OT- Paging Eastwood fans

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Paging Eastwood fans

Post by Otto »

Clint Eastwood, as far as I have ever noticed, uses pistols in his right hand. Earlier in the week, I was watching "Joe Kidd" and, late in the movie, he uses a scoped rifle left-handedly. Now I'm watching "Unforgiven" and he fired the Spencer the same way. I didn't note how he fired the shotgun in the beginning, but I'm pretty sure that, at the end, he puts it to his right shoulder.

EDIT Hmm, it seems this is a popular topic on alot of different websites. The consensus seems to be that he is ambidextrous.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Paging Eastwood fans

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Chuck Connors was ambidextrous also. Many times he shot from either side. :D
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Chuck Connors was ambidextrous also. Many times he shot from either side. :D
All right now, be nice.

"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Next time I watch "Blood Work" I'll check and see if writes with the right or left hand. Pretty sure he's right handed.

Maybe the director flopped the film to make the scene fit better. You should check closely for anything with writing on it, and see if it's backwards.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

El Chivo wrote:
Maybe the director flopped the film to make the scene fit better. You should check closely for anything with writing on it, and see if it's backwards.
When he shoots the Spencer left-handedly, the hammer is still on the right side.

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Maybe he switches sides to give a better angle for the camera, during a certain scene.
NRA Life Member, Patron
dawei

Post by dawei »

Otto wrote:Clint Eastwood, as far as I have ever noticed, uses pistols in his right hand. Earlier in the week, I was watching "Joe Kidd" and, late in the movie, he uses a scoped rifle left-handedly. Now I'm watching "Unforgiven" and he fired the Spencer the same way. I didn't note how he fired the shotgun in the beginning, but I'm pretty sure that, at the end, he puts it to his right shoulder.

EDIT Hmm, it seems this is a popular topic on a lot of different websites. The consensus seems to be that he is ambidextrous.
Most folks shoot the same as their dominant hand; i.e.right eye dominant, right handed, = shoot right handed. A few of us (me), are 'Cross Dominant"; left eye dominant, right handed = ????? In my case I do all of life's tasks right handed save for shooting which I split up. I shoot a handgun right handed, rifle/shotgun I shoot left handed. I suspect the same is true for Clint Eastwood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

flatnose wrote:I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
:lol: :roll: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

It doesn't matter what side an actor "shoots" from, he doesn't have to hit anything. I think the available light, the set, and the camera angles may determine the "hand" he shoots from. Also, shooting from either hand may be part of his character in the film. More important to me would be how well a particular actor could shoot in real life.
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

Good friend of mine shoots rifles left handed and handguns right handed.

he is left handed but also has an eye that he says isn't much good, can't recall if he ever mentioned which eye.
AQHA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I trained myself to shoot pistols right handed so that when I had a prisoner in the back seat the handgun wouldn't be exposed to them. I still shoot rifles better left handed and shotguns have to be shot left handed.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

as a side note just got a birthday card that had Clint's eyes peekin on the front,
opened it up and the theme to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly played, way cool.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Now I am gonna have to sit down and watch Outlaw Josey Wales real close and see which hand Ol Josey uses when he snipes the rope to the fairy and sends the Union Army on a Missouri Boat Ride. My guess is carrying those dual pistols makes him deadly with both hands! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

In "2 Mules for Sister Sara", Clint shoots right handed, but in the scene where he's throwing dynamite in the fort, he throws left handed. In one of his earlier films, it may have been "Coogan's Bluff", he signs his name left handed. I think I read somewhere that he is a natural left hander, but I imagine you do learn to be ambidexterous in Hollywood.
Well done is better than well said.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

horsesoldier03 wrote:Now I am gonna have to sit down and watch Outlaw Josey Wales real close and see which hand Ol Josey uses when he snipes the rope to the fairy and sends the Union Army on a Missouri Boat Ride. My guess is carrying those dual pistols makes him deadly with both hands! :lol:
Right hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZhxW5ym68

Seven-minute mark.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

One of my favorite, if absurd, scenes is from "Back to the Future 3" where the Colt sales rep tries to get Marty to shoot right handed (abysmally) until he shakes him off and blasts everything in the shooting gallery with his Left. (he supposedly learned on video games... but what the heck)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I am not Clint Eastwood, but I throw right, kick right, eat and write left, and shoot some handguns better as a lefty, some better as a rightie. Generally, if a handgun is double-action, I shoot it better as a rightie, and better lefty if single-action. I am left-eye dominant, so scoped rifles, and long guns with peep/ghost ring sights need to be shot in lefty mode, but barrel-mounted sights often work well with either side, and bead-sighted shotguns are OK from either shoulder, except that if it has a vent rib, it messes me up with either eye, with right being worse. Doc said something about dain bramage. :)
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I'am basically lefthanded, in that I write left handed, shoot mostly left handed, but I can shoot a pistol with either hand, and I have taught myself to shoot a rifle righthanded, because sometimes when I am deer hunting a deer will come up on my wrong side, and I would rather be able to shoot without squirming around, etc. And it's paid off over the years, as I have killed several deer with my off hand. But I never could shoot clays with a shotgun right handed although I am right eyed.

It's funny though, I throw a rock righthanded and cannot throw lefthanded hardly at all. I bat right handed, I shoot a bow righthanded, and cannot shoot a bow lefthanded. I run a mouse on my computer right handed, and would hate to have to use my mouse left handed.

I can chop a tree down with an axe using either hand, or can hammer a nail with either hand, but I prefer my left if I have a choice.

How's that for being mixed up?
NRA Life Member, Patron
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Jayhawker wrote:In "2 Mules for Sister Sara", Clint shoots right handed, but in the scene where he's throwing dynamite in the fort, he throws left handed. In one of his earlier films, it may have been "Coogan's Bluff", he signs his name left handed. I think I read somewhere that he is a natural left hander, but I imagine you do learn to be ambidexterous in Hollywood.
Maybe Clint does the sporting things right-handed because of peer pressure, like many lefties.
I'm a lefty; eat, write, do fine work with left hand. But I do everything else right handed - shoot, spar (when I was younger), throw a ball, swing a bat, even swing a police baton (again, when younger), etc.

But that's because my first baseball mitt was a hand-me-down from my right handed brothers, and because I was taught sports and shooting by my right handed relatives and friends at home. I think it's as simple as that. As for shooting right and left handed in various scenes, it's my understanding that accuracy is not really a factor when filming a movie. :P
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

dawei wrote:
Otto wrote:Clint Eastwood, as far as I have ever noticed, uses pistols in his right hand. Earlier in the week, I was watching "Joe Kidd" and, late in the movie, he uses a scoped rifle left-handedly. Now I'm watching "Unforgiven" and he fired the Spencer the same way. I didn't note how he fired the shotgun in the beginning, but I'm pretty sure that, at the end, he puts it to his right shoulder.

EDIT Hmm, it seems this is a popular topic on a lot of different websites. The consensus seems to be that he is ambidextrous.
Most folks shoot the same as their dominant hand; i.e.right eye dominant, right handed, = shoot right handed. A few of us (me), are 'Cross Dominant"; left eye dominant, right handed = ????? In my case I do all of life's tasks right handed save for shooting which I split up. I shoot a handgun right handed, rifle/shotgun I shoot left handed. I suspect the same is true for Clint Eastwood.
My father is right-handed and left eyed. I have learned never to shoot a pistol that he has sighted in :lol:

I am one of those who is right-handed pretty much all the time. A few years ago, I had a piece of metal imbedded in my right eye and thought I would try to shoot a rifle left-handed. I actually did fairly well because I didn't flinch as much which helped even more when I could finally see out of my right eye again.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Gun Smith wrote:It doesn't matter what side an actor "shoots" from, he doesn't have to hit anything. I think the available light, the set, and the camera angles may determine the "hand" he shoots from. Also, shooting from either hand may be part of his character in the film. More important to me would be how well a particular actor could shoot in real life.
+1 Yep - would be interesting to see how proficiently many actors can/could shot!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

A couple of days ago, I saw the new Eastwood flick Grand Torino. He used a Garand rifle and a 1911 right handed in that film. It was a first class movie..one of is best. It has some action in it, but at it's heart it is the story of a hard man with some real problems that came to grips with his personal deamons.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Okay.

In "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" he shoots the rifle right-handedly.

In "Joe Kidd" he swings the clay pot with his left hand.

While assembling the scoped rifle, he initially holds it in his right hand and assembles it with his left. He fumbles slightly, not a lot, and switches hands. He fires it left-handedly.

In clips from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" "Joe Kidd" "Fistful of Dollars" "Pale Rider" "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and "High Plains Drifter" when he rides a horse, he holds the reins in his left hand.