duracoat finish that I need to touch up. I really like it and shoot it when I can. Some don't like a heavy rifle but I am old school and with big calibers you want a heavy rifle. the felt recoil is much less then the short 20 inch one in the same caliber I got.
Lets see I have a 20", 24" and a 26 " 30-30 and a model 92 with 24" barrel and a spare action and a 20"and 26" 375 winchester and a 1886 with 22" barrel and I think that is all the levers I have right now.
NRA Endowment member
DAV
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

shdwlkr wrote:This is a winchester big bore that I had built up the way they all should have been
Nice rifle--and you're absolutely right about "the way they all should have been". Unfortunately, the design teams at Winchester in those days, spurred on by the marketing folks, had dorky looking commemoratives on their mind in that era. They'd still be in business if they kept their old, time-proven look, IMO.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I have to stop looking for lever action rifles!!
I stopped into my local firearm store today to see about getting a shotgun and while waiting for one of the clerks/assistant manager to show up what did I find but model 92 in 357 with a long barrel made in japan so of course I had to put it on layaway and then I found a model 86 that is only around 30 away from the one I have so if it is still there when the model 92 is paid for it will come home with me also.
I really do think it is a disease this liking winchester/marlin/savage/browning lever action firearms. I only have winchesters as I like them best so keep looking for them.
Joe I think it is all your fault as you where the one who wanted me to post that pic of my levers and they just where on my mind today. Sure beats drinking it all up and having nothing but a hangover though so I guess you did good today for me at least Ha ha
NRA Endowment member
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

shdwlkr,

Glad to have been some help. I have the same problem. I want lots of them, but don't have the wherewithal to satisfy my wants.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Joe
no neither do I that is why layways at my dealer is a good and bad thing but it keeps me on my toes. He usually has some good things in Jan, Feb, and sometimes march then it gets hard for the rest of the year. My wife let me spend a few thousand a couple years ago so i can stand getting only 3 or 4 a year now.
NRA Endowment member
DAV